• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anonymous

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that some members like being "anonymous" (I have some idea who they are), but why? Isn't this a forum where we share and discuss ideas, and to learn. Is it not defeating the purpose of the forum if one hides? If so, why log in (unless you want to jump into a topic - but that gives you away
wink.gif
)?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings. Â Ideally none of us would be masked...but then, this is the internet. Â Â
sad.gif
I suppose if we actually got together it might be a different story. Â Who knows? Â I hope that regional meetings, e.g. StyleForum members getting together in NYC, Chicago, etc. will put people more at ease.

vero_group

Reaction score
I chose not to be anonymous because I wanted to be open and honest about who I am. So, here I am.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings. Â Ideally none of us would be masked...but then, this is the internet. Â Â
sad.gif
I suppose if we actually got together it might be a different story. Â Who knows? Â I hope that regional meetings, e.g. StyleForum members getting together in NYC, Chicago, etc. will put people more at ease.
Yes I agree, this being the internet. But surely there is no need to be anonymous if one is already hidden by an alias. Unless of course one has p***** off forum members.
wink.gif

quill

Reaction score
I'm not sure to what degree you mean by anonymity. I've communicated a few things about myself on this board, but I've also kept some things private, based on an unfortunate experience from another chat board. It began innocently enough, but I found that it quickly developed into a very awkward situtation in which this other person knew where to contact me, and used some of my personal information on the board (which I gave out confidentially via personal messaging) in an inconsiderate and reckless manner. No disrespect to anyone here at all, but as the saying goes, "Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I very much like the folks I've met on this board. But in the future, I will extend those relationships further with a healthy respect for sound judgement. If someone contacts me personally, I treat that person's words as confidential, and would never reveal the content unless I knew the other person had okayed it. As someone once said, "Just play nice."

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure to what degree you mean by anonymity. I've communicated a few things about myself on this board, but I've also kept some things private, based on an unfortunate experience from another chat board. It began innocently enough, but I found that it quickly developed into a very awkward situtation in which this other person knew where to contact me, and used some of my personal information on the board (which I gave out confidentially via personal messaging) in an inconsiderate and reckless manner. No disrespect to anyone here at all, but as the saying goes, "Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I very much like the folks I've met on this board. But in the future, I will extend those relationships further with a healthy respect for sound judgement. If someone contacts me personally, I treat that person's words as confidential, and would never reveal the content unless I knew the other person had okayed it. As someone once said, "Just play nice."
Actually, my question was about the "anonymous" log in. Why would one not want to be listed among the active members?

quill

Reaction score
Actually, my question was about the "anonymous" log in. Â Why would one not want to be listed among the active members?
OOPS.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Leave it to quill to totally take something out of context.
dozingoff.gif
Sorry for the diatribe on something nobody cares about.
biggrin.gif
NOW I understand what you mean (and tomorrow, I'll start in on colors and shapes
biggrin.gif
).

marc37

Reaction score
With all the nuts around [these days] you cannot take risks. Emails can reveal business or personal names. lt wouldn't be hard to track down a man who wears Prada with church's shoes in a business or work place. Anyway: who wants spam sent to their mailbox? lt is better to be safe than to take any chances. l would love to be up-front but l can't take a risk. l have other people to think about as well.

vero_group

Reaction score
With all the nuts around [these days] you cannot take risks. Emails can reveal business or personal names. lt wouldn't be hard to track down a man who wears Prada with church's shoes in a business or work place. Anyway: who wants spam sent to their mailbox? lt is better to be safe than to take any chances. l would love to be up-front but l can't take a risk. l have other people to think about as well.
I've been "in public" on the Web for several years now and have had no problems beyond spam, which I filter out the best I can anyway. I've gone public for credibility reasons and to allow business deals to come my way. Business people want to know you are real, legit, and have nothing to hide. You may remember that I had a variety of NWT Dunhill clothes for sale on eBay about a year back. I found the seller of about 125 NWT Dunhill items on eBay, but my main buyer found me via my website, which has my name and email address. He paid me three times as much per item as I had paid for them. My total return on the deal: 344%. That's a return I'm willing to stay public for.
smile.gif

marc37

Reaction score
l totally understand what you are saying Vero_group but you have to remember, this is not business, it is a forum. Besides, l am not exactly a popular member of this forum as it is.
wink.gif
Regards: gr8-man b8-man.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads