• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone ever switched careers from science to anything else?

bugger

Reaction score
I recently graduated this June, and I majored in chemistry from a school that is pretty respected for its chemistry program. I currently work at a large pharmaceutical company as an intern. However, being in this work environment, I realized that I don't want to pursue science in the future. Since the skills are so specialized, I feel that I am essentially starting from square one in terms of job experience and skills.

Has anyone switched tracks from a STEM field into something else? I'm interested in publishing, brand development, PR, design and marketing, so I figure I should start building a portfolio. Thanks for any help.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a STEM person myself, but I can tell you that STEM people are very employable outside of their field. I'd take this opportunity to start networking, meet people and figure out what you might want to do in the future. If you want to get out of science, I'd guess a JD and an MBA are your top choices. I would avoid the JD unless you get into a top 14 law school or really want to be a lawyer, because otherwise the job market is tough for lawyers and tougher for JDs who decide they don't want to do law. For MBA, get into the best program you can but there's still going to be a value in having a scientific background and an MBA and you can probably work with that. If you put in a few years and go to grad school, pretty much any opportunity will be open to you if you are smart, driven, work hard and build your network.

If you want to switch more immediately, networking and meeting people is probably still your best strategy, but your strategy will be different. I would suggest that you not discount the value of getting some STEM experience if you want to work on the business side, as you could find a role that values your experience plus broader business expertise.

Sorry I can't give you the personal STEM to something else story, but I've seen enough good people make the switch that I feel comfortable offering the above.

bugger

Reaction score
You're right, like anything else it does boil down to how well you can network. I suppose I am lucky that I am still new career-wise. I imagine that the i switching careers becomes less "interesting" and a more of a novelty or a red flag the older I get. Definitely do not want to pursue the JD route or the MBA route, I guess I really want to stay out of biotech if I can help it. Thanks again for the insight.

papa kot

Reaction score
After becoming a full-stack (well almost, UI is not my strongest suit) engineer, I went into business. It was not a switch, but a natural evolution. Now I have to maintain the knowledge of two disciplines. Other than that, things are fine. I highly recommend diversification.

Islander

Reaction score
I made the switch (chemistry to finance) by working towards a CFA designation while holding down a STEM-related full time job. This was ten years ago and I think the CFA requirements are a bit tighter now but it worked great for me. The CFA program took about three years of part-time study but was relatively inexpensive and did not require time out of the workforce. My transition was accomplished gradually by getting out of the lab and into marketing/investor relations (this is easier to accomplish at a smaller company, of course). After that it's a more logical transition to corporate finance, investment banking, research or trading.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ CFA is still a good way to stand out if you want to do finance and investment work. You'll need 4 years of work experience to get the formal CFA charter, but passing the exams shows dedication to making a change and can help one stand out. Exams get a bit harder / include more stuff each year, but a smart person who is willing to take it seriously and devote enough time to learning the material will do fine.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good to here about STEM degree holders being sought after. I am in a similar situation as the OP. Would transitioning to a different field translate to a pay cut since you may not have the experience they want?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently graduated this June, and I majored in chemistry from a school that is pretty respected for its chemistry program. I currently work at a large pharmaceutical company as an intern. However, being in this work environment, I realized that I don't want to pursue science in the future. Since the skills are so specialized, I feel that I am essentially starting from square one in terms of job experience and skills.

Has anyone switched tracks from a STEM field into something else? I'm interested in publishing, brand development, PR, design and marketing, so I figure I should start building a portfolio. Thanks for any help.

Have you looked into moving into a different functional area with your current employer? Maybe stay on and try to develop relationships with people who work in the areas you are interested in...a good way to stay employed and get trained on a new role. Even if a full-time gig isn't open, when it does open up, you may be in a good position to apply as an internal candidate.

Yo-han

Reaction score
Tried out my field of computer science a couple of months, sucked ass. Reassessed what I wanted to do and went to advertising, loved it and been there ever since. If you have a good academic background you can do whatever. Do what you love.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried out my field of computer science a couple of months, sucked ass. Reassessed what I wanted to do and went to advertising, loved it and been there ever since. If you have a good academic background you can do whatever. Do what you love.

How did you make the switch? Did you just apply for any entry positions and start from scratch or moved to a different department within the same firm?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeeeeeees