• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wozniak

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback on this. I'd been curious about their suit/sportcoat fits but hadn't pulled the trigger. Do they use a lower armhole as is common in most OTR/MTM outfits? Or is it a more proper fitting higher armhole?

In my experience their suits have lower armhole designs. The Bedford line was the worst. Allen line a bit better but still an issue. Attached photo is third remake with the Allen line. I have had much better fit success with a cheaper less liked MTM company which was surprising.

Attachments

• AllenArmHole.jpg
    AllenArmHole.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 74

tilesomoole

Reaction score
sounds like the at-home fitting garment would be the way to go - has anyone tried it?

Some of those fabrics look amazing, but I've been reluctant to pull the trigger - as someone else said, I have other very good options.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, not having much luck with the CS team, since I may not be quite clear enough in my ask.

So, I'll try here. How have y'all accounted for their "new" (it isn't new, but I haven't ordered in a spell) counter shrinkage/stretch program? Did y'all keep your same sizing as prior, or have to adjust?

I'm 99% certain PC DID account for shrinkage prior to the newer program, so I'm VERY confident I don't want exact measurements/no shrinkage allotted for, particularly with linen fabrics.

Let me know any thoughts/experiences...

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback on this. I'd been curious about their suit/sportcoat fits but hadn't pulled the trigger. Do they use a lower armhole as is common in most OTR/MTM outfits? Or is it a more proper fitting higher armhole?
I've had the opposite experience. My suits and sport coats have been great, but my casual shirts (madras, linen, chambrays) were plagued by such shrinkage issues that I haven't ordered in awhile (though I know they revamped their shrinking approach last year).

FWIW, I haven't had shrinkage issues with heavy oxfords or flannels. I think those fabrics are robust/heavy enough that it's much less difficult to plan for.

People also seem to haven't had shrinkage issues dealing with dress shirts.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I've had the opposite experience. My suits and sport coats have been great, but my casual shirts (madras, linen, chambrays) were plagued by such shrinkage issues that I haven't ordered in awhile (though I know they revamped their shrinking approach last year).

FWIW, I haven't had shrinkage issues with heavy oxfords or flannels. I think those fabrics are robust/heavy enough that it's much less difficult to plan for.

People also seem to haven't had shrinkage issues dealing with dress shirts.
The shrinkage issues I've had were kind of all over the place. I've also had a few that were just nowhere near spec no matter how you "account for shrinkage" but they stepped up and took care of it.

The worst offenders have been the low twist flannels and a few chambrays.

cuponoodles

Reaction score
I haven't had too many shrinkage issues outside of the corduroys. They shrink much, much more than PC suggests. I have one that is now unwearable after a few washes.

I think their suits are pretty bang on, all things considered.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
So, I'll try here. How have y'all accounted for their "new" (it isn't new, but I haven't ordered in a spell) counter shrinkage/stretch program? Did y'all keep your same sizing as prior, or have to adjust?

I made a test shirt right after the new shrinkage allowance system was announced. I emailed customer service and had them 'turn off' the shrinkage allowances.

It worked! They still added a little to the neck and sleeve measurements, but the main numbers (shoulders, waist circumference, length, sleeve width, etc.) were spot on. I can live with that, and will just use a faux neck measurement so that I get exactly what I need.

Shrinkage has never been an issue for me --- seriously ---- wash in cold water and hang dry. Problem solved. Shrinkage will be minimal if there's any at all. Dry cleaning is also an option, with a caveat or two.

Two things that always perplexed me about the shrinkage allowance system:

1. Somewhere on the site it states that the fabrics are expected to shrink minimally in width and mostly in length....then the allowances are applied mostly to width and collar / sleeve circumference and not much at all to length. That seems ********** *******, but I'm no expert.......maybe there's something I'm missing.

One thing I'm not missing is the fit of the shirts made under that system.

2. wouldn't it be much easier, and cheaper in the long run given returns and people like me whining about the allowances all the time....to just pre-wash the fabric? Maybe there's some problem getting the factories to cooperate or something, I don't know, but goodness the allowance system seems like it would be an absolute nightmare if I were trying to run a business and implement it.

grenache

Reaction score
How does the fit/base model compared to S&M’s neo cut? Are there any areas where you need to significantly adjust the size/measurements?

I’m a good fit in S&M neo for a 40L and would love to switch to PC for tailoring as I have done so shirts.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the fit/base model compared to S&M’s neo cut? Are there any areas where you need to significantly adjust the size/measurements?

I’m a good fit in S&M neo for a 40L and would love to switch to PC for tailoring as I have done so shirts.

Not too different, a good starting point is to duplicate your S&M measurements by following the PC measuring guide. That got me close, I then made a few small tweaks to improve the front and back rise, leg width, hip, shoulder width, sleeve length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads