• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen more than 5 people simultaneously at BB so not sure what is so sad. In general, the fact that Canadian peeps crave and are dominated by US culture makes it ironic when American companies have to exit a market like Toronto.

Oh well….

Agreed on never seen more than 5 ppl in the store. I once bought a pair of AE shoes from there and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Very pretentious attitudes

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, who cares about BB in this day and age. There is nothing in their stores that excites me. Black fleece was interesting, but that's it

When it came to shoes, they were probably one of the best stockists in Canada.

The Peal shoes were made by C&J, Church's, Sargent, and Loake. Not to mention their Edward Green line.

Derek Guy is very well-versed in the history of the company, and he wrote that BB's reputation came from the fact that they stocked from the best makers in the world. Since the company got sold, they went much further downmarket (example, Aldo now makes their shoes).

TimothyF

Reaction score
When it came to shoes, they were probably one of the best stockists in Canada.

The Peal shoes were made by C&J, Church's, Sargent, and Loake. Not to mention their Edward Green line.

Derek Guy is very well-versed in the history of the company, and he wrote that BB's reputation came from the fact that they stocked from the best makers in the world. Since the company got sold, they went much further downmarket (example, Aldo now makes their shoes).

That's at least 5 years in the rear view mirror. They lost their DNA when they abandoned their last root in the American traditional look. Now nothing differentiates them from Nordstrom or Banana Republic

RapFan

Reaction score
IMO what we need is better range of British tailoring here. The weather in Canada calls for more British suits and fabrics than it does Neopolitan.

Saks tried by bring Lutwyche along, unfortunately it wasn't rolled out well. I bought 2 sportcoats and a suit and they are Brioni level good (maybe even better). I can wear them in ugly weather and they can take a beating.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO what we need is better range of British tailoring here. The weather in Canada calls for more British suits and fabrics than it does Neopolitan.

Saks tried by bring Lutwyche along, unfortunately it wasn't rolled out well. I bought 2 sportcoats and a suit and they are Brioni level good (maybe even better). I can wear them in ugly weather and they can take a beating.
I live in Canada and enjoy tweed, flannel in Neapolitan tailoring! I think tailoring and style is preference regardless of weather. Tweed and Flannel fabrics are made in mills all over the world.

Spier and Mackay has cult following in Canada! It is all Chinapolitan!

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in Canada and enjoy tweed, flannel in Neapolitan tailoring! I think tailoring and style is preference regardless of weather. Tweed and Flannel fabrics are made in mills all over the world.

Spier and Mackay has cult following in Canada! It is all Chinapolitan!

You need 66% less exclamation points.

partenopean

Reaction score
I think you missed the fact that Brooks Brothers is not catering to the general population of the people of Toronto regardless of the points you make. BB assumedly was catering to clothing enthusiasts who would/should have appreciated them having a physical presence in Toronto yet failed in this market. The price of mens tailored clothing in this city is outrageous - does not compute for me personally.

Let me take this conversation back to the point -- this is about BB closing physical stores in Toronto.

This is not about the decline and death of the BB company from 2016 to 2024. That is a separate issue, and one involving corporate greed, changing American consumer preferences, changing American business wear, and clothing and work/going out changes brought on my the coming and going of the covid-19 pandemic.

In this forum, we are not corporate strategy historians. We are clothing enthusiasts. Or supposed to be, assuming we are not re-sellers or small-business owners shilling ourselves...

My point is the person who would have been BB's customer in Toronto failed them, leading to store closures.
Why?

Such people don't exist in Toronto anymore. They have gone into secluded retirement homes to die, or have left the city.

The vacuum is filled by people who subsist on cheap cigarettes, wear goodwill clothes, and think foodbanks are free food! Who, they ask, would be so stupid to pay for food in stores, if you can scavenge it for free at foodbanks?

Which brings me to my other point -- is it because they are short of money?
Hellllllll nooooooo!
It is because these people don't believe in spending money to live well, or even to live.

Life, for them, is something to be eeked out by working and smoking, until death by diphtheria or lung cancer ends it.

Money, for them, is something to be hoarded, to be invested in real estate.

That's all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads