• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VBC fabric line choices for "traveler" sports coats and suits.

wozniak

Reaction score
I see there is a line of VBC material called "Supersonic" which appears to be wrinkle resistance/stain resistant. I am primarily looking for sports coats for planes, trains, business use etc. I may also order a suit or two. What fabric lines would be best to look at from VBC - or is Supersonic the line to focus on ?

wozniak

Reaction score
I see there is a line of VBC material called "Supersonic" which appears to be wrinkle resistance/stain resistant. I am primarily looking for sports coats for planes, trains, business use etc. I may also order a suit or two. What fabric lines would be best to look at from VBC - or is Supersonic the line to focus on ?
Just to followup on this post in case anyone looks here in the future.

Here is a video with a section on the supersonic line. In this book, near there are specific set of fabrics for blazers.

There is also this link on the supersonic fabrics.

Best wishes.

wozniak

Reaction score
Additional followup .... When considering MTM suits and sport coats I have found a number of places that say they carry fabrics from "VBC" or "Drago" or "XYZ". However 90% of the time this means they carry a very limited selection from these fabric mills and NOT access to the full line. That kind of full selection (full line of books) appears to be reserved for bespoke.

jeremygo

Reaction score
VBC/Drapers Ascot bunch has 2, 4, and 6-ply high twist wools. I have some grey trousers in the 4-ply and it's terrific for traveling. Very wrinkle resistant, very breathable. I know the Armoury guys recommend it very strongly.

wozniak

Reaction score
VBC/Drapers Ascot bunch has 2, 4, and 6-ply high twist wools. I have some grey trousers in the 4-ply and it's terrific for traveling. Very wrinkle resistant, very breathable. I know the Armoury guys recommend it very strongly.
Thank you. I understand these are more commonly available and the ones most often promoted as Traveler blends. I will take a look. Right now I am considering Hall Madden in Chicago which offers both MTM and Bespoke. Bespoke is kind of out of my price range, but that may change in the next year. Thanks again.

Club Soda

Reaction score
High twist cloths are what you're looking at and I highly recommend them as well. In my experience, I consider them superior to a standard worsteds because of the performance and how well they bounce back after repeated use. I have two from The Armoury that use Piacenza's First Class cloth which is 320gr./11oz. This weight is a factor in how well the wrinkles fall and the suits recovery from repeated use. When I hang my suit up after work the wrinkles fall out of the sleeves before I go to bed. VBC's supersonic range is lighter at 270gr. and I would suggest taking a look at a 4-ply from the Ascot bunch that's already been mentioned.

wozniak

Reaction score
High twist cloths are what you're looking at and I highly recommend them as well. In my experience, I consider them superior to a standard worsteds because of the performance and how well they bounce back after repeated use. I have two from The Armoury that use Piacenza's First Class cloth which is 320gr./11oz. This weight is a factor in how well the wrinkles fall and the suits recovery from repeated use. When I hang my suit up after work the wrinkles fall out of the sleeves before I go to bed. VBC's supersonic range is lighter at 270gr. and I would suggest taking a look at a 4-ply from the Ascot bunch that's already been mentioned.
Thank you very much. This is my plan as no one in Chicago has access to the VBC supersonic line. However it has even higher twist then even the Ascot bunch and was VBC's attempt at an ultimate travel material. It is a shame it is not made widely available to suit makers.

Club Soda

Reaction score
Thank you very much. This is my plan as no one in Chicago has access to the VBC supersonic line. However it has even higher twist then even the Ascot bunch and was VBC's attempt at an ultimate travel material. It is a shame it is not made widely available to suit makers.

You can request a sample of Supersonic cloth from the drapers site.

wozniak

Reaction score
You can request a sample of Supersonic cloth from the drapers site.
Yes I have several samples. Wonderful stuff. If only someone would make me a sports coat at one of the made to measure suit shops in Chicago using it. I suspect I could go bespoke and simply order the fabric give it to the bespoke suit maker. That would likely be outside my budget. I am pursing your suggestion to simply work with the suit maker with the high twist fabrics they do carry for traveler sport coats.

Club Soda

Reaction score
Yes I have several samples. Wonderful stuff. If only someone would make me a sports coat at one of the made to measure suit shops in Chicago using it. I suspect I could go bespoke and simply order the fabric give it to the bespoke suit maker. That would likely be outside my budget. I am pursing your suggestion to simply work with the suit maker with the high twist fabrics they do carry for traveler sport coats.

The places you visit may not have the selection of bunches you're looking for available in their location, but if they have an account with the mill/merchant they should still be able to order it for you. Depending on your size the amount of cloth needed for jacketing it may not be that expensive. So if there are Supersonic swatches you like I'd go for it.

wozniak

Reaction score
The places you visit may not have the selection of bunches you're looking for available in their location, but if they have an account with the mill/merchant they should still be able to order it for you. Depending on your size the amount of cloth needed for jacketing it may not be that expensive. So if there are Supersonic swatches you like I'd go for it.
I know I looked on the VBC site for Chicago. This was one of only two suit shops listed by VBC in Chicago.

Nicolas Joseph said they can't get the Supersonic line.

Strange. I think I need to give up on Supersonic and focus on other High Twist fabrics they do carry, and even from mills other than VBC because many have such standard high twist fabrics.

Last edited:

Club Soda

Reaction score
I know I looked on the VBC site for Chicago. This was one of only two suit shops listed by VBC in Chicago.

Nicolas Joseph said they can't get the Supersonic line.

Strange.
That is strange. I would expect VBC to be able to fulfill that request no problem. Maybe ask the shop if they'll do the jacket if you get the fabric yourself and then reach out to VBC.

onemoretime

Reaction score
Strange. I think I need to give up on Supersonic and focus on other High Twist fabrics they do carry, and even from mills other than VBC because many have such standard high twist fabrics.
Oliver Wicks lists some Supersonic options on their site. Admittedly no storefronts, so you'd have to measure yourself and possibly deal with the remake timeline. I was at Enzo Boston over the weekend and they had a number of VBC options. I'm not sure they had Supersonic, but maybe worth a call or visit to the shop in Chicago.

wozniak

Reaction score
I have given up on this supersonic. Will be heading to Blvdier in Chicago and taking a look at Hudcersfield Fresco III and VBC Ascot lines which are very commonly used for "Traveller" suits and sports coats.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdrterds