• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shopping in paris

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
Five days only and already a pair of Aubercys and a pair of Albaladejos; A fuller report soon on my return. It has cost me 947 Euros. By the way, saw the Patek that Ernest got and it is terrific. Ernest is a great man to shop with; a real wheeler-dealer.

Cesare

Reaction score
Where have you been in Paris? I just love that city
smile.gif
Try to go there every couple of months.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ken,
Seems like you're having a grand time. Wish I could be there too but, on second thought, maybe not at the prices you're seeing. The weak dollar makes its impact again. Enjoy it and best regards.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Everytime you point something out, doe she say "Is it not for farmer."

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jerry exaggerate much as they didn't want to give him a discount in Aubercy. I just manage to entitle him with an Aubercy polish box.

Tomorrow we may go to Corthay.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We will also make some pictures of the shoes...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My camera is worse and worse.
PICT41.jpg
PICT42.jpg
PICT43.jpg

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my feet...
PICT45.jpg
Aubercy/ Albaladejo Both nice. But Albaladejo is a better value as it is half the price of Aubercy = 300 euros/650 euros

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow those Albaladejo shoes are outrageous. The toebox seems high, like on english shoes (C&J, Church's). I really like the glossy finish, and at 300 euros it seems like a good value. The Aubercy aren't really doing anything for me.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A question to Ernest and all the other bargain hunters in Paris: what's the best time to hit the winter sales in Paris? We all like a bargain and some of us are not as adept at haggling as Ernest obviously is. For those of us who have to rely on reductions and bargains, when is the best time to go for a Paris spending spree on the cheap?

For those of you who consider coming to London, most stores will start this year during the week commencing Monday, 27th December. Harrods (usually late) will start on Monday 3rd January. Throughout January Sales will be in full swing everywhere in London.

marc37

Reaction score
You are indeed a very lucky young man (Ernest) spending sartorial time with the mighty Ken Pollock. You should feel very fortunate. Sorry Mr Pollock, l would invite you down to Australia but we have no good deals down here. Everything is expensive. Such a pity, l could have showed you all the high-end shoes in Melbourne. l could have shown you my collection of shoes and we could have talked about shoes for hours. Just imagine. Â
biggrin.gif
High-end shoes in Melbourne are: Borrelli Santoni Stefano Bi Artioli

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question to Ernest and all the other bargain hunters in Paris: what's the best time to hit the winter sales in Paris? We all like a bargain and some of us are not as adept at haggling as Ernest obviously is. For those of us who have to rely on reductions and bargains, when is the best time to go for a Paris spending spree on the cheap?

For those of you who consider coming to London, most stores will start this year during the week commencing Monday, 27th December. Harrods (usually late) will start on Monday 3rd January. Throughout January Sales will be in full swing everywhere in London.
Sales starts in the second week of January in general and lasts 4/5 weeks.

At the end of sales, you can often find higher discounts but less choice, indeed.

In small shops you can always try to bargain an extra discount, particulary if you take several items.

In departement stores, it is useless to bargain and it is often too crowded as most of people rush in these stores like sheeps for just 25/30%.

At the begining better start with small shops as they often have better discounts and less stock.

Go to Departement store rather at the end.

I advice you to go to outlets shops near Paris during sales as you can fin many stuffs with 50% off. Sales there starts before christmas.

London is terrific for men during sales.............

If you come in Paris, could you bring me a few items (cashmere scarves from H&K...) like Jerry did for me?

I could also help you to shop by going with you.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ken Pollock,
Just read the entire lengthy "American Trad" thread in Ask Andy including your own contribution (which perceptively points out that Brooks had a natural shoulder style for its college-age customers and another Anglophile style for its older customers and salesmen-which could account for Alan why Alan Flusser and his followers reverence E. Green). Although your posts imply that you're hidebound in your style, your purchases of Spanish and French shoes in the company of Ernest (whose knowledge of "Ivy League" style practiced by Brooks and Chipp in the early '60s is suspect) says otherwise. Maybe we "older dogs" can learn from this.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ken Pollock,
Just read the entire lengthy "American Trad" thread in Ask Andy including your own contribution (which perceptively points out that Brooks had a natural shoulder style for its college-age customers and another Anglophile style for its older customers and salesmen-which could account for Alan why Alan Flusser and his followers reverence E. Green). Although your posts imply that you're hidebound in your style, your purchases of Spanish and French shoes in the company of Ernest (whose knowledge of "Ivy League" style practiced by Brooks and Chipp in the early '60s is suspect) says otherwise. Maybe we "older dogs" can learn from this.
Aubercy&Albaladejo even the more looks like English shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads