• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFHansen

Reaction score
img_3032-jpg.2179825

Sunspel Bond Polo? I love the texture of their fabric.

I must confess my ignorance on this matter. But yes, it has a pleasant texture.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you sir, the white balance on the leds the contractors put in when they finished the basement is certainly not white balanced correctly!

white balance is adjusted in the camera/phone or in post-processing. you’ll prob want some bulbs in the cooler (color) range, 5,000-7,500k (kelvin). I’ve seen some just leave the color card in the photo, next to or on top of the item. if you’re using a phone, tapping on the card to focus should get you pretty close to correct color on most items (some colors are more difficult to get right than others). if you use a camera that has white balance presets, set it to the closest setting to the kelvin rating of the bulbs you’re using.

it’s a p dense subject tbh but that should get you started

I must confess my ignorance on this matter. But yes, it has a pleasant texture.

twss

Jackstraw001

Reaction score
Highlights from several stops between Thur-Sat.

This was unexpected, NWT Oscar De La Renta silk/wool gown from a very high-end, now defunct, Atlanta women’s boutique.
IMG_4997.jpeg IMG_4998.jpeg

Wasn’t familiar with this French women’s brand but the tag screamed $$$ and a quick Google-fu confirmed their sweatshirts retail in the $400-$500 range.
IMG_4999.jpeg IMG_5001.jpeg

Mrs J always appreciates tasteful, non-matronly St. John.
IMG_5002.jpeg IMG_5003.jpeg

Borrelli, sadly not my size.
IMG_5004.jpeg

Just in time for summer, vintage PRL madras patch shorts. Not my size either.
IMG_5005.jpeg

Apparently these “Just Don” NBA shorts do well according to some of the younger guys I know from the thrifts.
IMG_5006.jpeg

1990 Boston Marathon
IMG_5007.jpeg

This is cool, 1984 Screen Stars
IMG_5008.jpeg IMG_5009.jpeg

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must confess my ignorance on this matter.

Sunspel's "Riviera" Polo shirt is also referred to as a "Bond Polo" just like the Billy Reid peacoat, Tom Ford cardigan, TokItO jacket.. or any other item that gets worn in a 007 film. They tend to carry a premium and sell quickly. Last few bond polos I had went for $50+ in a matter of hours or few days.

Not entirely sure if that one you found is a Riviera but Sunspel is one of the big labels my eyes look for when scanning through polo shirts. That and Ministry of Supply are ones that I see very seldom.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found so many Sunpel pieces back in England. Always sold in 3 days max, like finding money on the floor.

Their Riviera T shirts are amazing too.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have now entered the world of American FB marketplace.

need a drink.

IMG_3231.jpeg

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
What’s the recommendation for a basic light to improve photos? Nothing fancy necessary just want to make them a little better for eBay. I am now relegated to the basement which has limited natural light and some harsh lamps.
This kinda belongs in the eBay thread, but for now: one of the more important elements of good photography lighting is what's called the CRI, or "color rendering index" of the lights themselves. Back in the day, it took a while for me to figure this out, as my early attempts to use nice, cool fluorescents seemed to lead to the dropout of certain colors. Research led me to the CRI, and now I use LED lights with a high CRI (two in front, at about 45 degrees each side, one above, slightly in front of the mannequin, and a fourth above the flat-lay table.

Use your camera on full manual, after using an 18% gray card to discover the settings on autoexposure. Match the color temperature to your lights, and you should be good to go . . .

Disclaimer: I am not a photography expert, just a thrifter/flipper who's sorta figured it out with help from the threads.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went from CFL softboxes to LED panels and havent looked back. Like others have mentioned, use a camera where you can set the white balance - I use a white paper background and calibrated the cameras WB to that.. perfect color now.

The only time I get items that don't photo well is extremely bright/light colored items.. which makes me turn exposure down on camera, or really dark/black items which make me turn exposure up slightly.

GVM 480LS

I have 4 of these on a rack I made, suspended about 4ft above my photo paper.

classicthrifter

Reaction score
if you use a camera that has white balance presets, set it to the closest setting to the kelvin rating of the bulbs you’re using.
one of the more important elements of good photography lighting is what's called the CRI, or "color rendering index" of the lights themselves. Back in the day, it took a while for me to figure this out, as my early attempts to use nice, cool fluorescents seemed to lead to the dropout of certain colors. Research led me to the CRI, and now I use LED lights with a high CRI (two in front, at about 45 degrees each side, one above, slightly in front of the mannequin, and a fourth above the flat-lay table.

Use your camera on full manual, after using an 18% gray card to discover the settings on autoexposure. Match the color temperature to your lights, and you should be good to go . . .
GVM 480LS

I have 4 of these on a rack I made, suspended about 4ft above my photo paper.
Awesome advice! Thanks! I totally forgot I had a better light with a CRI of "95+". I swapped that out tonight and adjusted my phone camera to match. Much better. I'll have to save up for the LED panels to mount on the wall. I'm tired of tripping over light stands.

Now for some fun pictures from the last couple of weeks. This is the first year I've been able to attend multiple "100 mile" and citywide garage sales. I'm in heaven.

Small heavy brass elephant home decor by Dolbi Cashier, 1980:

Dolbi Cashier Brass Elephant Figure 1980 Korea.jpg

Found my fist FFA corduroy jacket after hearing about them for years. This one isn't super old but still wonderful. These are the before pictures. Anyone in the Twin Cities area (MN), CD One Price cleaners dry cleaned it perfectly for $5.99.

FFA Corduroy Jacket 1.jpg
FFA Corduroy Jacket 2.jpg

1946 (give or take a few years) Zenith Radio and Record Player. The box is is decent shape, all the veneer is mostly still there. Not sure what I'll do with it but I like the look of it:

Zenith Record Player and Radio.png

Early 90s MN North Stars MIUSA Hoodie:

Vintage MN North Stars.jpg

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope all is well. Still in Korea so still on thrifting hiatus, so this thread remains my only source of vicarious pleasure. Need some advice. Do you guys know any relaxed fit chinos/casual pants brands with a wide-ish leg (say leg opening ~9 in) around $150? Thanks!

Conclusive

Reaction score
Not true thrift, but this time on brands I never expect to see in Ross...

1000007468.jpg

This isn't mainline, but still cool to stumble across this in the wild.

EDIT: Looks like this is actually mainline NEEDLES made in Japan stuff. Surprised that the DC collab is actually priced higher than most of their other tracksuit stuff.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads