• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your long term expenses with high quality “stretch” chinos. More specifically Proper cloth

Captain_Fish

Reaction score
Hi all. Happy to be a part of the forum.

I’m making my first post here because I’ve seemingly exhausted my search for an off the rack chino that I love. I’ve found plenty that I like very much but nothing that I love enough to buy multiple pairs of. I’ve decided to bite the bullet and try out custom chinos from proper cloth. I had a pant size made for me when I was working out some shirt issues in their store a few months back.

My only real issue is that they don’t offer any chino fabrics without elastane. Ive never had a great experience with stretch cotton pants as they either lose their shape over the course of a few wears and they you seemingly have to shrink them back to their original fit (or smaller). They also don’t gain character over time like a nice 100% cotton fabric will. They seem to wear out rather than wear in.

All that being said, Proper cloths chino fabrics seem to be super high quality and mostly form Italian mills. They are also about the 2-3% elastane rather than 10% or more. Most of my bad past experiences likely came from overly stretchy cotton or just poorer quality fabric. Long story short, what do you guys think I can expect from a top notch stretch chino? Thanks in advance!

Edit: When I asked about expectations I’m mostly referring to long term wear experiences as I’m sure they will be top notch from the beginning.

Last edited:

Father Style

Reaction score
Hi there. I’m not sure about “high end” but I’ve had a few pairs of stretch chinos. I find that they wear out a little more quickly than regular cotton. I’m with you, I prefer the 100% cotton but those darn stretch chinos are everywhere! I’ve heard good things about Bills Khakis but they’re more expensive than I usually go for something like that. Honestly, I’ve had a pair of 100% cotton chinos from Lands End for like 10 years and they’re still perfect. If you find a pair of good, inexpensive 100% cotton chinos with more than 5 belt loops let me know!

FatherStyle.com

Captain_Fish

Reaction score
Hi there. I’m not sure about “high end” but I’ve had a few pairs of stretch chinos. I find that they wear out a little more quickly than regular cotton. I’m with you, I prefer the 100% cotton but those darn stretch chinos are everywhere! I’ve heard good things about Bills Khakis but they’re more expensive than I usually go for something like that. Honestly, I’ve had a pair of 100% cotton chinos from Lands End for like 10 years and they’re still perfect. If you find a pair of good, inexpensive 100% cotton chinos with more than 5 belt loops let me know!

FatherStyle.com
I'll be honest, I have never once counted the number of belt loops on my pants before. Apparently every pair I have has 6. I've heard of Bills but I couldn't find a size chart for their measurements. The closest I've come to finding a chino I love is some slightly older Banana Republic "Aiden" fit (in 1-2 sizes too big). I found them in a thrift store about 2 weeks ago. The key has been to size up in the waist to get a slightly higher rise and a little more room in the thigh then having the waist brought in.

J.A.G

Reaction score
I pretty much live in chinos these days. I have bought 100% cotton chinos in different colors from three retailers in the last year. Pay attention to the tags since these retailers sell stretch fabric too, but you can still find 100% cotton without stretch if you check.

I do not mail order unless I have tried on the fit in person, so I have only bought from retailers close to me with clothing in stock. Bills and oconnells may carry great chinos, but since they are mail order only for me, I have never bought them.

LLBean makes great 100% cotton chinos, and they can be ordered with a 34” inseam or unfinished, which is another requirement for me. Alpha sizing (S, M, L, XL) definitely does not work for me. They carry many colors and fits and choice of pleats or not. Great quality and best prices too. And not that I have ever checked before, but the ones I bought have either seven or eight belt loops.

Next would be Orvis, also with 34 or unfinished length available. These are also 100% cotton, fit great, in colors and pleat options, but I haven’t had these hemmed yet so haven’t worn them. Expect them to wear very well based on quality. 8 belt loops on mine.

Finally Brooks Brothers, also very high quality, 100% cotton, different fits, different colors and pleat options. 8 belt loops. BB seems to be moving towards stretch fabric these days, but you can still get 100% cotton chinos from them. Expect these to wear forever also.

I don’t think you can go wrong with whichever of these three are in your area - go try them on and buy the ones you like best.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member