• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best all-around chinos?

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for all-around chinos (i.e. not too workwear, not too tailored) that have a higher rise to tuck in shirts and allow room for my thighs but still have a taper. Ideally they'd have neutral khaki, navy, and olive/green versions so I could make a capsule wardrobe out of them. I'd wear them with OCBDs and sport coats to work and with a t shirt and sneakers on the weekends. Definitely looking for Fall/Winter/Spring weight, too, since I live in DC and have lightweight summer chinos already. The sport chinos the armory makes seem exactly what I'm interested in - not too slim, not too full, high rise with a taper. However, I can't really stomach paying that much. I've looked around and can't seem to find that happy medium these chinos achieve. For example, ones made by 3sixteen seem too workwear but look like they would otherwise fit well. The ones from APC seem too low rise.

Overall, I can't seem to find a replica of the armory chinos that's less expensive. If anyone has any feedback it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for all-around chinos (i.e. not too workwear, not too tailored) that have a higher rise to tuck in shirts and allow room for my thighs but still have a taper. Ideally they'd have neutral khaki, navy, and olive/green versions so I could make a capsule wardrobe out of them. I'd wear them with OCBDs and sport coats to work and with a t shirt and sneakers on the weekends. Definitely looking for Fall/Winter/Spring weight, too, since I live in DC and have lightweight summer chinos already. The sport chinos the armory makes seem exactly what I'm interested in - not too slim, not too full, high rise with a taper. However, I can't really stomach paying that much. I've looked around and can't seem to find that happy medium these chinos achieve. For example, ones made by 3sixteen seem too workwear but look like they would otherwise fit well. The ones from APC seem too low rise.

Overall, I can't seem to find a replica of the armory chinos that's less expensive. If anyone has any feedback it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Just saying I have Armoury chinos, 1 retail, 1 off grailed. There's nothing quite like details and make up of the chinos. Only thing close to it is Incotex in regular fit I got from Trunk Clothiers. Those are $300 as well though. Haven't found good alternatives yet.

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Just saying I have Armoury chinos, 1 retail, 1 off grailed. There's nothing quite like details and make up of the chinos. Only thing close to it is Incotex in regular fit I got from Trunk Clothiers. Those are $300 as well though. Haven't found good alternatives yet.
Super helpful information, thanks! Can you comment on the fabric weight of the armory and incotex regular fit chinos?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super helpful information, thanks! Can you comment on the fabric weight of the armory and incotex regular fit chinos?
Armoury uses cotton from Solbiati I think for most of the chinos. Good medium weight. The navy one is heavier, like canvas? Not sure who makes it. Pretty solid fall to winter weight.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the orSlow slim army chinos but I’m guessing they are more work wear than you want. They’re great though.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
100% would say vintage ralph lauren chinos. They can last 5 years +, and you could easily find them on ebay or goodwill barely worn. Just need to taper some of them. Also Brooks brothers are a good choice, along with incotex chinolino.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have experience with them, but I assume Sid Mashburn chinos ($150 at full retail, $100-ish on sale) might suit you.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!

Not that similar, but Junior's canvas trousers might be good.

cedarlake23

Reaction score
100% would say vintage ralph lauren chinos. They can last 5 years +, and you could easily find them on ebay or goodwill barely worn. Just need to taper some of them. Also Brooks brothers are a good choice, along with incotex chinolino.
Ah, that's good to know! Do you have any tips on best practices for buying those? I imagine one can't alter pants too much without throwing off the proportions out of whack. I've tried Brooks Brothers but had an issue with pocket flaring on the pairs I tried and they also seemed too on the tailored end of the spectrum.

cedarlake23

Reaction score
I don't have experience with them, but I assume Sid Mashburn chinos ($150 at full retail, $100-ish on sale) might suit you.
They have a store in DC - I should just try them on in person. But I am afraid they'll be too slim. Thanks for the recommendation - we'll see how it goes.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Well for me, the only alterations I have been doing on the chinos is hemming, but relatively rarely because they generally fit me well. If I choose to have tapering jobs for them, I typically bring them to my tailor, because he typically does the job done well. Generally, for pants that I really like, and are not too drastically slim or baggy, I send them to a tailor who does bespoke, instead of the normal alternations people.

For the Brooks Brothers though, I mainly had experienced them being baggy, and never really had an issue with slimness... but yet again, I buy them vintage, so the fits maybe a little bit different back then for this brand. Ralph Lauren chinos are IMO fit me well, and I am not a slim fit generally.

Also I recently purchased some chinos from spier-mackay, and I say they fit very similarly to one of my more tapered vintage chinos. The fabric feels a lot better too!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyexchangee1