• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my parents have had an eames knockoff ( I think anyways) for well over 30-35 years at this point. I have had an opportunity to sit in some real ones (I think anyways) and the only real difference that I can recall was that the 'real' one had real leather vs. my parents who perhaps have a synthetic.

I will have to check to be sure. Supposedly my cousin tried to call dibs on the chair if they ever wanted to get rid of it. I told her I would gut her if she even asked again.

Edsal17

Reaction score
I got a Rove Concept copy last week in oiled palisander and black leather. It was kind of a pain to put together (two person job), but it looks and feels great. As I comparison I decided to drive up to DWR and try the real one out again. The only real discernible differences I could tell were that the plywood edging was better finished on the Herman Miller (not a big deal) and the seating angles are slightly different. The Herman Miller seating angle being the more comfortable of the two. I am hoping this is just due to the fact that the Herman Miller one has been sat in far more times then mine.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did they include a 'Rolex' along with every delivery? These knocked off luxury goods are super cheesy.

Edsal17

Reaction score
Sadly no, a knock of Rolex would have been a nice touch. In all honesty the more I sit in it the more I think the seating angle is unforgivable for me. It looks and feels great otherwise, but I might end up putting it on craigslist and picking up a real one during the next sale.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all seriousness the slight changes that these guys make in order to sell them are details that the original designers poured over. It effects the usability a great deal in my opinion.

skeetybug

Reaction score
As an interior decorator, I worked with clients with all sorts of budget. Personally I am a big fan of the eames lounge chair. I sat on one and it is so comfortable that I can fall asleep on it. Now will I be able to afford one? Probably not. I have bought the cheap replicas from amazon, kardiel, and now after hearing what edsal17 said, I will not buy from rove concepts as well. I know for a fact that if these replicas don't have the rubber shock that connect the seat to the back which is located under the arms, then they will never sit the same like the original which gives when you lean back. I went to a store in Dc and pointed out to the store owner if he can get the rubber shock mount problem fixed then I will buy from him.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're an interior designer? This is the equivalent of a client seeing your work and hiring out a cheaper wage to do the job.

Last edited:

skeetybug

Reaction score
My client gave me a budget and tell me what they want. I simply steer them to the right directions and pointed out to them the pros and cons. Recently I was furnishing a multi-million dollar mansion, but the owner is not willing to pay $4700 for the Barcelona chair. But with a $650 knock off? He said go ahead and get me 4!!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's strange to me, IMO. I would like to have a chieftain chair, but it is a stretch. Rather then buy a fake, I would buy a less expensive chair. It's not like Saarinen tables and Eames chairs are a requirement for living, they're just one of many nice options.

twistoffat

Reaction score

I absolutely love the Eames Lounge Chair. But I can't justify $4500+ for a lounge chair yet. I found a copy for around $600 new. Are copies worth it?

Certainly not. I´m not saying that the full loungechair price doesn´t have a margin in their because its from Vitra, but certainly no knockoff will have the same attention to detail or quality of parts as the original(though some fakes are good). At the end of the day who are you kidding or who will you be fooling, apart from yourself. If you can drop 600USD for a fake then wait and save and drop maybe 3500 on a used original. The original will always hold its value

twistoffat

Reaction score

I absolutely love the Eames Lounge Chair. But I can't justify $4500+ for a lounge chair yet. I found a copy for around $600 new. Are copies worth it?

Certainly not. I´m not saying that the full loungechair price doesn´t have a margin in their because its from Vitra, but certainly no knockoff will have the same attention to detail or quality of parts as the original(though some fakes are good). At the end of the day who are you kidding or who will you be fooling, apart from yourself. If you can drop 600USD for a fake then wait and save and drop maybe 3500 on a used original. The original will always hold its value

skeetybug

Reaction score
Does an original eames lounge chair really hold its value? A look on ebay, you will know that is not the case. Lets just say you paid $4500 and after a few years you still think that you will get $4500? $2000! if you are lucky then you are losing $2500.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GentWithoutaCent