• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine cutlery, EDC, and pocket jewelry": Here we post reviews, recommendations, tips about and appreciation of.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the cuuuustttttom. Honestly, while the production will be great (Reate made), he is one custom maker whose work is incredible.

you mean this one?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you mean this one?

Yeah, that would be the one. If you do get it, please do use the links here, of course. I think that if you go to the site through mobile, sometimes you get the spin for up to 10% thing as well. That site does have some cool custom collab knives. Apparently, the urban was designed for Urban EDC Supply for production, but the designer liked the design so much he started to make customs of it, as above. imho, 2.75-3.25" is the optimal blade length (unless you have state or city restrictions, and I do like tiny knives) for most uses, and a drop point shape is an all rounder.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be the one. If you do get it, please do use the links here, of course. I think that if you go to the site through mobile, sometimes you get the spin for up to 10% thing as well. That site does have some cool custom collab knives. Apparently, the urban was designed for Urban EDC Supply for production, but the designer liked the design so much he started to make customs of it, as above. imho, 2.75-3.25" is the optimal blade length (unless you have state or city restrictions, and I do like tiny knives) for most uses, and a drop point shape is an all rounder.

I’m not ready for an $800 knife. It’s great looking but I need to work up to something like that. I was into watches for 15 years before I bought a Rolex.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not ready for an $800 knife. It’s great looking but I need to work up to something like that. I was into watches for 15 years before I bought a Rolex.

Fair. There is a ton of great stuff about $250-$600 or so. If those are your choices, I think that the Drift is a great choice. And anything by Reate is nearly guaranteed to be well made. I have some recommendations. Give me a minute to find them.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Honestly, I think you would be perfectly happy with the production model.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Rockwall by Tactile Knife company is an excellent choice. I'd get either the Urban EDC exclusive or the normal version with no special engraving.

9F904002-BCB0-45FF-9237-D7B880DB5E5F.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That fat carbon does look sweet. Too bad they don't have the ironwood in stock. That would be another killer option to consider.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That fat carbon does look sweet. Too bad they don't have the ironwood in stock. That would be another killer option to consider.
I am wary of wood. Even stabilized wood is prone to drying, warping, and cracking. I love the look, but it's much less worry free compared to micarta, G10, and carbon fiber.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am wary of wood. Even stabilized wood is prone to drying, warping, and cracking. I love the look, but it's much less worry free compared to micarta, G10, and carbon fiber.

If you are having issues related to your wood, I'm sure you can get some help with that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, low $$$ commitment knives:

Kizer drop bear: https://whitemountainknives.com/cop...rbon-handle-elmax-plain-black-blade-ki3619a2/

We Miscreant 3.0

The mini-tank, the Benchmade mini-Adamas:

use code 7redi for 10% off.

emptym

Reaction score
The Penas you guys are discussing are very nice. For modern traditionals, I really like this guy:

@mak1277, for someone looking to learn, I recommend Tony's reviews here:
and Nick's here:

Tony's engraved Sawby Swift is probably my favorite knife ever (go team wood):
1488845891924-JNZ5KL3AU1AEN3CDL3YH.jpeg

I can discuss forging vs stock removal, lock types, handle/scale materials,.bladeshapes, blade steels, sharpening on stones or using a guided system, makers, designers, manufacturers, retailers, whatever you liker.
So what are your thoughts on forging vs stock removal? Carter forged vs some powder "super" steel?
Speaking of Carter, :drool::
C2732-1-1.jpg
MS221-1-1.jpg

As in clothes, unless you are willing to put in a lot of time and effort, always buy production, not handmade, especially for folders. Anything made in China by WE or Reate? Will nearly always be terrible. Want a barlock? Go to Benchmade. Want a framelock flipper, never ever go Italian, etc...
Did you mean "terrific," not terrible?

Gotta shout out to @Jmr928 for his generous '22 Secret Santa Mcusta gift!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Penas you guys are discussing are very nice. For modern traditionals, I really like this guy:

and Nick's here:

View attachment 1874275

So what are your thoughts on forging vs stock removal? Carter forged vs some powder "super" steel?
Speaking of Carter, :drool:: View attachment 1874276 View attachment 1874272

I meant terrific. If you want a hassle free,, high quality knife out of the box, with very few exceptions (e.g. Koenig) you cannot beat high end Chinese production.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and Nick's here:

View attachment 1874275

Speaking of Carter, :drool:: View attachment 1874276 View attachment 1874272

Forged steel is wonderful for the heritage, and masters like Murray Carter can get steel to do amazing things.

However, modern technology is a wonderful thing, and I would, especially in a folder, trust CNC crafted knives finished, assembled, and tuned by an expert, any day of the week.

Like Andrew Demko, said, human hands have nothing on a wire EDM.The sharklock lock has to be cut by machine, and then polished and finished and hand, and fitted to the specific blade tang and stop pin. A fraction of a mm off makes a difference. Machined parts with expert human interaction and judgement makes the superlative product.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member