• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am a type 1 diabetic (questions and comments)

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. leave her alone. when my sugar gets low im cranky as hell. just keep an eye on her and dont touch.
smile.gif

Luckily I have the dexcom app so I get alerted when the BS is irregular

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats awesome. i need to meet with my medtronic nurse again.... nothing specific...shes just hot.

During our first meeting, she "accidentally on purpose" showed me a pic of her naked.
What!? Damn, I havent met the nurse yet but the rep was about a 6'4" guy... not exactly my type.

Have you checked out the closed loop system? It looks pretty damn cool.

My gf is type 1 and I feel like I may be trying too hard to help when she goes high/low - any advice for what to do? Just stay calm and let her figure it out?
I'm also one that kind of hates that too. I'm ok with concern, but I can figure it out on my own. I will literally run people over to get to some food if my blood sugars are low. Now if she is having paramedics assisting all the time I would help more. I knew a guy who had terrible control and would be found passed out on the floor next to the fridge (usually with an unopened can of soda) about once every 2 months.

Reaction score
Hi guys, let me tell you NOT to underestimate diabetes.
I'm a pharmacist, not the justreadingoogle expert, if you ever wonder
If your main concern is to avoid daily glucose scan (likely 3 times per day), there is a device made by Abbott (freestyle libre) that might fit your needs, but i don't know how your health and insurance work.
Remeber that insuline must be handled with care and that the diabetes is a silent disease that, when carefully untreated, damages your nerve system, vascular system, etc.

When the glucose level is too low, you may experience headache 'cause glucose is brain's fuel.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with constant glucose monitors (cgm) is that they are fairly inaccurate. Calibrating is done to help get a better picture of where you are truly at. The cgm you posted from abbott is no better in accuracy than the dexcom or medtronic. The fine print on the bottom states how hypoglycemic situations can be misreported. (bs shows <60 and actual is >80). That error is greater than 10% which seems to be the industry norm. The new medtronic falls just below 10% which allows it to be used in a closed loop system.

Reaction score
Thank you for the infos, i didn't know those devices.
Accuracy is what a patient is looking for, before insuline's administration, thus it seems the old needle and blood's drop is still the best system (although uncomfortable).

I've been asked whether there was worthy alternatives, now i know that before shifting to CGM is better to carefully evaluate.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the infos, i didn't know those devices.
Accuracy is what a patient is looking for, before insuline's administration, thus it seems the old needle and blood's drop is still the best system (although uncomfortable).

I've been asked whether there was worthy alternatives, now i know that before shifting to CGM is better to carefully evaluate.
I should probably add that using CGMs are much better than just finger testing alone. Much more data is collected about highs and lows and the user can see trends, that is if they are trending high or low and can adjust accordingly. Using finger testing just puts tighter control at mealtimes in order to better compensate for the meal. Using a CGM and finger testing is still the best way to go at the moment. Until an implant or other testing way comes along, I think that finger testing isn't going away.

John L

Reaction score
I had a CGM for two weeks and hated it.

I run a ton so I also sweat a ton. It would constant fall off (despite my infusion site never falling off) and loudly demand that I calibrate in the middle of the night (I know you can turn this off but that's not the point).

My A1C has been under 7 recently -- I think the only times I was over 7 was sometime in college or high school and my diet was all fritzed on crappy dining hall food -- with the occasional spike.

Something I've noticed since I've been type 1 for the past 13 years (now half my life!).

There are food I don't eat:

I don't eat pasta.

I don't eat pancakes or waffles. Even with the sugar reduced syrup.

I shouldn't eat pizza either but pizza is pizza. What do you want? I try to avoid it outside of family/social gatherings.

Large meals that require large boluses should be avoided. You go high, then you go low, all the while feeling like crap. If you don't go low, you just end up being high for forever and slowly working your way back down -- which also sucks. If you do have a large meal coming up, make sure you don't have plans afterwards. Give your body time to process all that crap you did to it.

Always, always, always check your sugar before you run or go to bed. I've had two seizures that have required an ambulance. Both could've been avoided if I had checked my sugar before the activity.

Having a blood sugar of 40-70 isn't ideal, and you should pay attention to it, but you're probably not going to pass out. Anything below that and you should *probably* start to freak out a bit.

If your thoughts are not coherent, check your blood sugar. They're usually related. I stopped feeling my lows so this one of the better internal tells.

Fruit and salad are great. Cheese is great. Stevia is great with coffee. If you have a couple bucks lying around, buy some pistachios. They're lit.

Right now my big issue is going off my parents health insurance. The best plan in my area, for my situation, puts me in a position where I have to spend 5k on medical supplies before the insurance kicks in. That's a lot of moolah that I can't spend on clothes.

But, I guess, you can't wear cool shoes if your doctor had to cut your feet off because you couldn't be bothered to take care of yourself.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, just started on the 670g. So far (in like 4 hours) this thing is way superior to the 630g. Calibration is instant (630g used to take like 5 minutes to calibrate) and readings are much more accurate. How a company can make users stay on the 630g and still try to get people to use it is like making someone use a VCR.

My last A1C was at 7. I live a pretty rough and stressful life so hopefully the new system (and better eating/carb calculations) will get me to around 6.5

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuaweleye