• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In america

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished watching an excellent movie - one of the best I've seen in a long time. The title is In America and it's absolutely beautiful. I don't want to spoil any part of the movie, but I recommend this to all. The basic plot is an Irish family immigrates to America with very few posessions and little money. Basically, any small problem can cause a devastating hardship. Some parts are sad, but through it all the basic theme is love. It originally showed at smaller theaters and is now available on DVD. Rent it...

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I saw it in the theatre, and would second Versace's opinion.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds good. i might rent it, though i didn't see it in the theater because i'm rather sick of the whole immigrant theme, especially the irish immigrant theme.

it stars samantha morton and that may be enough to make it worthwhile. she's one of my favorite actresses right now. check out woody allen's "sweet and lowdown" to see her in a great film. (she was also in that tom cruise movie about crime in the future.)

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Matador, Â Â Do you remember which character she played in Minority Report?

quill

Reaction score
sounds good. i might rent it, though i didn't see it in the theater because i'm rather sick of the whole immigrant theme, especially the irish immigrant theme.

it stars samantha morton and that may be enough to make it worthwhile. she's one of my favorite actresses right now. check out woody allen's "sweet and lowdown" to see her in a great film. (she was also in that tom cruise movie about crime in the future.)
I wouldn't be too worried about the Irish immigrant theme in "In America," matadorpoeta.

The thematic issues as VersaceMan points out far outweigh the fact that this family is even Irish.

The little girls in the movie are absolutely adorable, and have to be Irish. I can't imagine that American actresses that young could fake the accent so convincingly.

Beautiful movie. Very poignant.

Just watched "Monster," and I can see WHY Charlize Theron won the Academy Award for her performance. Wow. Very disturbing movie. Couldn't "shake" it for a long time (and not that I'd want to, either).

I highly recommend it, but it IS very depressing.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quill,
great signature.
i meant really that the theme of immigration has been done to death. seems like every other new film coming out of europe lately is about indians in england, africans or middle easterners in france, albanians in italy, etc... but okay, i'll check this movie out.

i saw a great documentary yesterday about charles bukowski. if you're at all familiar with this guy, or even if you're not, i highly recommend it. it's very funny and enlightening-just like he was. it's called "charles bukowski born into this" (i think).

quill

Reaction score
quill, great signature. i meant really that the theme of immigration has been done to death. seems like every other new film coming out of europe lately is about indians in england, africans or middle easterners in france, albanians in italy, etc... but okay, i'll check this movie out. i saw a great documentary yesterday about charles bukowski. if you're at all familiar with this guy, or even if you're not, i highly recommend it. it's very funny and enlightening-just like he was. it's called "charles bukowski born into this" (i think).
Thanks, matadorpoeta.
smile.gif
I understand your point, and fully respect what you are saying about the immigrant topic. I'm sure some sociologist who is smarter than I might say something about this trend pointing to an aspect of our culture, though I'm not sure what it would be. I'll take a look at your suggestion, too. By the way, I have to return the compliment on your avatar. I slipped into an actual toreador (matador?) outfit one time, and couldn't believe how stiff it was; like a suit of armor. Anyway, I like your combo of images; very intriguing. Is there a story behind it?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I have to return the compliment on your avatar. I slipped into an actual toreador (matador?) outfit one time, and couldn't believe how stiff it was; like a suit of armor.
it takes a matador about one hour (and a couple of assistants) to get dressed. the traje de luces, or "suit of lights", must be skin tight to prevent the bull's horns from catching any loose fabric.
Anyway, I like your combo of images; very intriguing. Is there a story behind it?
no. i love going to bullfights. to me they are an expression of the highest virtues a man can have; honor, dignity, and grace. a matador is more than an athlete or a performer. he is an artist.

quill

Reaction score
By the way, I have to return the compliment on your avatar. I slipped into an actual toreador (matador?) outfit one time, and couldn't believe how stiff it was; like a suit of armor.
it takes a matador about one hour (and a couple of assistants) to get dressed. the traje de luces, or "suit of lights", must be skin tight to prevent the bull's horns from catching any loose fabric.
Anyway, I like your combo of images; very intriguing. Is there a story behind it?
no. i love going to bullfights. to me they are an expression of the highest virtues a man can have; honor, dignity, and grace. a matador is more than an athlete or a performer. he is an artist.
Bueno, entonces, ¿hablas español? Yo estudiaba español in la escuela, y tambiÃ
00a9.png
n asistÃa a una escuela para estudiantes y maestros de español en Saltillo, MÃ
00a9.png
xico, cuando yo tenÃa catorce años. Pero he olvidado mucho, y me gusta practicar de vez en cuando. ¿De donde vienes? ¿De un paÃs hispanico? How interesting about the traje de luces. And interesting that you combine "poetry" and bullfighting. There is a whole tradition, worldwide, of the "artist-warrior." Many books have been written on the subject. Of course, the Japanese are noted for their bushido (martial) tradition combined with poetic arts like flower arrangement and tea ceremonies. And supposedly, the model of medieval society was built on the three types of people: warriors, scholars, and laborers. Sorry to bore you; I sometimes find archetypes interesting, and (to bring this subject back to the entertainment theme) often find that movies are based on longstanding archetypes. So "matadorpoeta" it is. Darn glad to know you, sir. Â
wink.gif

Pongo

Reaction score
Well, my family has it all, warriors, scholars and laborers. It makes for an interesting ancestry. Speaking of laborers (and specifically those people with an umber tint to their skin) ..have any of you seen the Southern Poverty Law Center's (http://www.splcenter.org/) documentary about hate forums? Among others, they discussed stormfront. And we thought Hitler was dead....

quill

Reaction score
No no no. Very much alive around the world. Scary.
cry.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quill,

claro que hablo espanol y dejame felicitarte por tu gramatica. soy mexico americano nacido en los angeles pero tambien he vivido en acapulco y guadalajara.

the artist/warrior phenomenon is an extension of man's right to seek perfection. it would make sense that to be a great warrior one would need a deep understanding of his own nature, and therefore, of life itslef. this naturally lends itself to achieveing the highest levels of art.

if only the soldiers of the modern world cared as much about creating beauty as they do about destroying life. unfortunately they tend to be men who have little understanding of themselves, and thus, what they are fighting for.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Agatha the primary pre-cog.
Thanks, man. Â So I probably wouldn't recognize her... assuming she has hair in In America.
I sometimes find archetypes interesting, and (to bring this subject back to the entertainment theme) often find that movies are based on longstanding archetypes.
I've taken too many literature classes not to analyze movies and books for archetypes. Interesting little bit you added about the warrior-artist.

quill

Reaction score
quill, claro que hablo espanol y dejame felicitarte por tu gramatica. soy mexico americano nacido en los angeles pero tambien he vivido en acapulco y guadalajara. the artist/warrior phenomenon is an extension of man's right to seek perfection. it would make sense that to be a great warrior one would need a deep understanding of his own nature, and therefore, of life itslef. this naturally lends itself to achieveing the highest levels of art. if only the soldiers of the modern world cared as much about creating beauty as they do about destroying life. unfortunately they tend to be men who have little understanding of themselves, and thus, what they are fighting for.
Gracias, señor. De veras, Usted sà es mejor en inglÃ
00a9.png
s con la gramática que soy con la mÃa en español. Pues, con mucho gusto.
smile.gif
There's an interesting book I gave to my nephew, who was a Marine stationed in Iraq (thankfully he's back safely after two tours of duty). It is called "In Search of the Warrior Spirit: Teaching Awareness Disciplines to the Green Beret." (Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec....0623242). As you so eloquently put it, I wanted my nephew to go into the Marines with a broader understanding of what it means to fight for something of value. I like your insights, and I'm curious about your passion for bullfighting, as it's an event I've never fully understood. But I don't want to stray too far off the entertainment topic of this thread. It's hard for me to criticize any immigrants in our country, as my parents are foreign-born. So I certainly can't make any blanket statement about limits on immigration, or I wouldn't be here myself.
sadlike.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member