• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lawyer, Law School, BigLaw FAQ

samblau

Reaction score
The judge I work for passed away today. One of the incoming clerks will likely loose her job offer. I have no idea what will happen to me. This profession is just nuts some time.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theincumbent
So you are going to spend 3+ years, and $100K+, and not use the professional degree you obtain? I am struggling to find a more tactful way to say this, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You would be far better off taking the tuition money that you will spend on law school and using that as capital for these "entrepreneurial ventures." Law school is a bad investment in this economy. Coming from a recent grad.
Originally Posted by yerfdog
100% agree with this. You might as well go to medical school because you plan to become a professional athlete and you want some background in human physiology. I can't say whether law school is a bad investment over the long term now, but I have had to seriously revise my ROI and payback period estimates.
thank you for your input
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
That said, I'm not sure how oman comes to the conclusion that entrepeneurship is a bigger roll of the dice than law school. Assuming your goals are purely financial, the up-front, fixed cost of law school is substantial. That's not necessarily the case with entrepeurship.
well you could be right. i didn't really do any calculations or anything - i just assumed it was common knowledge that ceteris paribus, a traditional salaried occupation is usually a steadier bet than starting your own business

AZMJS

Reaction score
I have kind of an off the wall law related question, I suppose.

I graduated with a Linguistics degree and about a 3.5 GPA from a state school, and then spent two years in China learning Chinese and teaching English/Spanish at a university there.

I got a 171 (98th %ile) on the LSAT, and would like to go to law school and then join the Foreign Service, or else do something where I could live/work in China or elsewhere overseas.

How do you estimate my chances for being accepted to a prestigious, say, top 5 school, and do you think it would be worth it to concentrate on trying to get into one, given my current plans? I'm going to be applying this fall.

Hate to ask lawyers for free advice, of course, but thanks in advance for any thoughts you might be willing to share on the subject.

Benzito

Reaction score
Why don't you just apply for the foreign service now? You don't have to have a law degree and my guess is that it would probably be less useful working for the Department of State, where they tend to shift you around every few years from station to station.

I have a client who graduated law school and works as a diplomat and his wife just has her undergraduate and also works as a diplomat. Their pay grades aren't significantly different and can probably be explained by their job descriptions.

cadillac37

Reaction score
^ Agree. Law school is 3 years of your life that you could be enjoying life in the foreign service. My friends who joined the foreign service out of college all seem a lot happier and more fulfilled than my lawyer friends (even those in NYBIGLAW).

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cadillac37
^ Agree. Law school is 3 years of your life that you could be enjoying life in the foreign service. My friends who joined the foreign service out of college all seem a lot happier and more fulfilled than my lawyer friends (even those in NYBIGLAW).

bullshit, asshole - there isn't anything better than NYBIGLAW out there...

AZMJS

Reaction score
Sensible advice, absolutely, but I do more or less have my heart set on law school.

decisions.gif

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AZMJS
Sensible advice, absolutely, but I do more or less have my heart set on law school.

decisions.gif

Well, you do have quite a nice LSAT that would otherwise go to waste.

Hopefully you are as smart and dedicated as you test and it wasn't a fluke, because I think people's success in law school is directly related to how much effort they put into the LSAT and the resulting score.

Yes, I admit that is a HUGE generalization to make, so I'll just say that is how it was where I went (not Top Ten or even Top 100 ... if anything, my school makes the Top 100 possible).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if there have been any serious posts (as opposed to poasts) in this threak. And if any of the posts were serious, I can't say if such posters ought to be pitied. However, the NYTimes Dealbook has an interesting piece on the collapse of so-called BIGLAW recruiting. As always, the NYT is behind the ball on this one, but it's a reminder that law school, even the infamous T14, is no guarantee of BIGLAW, and BIGLAW is no guaranteed path to MAFOOFAN-like prestige.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...obs-disappear/

Honestly,$200K in law school debt alone... I'm stunned.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I don't know if there have been any serious posts (as opposed to poasts) in this threak. And if any of the posts were serious, I can't say if such posters ought to be pitied. However, the NYTimes Dealbook has an interesting piece on the collapse of so-called BIGLAW recruiting. As always, the NYT is behind the ball on this one, but it's a reminder that law school, even the infamous T14, is no guarantee of BIGLAW, and BIGLAW is no guaranteed path to MAFOOFAN-like prestige.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...obs-disappear/

Honestly,$200K in law school debt alone... I'm stunned.

Is Milbank really a glittering name?

Article is still behind the ball, in that it doesn't mention deferrals. Just yesterday Proskauer announced that people who graduated last May (May 2009) won't be starting in September of 2009 as they were originally told, or March 2010 as they were later told, but now November 2010. Other firms are pushing May 2009 grads to January 2011 before they can start.

To steal from an ATL commenter:
So Mintz Levin incoming associates, who interviewed in the fall of 2007, summered in 2008, and graduated in 2009, won't start working until 2011. That is the most ridiculous hiring model I've ever heard of.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Is Milbank really a glittering name?
facepalm.gif

Calling out Milbank and not Baker & McDonalds = BIGLAW knowledge EPIC FAIL.

Don't you have resumes TTTo send out or sthg?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
facepalm.gif

Calling out Milbank and not Baker & McDonalds = BIGLAW knowledge EPIC FAIL.

Don't you have resumes TTTo send out or sthg?

At least Baker measures revenue in billlllllllions. I'm busy getting ready for next year's Best Dressed Real Man competition.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
I'm busy getting ready for next year's Best Dressed Real Man competition.

Is that code for staying at the Carlyle?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexcruz