• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a grinder <$350 or so? Think it's about time to upgrade from my trusty Baratza Encore that's been going ~10 years now.

Primarily for Aeropress, occasionally french press, no espresso.

The Fellow Ode 2 looks like a nice option. Anything else worth checking out?

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NaTionS If manual is an option, I picked up a 1Zpresso hand grinder as I needed a quiet grinder a number of years ago. Totally happy with it for pour over and Moka pots. It looks like they've upgraded the grinders from when I got mine. If I lost this one I'd just pick one up from them.

Would be good for Aeropress too, I got rid of mine but it the grind catcher should be able to dump straight into the press from memory. Can only hold about 30 grams max so there is that limit.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
For over a decade, I was doing one cup Hario v60 pour over with a manual Hario Skerton hand grinder and enjoying the best coffee of my life. Now that I am married and brewing for two, we use the Technivorm Moccamaster with a Fellow Ode 2 grinder and it’s fantastic. I’ve wasted a lot of money sampling various indie roasters with varying levels of success and failure and eventually figured out that Don Francisco Kona Blend in whole bean is my absolute favorite coffee and it’s very inexpensive. My back up is Trader Joe’s Wake Up Blend. To our taste buds, both are better than most of what we’ve tried from several indie roasters—many seem overpriced and either under or over-roasted.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpeg
    IMG_2516.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Hario V60 and a Baratza Encore. We also have an automatic espresso machine (Saeco) which the wife prefers.

My favorite coffee is Ozo’s Mocha Java blend, which they aren’t stocking at the moment. Hopefully it comes back.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NaTionS If manual is an option, I picked up a 1Zpresso hand grinder as I needed a quiet grinder a number of years ago. Totally happy with it for pour over and Moka pots. It looks like they've upgraded the grinders from when I got mine. If I lost this one I'd just pick one up from them.

Would be good for Aeropress too, I got rid of mine but it the grind catcher should be able to dump straight into the press from memory. Can only hold about 30 grams max so there is that limit.
Not opposed to manual in general but I do need to grind 68g at a time during summers for cold brew, would rather not do that by hand.

Appreciate the rec though. Still have a Hario Skerton I used to bring to the office before wfh, if I ever need an upgrade I'll check out 1Zpresso.

aragon765

Reaction score
I've had the Fellow Ode v1 for several years and it has been great for anything brew related. It is quiet, has low retention and fines. For my palate (and wallet) it is a perfect fit - does everything well without being overly complicated or expensive.

I have an even older OE Pharos (upgraded to v2.0) for espresso, which is also amazing, but a completely different beast than the Ode. Unfortunately no longer being produced, it is an amazing grinder for what it initially cost (>$500cdn).

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I've had the Fellow Ode v1 for several years and it has been great for anything brew related. It is quiet, has low retention and fines. For my palate (and wallet) it is a perfect fit - does everything well without being overly complicated or expensive.

I have an even older OE Pharos (upgraded to v2.0) for espresso, which is also amazing, but a completely different beast than the Ode. Unfortunately no longer being produced, it is an amazing grinder for what it initially cost (>$500cdn).

OE Pharos are great. They give a consistently great grind quietly and without taking up a lot of space.
They’re reputed to be hard to turn, but i’ve never had a problem cranking out espresso doses at about 1g/s. I’m a slender guy, not a big burly bodybuilder or anything.

aragon765

Reaction score
OE Pharos are great. They give a consistently great grind quietly and without taking up a lot of space.
They’re reputed to be hard to turn, but i’ve never had a problem cranking out espresso doses at about 1g/s. I’m a slender guy, not a big burly bodybuilder or anything.
I also had no issues with grinding by hand, but I did modify the shaft (twss) to accept an electric drill and now use that in place of hand grinding. Has worked flawlessly for 3+ years (despite the many weird looks/comments from guests when I pull out the Dewalt to make espresso... lol)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CoffeeGeek is going to review the new Rancillio Stile grinder which is meant to be a replacement for the aging Rocky which was once the best entry point grinder on the market.

Currently considering a new Turin grinder for single dose grinding (espresso).

Also, got to check out the new Kaffe Logic home roaster this week. https://showroomcoffee.com/product/kaffelogic/

Basically foolproof roasting up to 200g with no smoke if anyone is looking to get into the home roasting game. It's crazy that green prices are now in the $8-10 range for home buyers, but it beats $20 a pound for roasted coffee that may or may not be fresh.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shake made with coffee ice cream and two shots of espresso made with Kona coffee? Yes, please! This was from Hula Cookies and Ice Cream in Wailuku, Maui, HI.

IMG_4356.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This recipe is so good and so easy. I think @patrickBOOTH is on to something that there's lots of crazy techniques but good beans and water gets you 90% there.

Isn’t this just a clever coffee dripper, but using pointy filters instead of flat nosed? Does it really matter the nose shape once you are doing immersion?

Weirdly I read this while brewing in a v60 which is not my usual method. Beans are a dark roast Mulish from a local roaster and I was hoping to get a little more something out of them.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are you enjoying the grinder? And what type of brewing are you using it for? I’m brewing drip coffee on a Technivorm Moccamaster and found that the 8 setting on the Fellow grinder is working out, so far.
I'm liking it. Had used the 10 setting for making cold brew and currently using 4.33 (is that how they're supposed to be referenced? First line past 4) to make drip coffee with a v60.

Haven't gotten around to doing much testing though, which reminds me I should go down to a 4 this afternoon and see if there's any difference.

Really liking how little cleanup is required with this grinder.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo20