• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[|literary suggestions

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going to read Mann, Buddenbrooks.

BTW, and totally off subject, but why is it that every second German, Russian or Scandanavian film seems to have a scene in it in which people are sitting with impassive, suffering faces, on some form of public transportation?  Piece all those scenes together, and you'd have an advert for the California way of life.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, and totally off subject, but why is it that every second German, Russian or Scandanavian film seems to have a scene in it in which people are sitting with impassive, suffering faces, on some form of public transportation?  Piece all those scenes together, and you'd have an advert for the California way of life.
Very true, lol.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
BTW, and totally off subject, but why is it that every second German, Russian or Scandanavian film seems to have a scene in it in which people are sitting with impassive, suffering faces, on some form of public transportation? Â Piece all those scenes together, and you'd have an advert for the California way of life.
haha, not so much concerned about the off-subject as much as I'm wondering about where that came from.
smile.gif

Andrew

Reaction score
My Favoites:
Sirens of Titan
Slaughter House Five
Cat's Cradle... all by Kurt Vonnegut
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
To Kill A Mockingbird
More.. I can't remember

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to read Mann, Buddenbrooks. BTW, and totally off subject, but why is it that every second German, Russian or Scandanavian film seems to have a scene in it in which people are sitting with impassive, suffering faces, on some form of public transportation? Â Piece all those scenes together, and you'd have an advert for the California way of life.
la guy, i haven't seen many german or russian films, as i'm partial to spanish, italian, and french cinema (i'm over my swedish/bergman phase), but where did that comment come from? i don't get it. thracozaag, was it andre gide who said, "trust those who seek truth. don't trust those who find it." i think that was the quote from truffaut's the soft skin.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of my favorites - gets better the more times you read it. I particularly like the use of leitmotif for each character - so musical.

I'll add something humorous:
Decline and Fall, by Evelyn Waugh

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to read Mann, Buddenbrooks. BTW, and totally off subject, but why is it that every second German, Russian or Scandanavian film seems to have a scene in it in which people are sitting with impassive, suffering faces, on some form of public transportation? Â Piece all those scenes together, and you'd have an advert for the California way of life.
la guy, i haven't seen many german or russian films, as i'm partial to spanish, italian, and french cinema (i'm over my swedish/bergman phase), but where did that comment come from? i don't get it. thracozaag, was it andre gide who said, "trust those who seek truth. don't trust those who find it." i think that was the quote from truffaut's the soft skin.
I believe you're correct on that, Matador.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent choice.  I also love Brideshead, and A Handful of Dust, along with Scoop.

Another Waugh fan.

Less popular, but well-written nevertheless: "The Loved One" (excellent send-up of California, well LA) and "Black Mischief" (my favorite part was the 'Birth Control Gala').

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but what's with your obsession with old money

I wasnt aware I was obsessed with Old Money. It's an interesting book that doesn't soley cover the topic of Old Money.It observes the power thats WASP had in America and why they were losing it.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent choice. Â I also love Brideshead, and A Handful of Dust, along with Scoop.
Another Waugh fan. Less popular, but well-written nevertheless: "The Loved One" (excellent send-up of California, well LA) and "Black Mischief" (my favorite part was the 'Birth Control Gala').
I'll have to check out the Loved One, thanks.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
If anyone here is a linguist or just interested in studying oddities of Anglophones, I suggest Crazy English by Richard Lederer. I recently read it and found it very amusing.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matador:  With your handle, I always took you for a fan of Papa. Not surprising you like Death in the Afternoon. A fabulous piece of sports writing.
I'm surprised no one here mentioned Graham Greene. He's like one of the most profound, prolific writers in teh English language of that last century.  Quiet American and The Comedians are two of the best, but really any of his books are great, and he wrote hundreds.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crumbo