• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London shopping, Alfred Sargent factory trip and custom last at Springline

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I must say, it's tough to find good Gun Clubs! I do like this one with the red square overchecks. Plus the other colors (tan, dark brown and green) work well with most of my earthy colored trousers which is what I wear regularly. Are you against Gun Clubs in general or do you find others more appealing than this one? I'd love to hear some suggestions on other nice ones.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to like gun clubs but after seeing vox's and Will's gunclubs I am totally turned off by them. Made up they looks like this
striped+grenadine.jpg
If I had to choose a gun club I would choose one without so much color contrast. Something like this.
HS9-1.jpg
I used to think this was very nice but am no longer sure. I am also not sure if this is a try gun club.
7_71065680.jpg
Moving one, I think that British jacketing designs are overrated on SF. I am going to be ostracized for saying this but have a look through LP and Zegna jacketing books and they are really great IMO. For that matter have a look at HFW's Italian line which I think is made by VBC. Superb designs IMO

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
^ I must say, it's tough to find good Gun Clubs! I do like this one with the red square overchecks. Plus the other colors (tan, dark brown and green) work well with most of my earthy colored trousers which is what I wear regularly. Are you against Gun Clubs in general or do you find others more appealing than this one? I'd love to hear some suggestions on other nice ones.

I'd make the donegal (last one) and the one Binge used to make up his coat. Gun club would be second on the list. Donegal is my favorite.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks slewfoot. i apreciate your photo filled travel posts. even if they do make me jealous.

hk and london in 5 weeks - looking forward to it.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that lots of the Italian fabrics can be very nice. The one issue I take with them is that they are often much more delicate than their English counterparts. I often need practicality and functionality with my fabrics in addition to them looking nice.

This W. Bill Gun Club is definitely more similar to the gameskeeper than to the one Will has above (which looks like the LL Gun Club, but I thought on his blog he mentioned it was something different). The fact that it works with my existing wardrobe is a big plus.

I do like the Donegal, but I might want to find one a bit finer. On a similar note, I just recently saw a deep forest green herringbone with thin, subtle tan and red checks from the Porter & Harding Hartwist book. That might be first in the running for a green sportcoat.

The brown that Binge has is a wonderful stretchy Shetland. I think a sportcoat with a matching vest could be fun.

We'll see how I feel on these as Fall approaches.

courty

Reaction score
The problem with gunclubs is that so many of them are quite boring. I think the overcheck in the posted sample really enlivens the pattern.

To my mind, the best of the samples is the brownish cloth. I would be interested in the cloth's weight and pattern number.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad you like it! I'd say the brown Shetland is around 12oz. Maybe a touch more, but hard to say. The number is 12719. In addition to its wonderful colors, the give and stretch it has make it seem like it will wear incredibly comfortable.

courty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Glad you like it! I'd say the brown Shetland is around 12oz. Maybe a touch more, but hard to say. The number is 12719. In addition to its wonderful colors, the give and stretch it has make it seem like it will wear incredibly comfortable.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member