• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't waste everybody's time going full Frank Costanza, but 3 notable standouts from the last few weeks are the Green council deliberating and then enacting their long laid plans in...2 minutes? Obviously no great shock it did happen, but the abruptness of it was terrible, especially since much of the beauty of Thrones at its best is the plotting and scheming. To have literally none of it? Tough.
The complete lack of skepticism regarding V's deathbed succession reversal also left much to be desired, considering the initial decades long preference for Rhaenyra was reaffirmed the night of, and (admittedly, through gritted teeth, no teeth) acceded to by Alicent. That it's swept away with "it's as simple as that" was mighty underwhelming and smacks of halfassed storytelling.
And, somewhat as the complaint that undergirds most of the failings thus far, the aforementioned time jumps. Neither of the above complaints would (well, should) arise if they spent SOME time looking at the palace intrigues that led up to the results...as well, time jump related, but the young kids are just so useless at this point. The only one I even halfway care about is Aegon (despite being a rapey little ****) because he's the only we one that we've learned anything about in regards to his personality. Aemond's a cartoon villain. Helaena is (despite dropping some heavy foreshadowing) just kinda there? Daeron doesn't even clear that low bar. Rhaenyra's kids could be recast by next week and I'm not sure I'd notice. I certainly wouldn't care. I guess Jace (I'm not going to butcher the spelling lol) is the one we know the most about...and I don't think I have any thoughts beyond him seeming like a decent kid.

Kinda tracking back to the final seasons of Thrones, things have just been so rushed, and it necessarily comes at the cost of suboptimal character development. To my stated skepticism from earlier, I'm getting the sense that HotD is going to go the way of Marvel movies: a just good enough story to fill the gaps between massive CGI spectacles. I do think HotD will be better on the story front, but better than Marvel isn't exactly high praise.

TL/DR: with a few exceptions (some great scenes between Viserys and the two Rhaenyras), it just seems like the showrunners are ticking boxes to hurry along and start showing **** blowing up.
Kudos to you for remembering people's names.
I have for the most part given up...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The plotting already having happened and stacking of the council with Greens didn't bother me; it was going to happen regardless. The deathbed reversal really didn't mean anything except to push Alicent over the edge and go along with it. It didn't look to me like Otto was buying it when Alicent told him, but, whatever, saved him some arguing with his daughter so that's a good enough reason as any to cling to.
"It was going to happen regardless" is the thinking I just can't abide. Why even bother with the show if it's just going to be a halfassed, fast forwarded box checking of things I already know? Doesn't make the show terrible, but "eh" as the rationale for storytelling that is wanting certainly diminishes it, from my vantage.
There was skepticism of his deathbed confession. The only people who “bought into it” were the same people who had already been plotting to make it happen. Why would they put up a fight and question it?

Everyone else laughed it off as absurd.

Edit: That or they were forced to go along with it because they feared for their lives.
Oh, I'm not saying they (pro-Greens) would rail against it, as that would be working entirely against their interests, but the idea that it's mostly sorted out within a scene is just tough for me. The only person who made the topic halfway compelling (by stating the obvious) was Aegon.

As I said, I just get the sense they're rushing through this to get the show where they really want to focus. That's fine, but it also comes with drawbacks, and it's those drawbacks that make it hard for me to deem the show any better than solid.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going with:

1. I doubt anyone really believed it beyond those who desperately wanted it to be true. They just preferred it that way and were happy that the Queen seemed to be on board. They also went to great lengths to avoid the info leaking widely and reaching the ears of those who wouldn't be happy about it....(and yeah, you've got the random lords who don't believe it and don't want it to be true who were forced to accept it anyways because they had the misfortune of being present in the red keep when he died)

and

2. I think its a not as much a lazy storytelling as it is a narrative device. This story is mostly being told from the perspective of the two queens with limited excursions away from their direct spheres of influence. The small council's plan would have been kept extremely secret and built up in whispers over almost 2 decades. Telling that story would have doubled the "shadowy whispers" content of the series and taken away from the action content. Instead, the viewer experiences it as Alicent experiences it, and for her it is all sudden and fast.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno. This whole first season is the buildup to the Dance of Dragons. I'm glad they fast forwarded through quite a bit of it. I don't want another 8 season show. Hell, I think the planned 4 seasons is already going to be stretching it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does westerosi line of succession actually work? I mean, other than essentially being whatever the king wants to decree (assuming it is reasonable enough that people will accept it when he is dead).

Do you actually have to go through a coronation for the line of succession to pass through you to your children?

If Aegon had been killed wouldn't his eldest child be the next logical successor rather than his brother? If it weren't a disputed heir situation, wouldn't he technically have become king as soon as his father died? Or do you need a coronation for his children to gain their rights?

Ditto on the other side. Not that they would hesitate to do so, but if you kill Rhaenyra, you'd have to kill her kids as well since they are still viable challengers if you believe the throne transfers upon death?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve heard an idea they should do an anthology show next. Each season tells a different story from other times and places.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. This whole first season is the buildup to the Dance of Dragons. I'm glad they fast forwarded through quite a bit of it. I don't want another 8 season show. Hell, I think the planned 4 seasons is already going to be stretching it.
See, funny enough, I think 4 could have been plausible when it started, but I also fully went into it expecting the "young cast" to last for the entirety of S1. As stands, and regardless of how S1E10 plays out, I don't know how they make 30+ more hours out of the remainder of the story. Lots of things catching fire, I'd wager.
How does westerosi line of succession actually work? I mean, other than essentially being whatever the king wants to decree (assuming it is reasonable enough that people will accept it when he is dead).

Do you actually have to go through a coronation for the line of succession to pass through you to your children?

If Aegon had been killed wouldn't his eldest child be the next logical successor rather than his brother? If it weren't a disputed heir situation, wouldn't he technically have become king as soon as his father died? Or do you need a coronation for his children to gain their rights?

Ditto on the other side. Not that they would hesitate to do so, but if you kill Rhaenyra, you'd have to kill her kids as well since they are still viable challengers if you believe the throne transfers upon death?
To your prior reply, I will just say I think your read on the story's delivery is quite generous. Far more than mine, if nothing else.

Yes to your Aegon Q, for the most part. That would technically be correct, but, as we see (and preceding events in F&B show), power resides where it can be enforced. Aemond could certainly kill the as yet unnamed (show wise) son of Aegon and seize the throne, but TBD as to whether he'd have the backing needed from other houses to realistically maintain power.

The actual coronation is mostly pomp and circumstance for the plebes. Mystery baby would likely become king (had Aegon died) and immediately assume power (under a regency), but his reign wouldn't be deemed fully legitimate until properly crowned.

Yes to your Rhaenyra Q as well. If they're gonna off her and Daemon, the kiddos are getting got too.
I’ve heard an idea they should do an anthology show next. Each season tells a different story from other times and places.
I strongly dislike the idea, unless it's a story that can realistically be told (well) in 1 season/10 episodes. The Dunk and Egg series they have pending could plausibly fit under those parameters...though, surprise surprise, I think they'd be better served stretching it out a bit.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, obviously they would be telling smaller stories to fit the anthology format. I think it could be an interesting experiment.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, obviously they would be telling smaller stories to fit the anthology format. I think it could be an interesting experiment.
I'm always a bit skittish of oversaturation, but I think I'd enjoy them going this route via animated series a la Star Wars Clone Wars & Rebels, especially with stories that are more secondary to the primary houses and require less grandeur/spectacle. Would LOVE to learn about the Reeds post-Robert's Rebellion.

I would LOVE to see a focus on the Blackfyre Rebellions, but that seems like a ***** and a half to do well. Maybe focus on the just the first. A notable bonus to going that route would be the audience getting introduced to arguably the shittiest person in the history of Westeros!

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm always a bit skittish of oversaturation, but I think I'd enjoy them going this route via animated series a la Star Wars Clone Wars & Rebels, especially with stories that are more secondary to the primary houses and require less grandeur/spectacle. Would LOVE to learn about the Reeds post-Robert's Rebellion.

I would LOVE to see a focus on the Blackfyre Rebellions, but that seems like a ***** and a half to do well. Maybe focus on the just the first. A notable bonus to going that route would be the audience getting introduced to arguably the shittiest person in the history of Westeros!

I'm somehow surprised you like Game of Thrones, and yet I guess I shouldn't be. It's such incredibly lowbrow entertainment. On one hand I hold you to higher account, on the other, I don't. I'll temper my expectations of you from here on out. Enjoy silly shows if you wish.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now I'm curious as to who the general public is rooting for here.

Unless you're a deliberately anti-woke personality, I find it hard to justify rooting for anyone but Rhaenyra. But maybe that's just because all of this story is based on like 27 paragraphs of text and the real story is yet to come.

Like...She's the one named by the king, and she's got non-shitbird sons. Yes, I guess they are technically bastards, but they are still of her blood and it wasn't her choice to be saddled with a gay husband. And yeah, she married her uncle who can be a dick, but she clearly wields control herself.
Alicent has a pair of deeply flawed male children who no-one in their right mind should want to rule the 7 kingdoms. She doesn't have the valid claim, and everything down to her own marriage was an outright manipulation and power grab. But I guess her claim keeps a man in charge, rather than let a woman (played by a non-binary actress, and who allowed her husband to galivant around with men) take over.

I'm almost surprised GRRM didn't write Rhaenyra as having the shithead kid so it becomes a choice between the "rightful" heir who has been mostly absent from court for the past 15 years and will leave the kingdom to a terrible child...and a "plausible" nice-boy heir who has been present at court and whose mother has essentially been running the small council for years.

I mean...it is easy to see why various lords would prefer Aegon politically (especially distant lords who aren't personal witness to him being a terrible person)...but I don't see many in the audience rooting for his claim (or for any of the other greens by association).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhnguyen38