• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dalaruan

Reaction score
I’m supposed to get a suit from kotaro that’s 450g anyday now. But, at this rate, I won’t have an occasion to wear it until next year. But that’s the way things go.

Looks good my friend! Are you going to try kenji Suzuki now that he’s back in Japan? If i was in Asia for an extended period of time, he’d be on my list to try (partly because I’ve never ordered French tailoring & am curious). Him, one of the Neapolitan guys & an English-inspired guy. Based purely on curiosity.
Would add Raffaniello to the list. Had a DB jacket made by him and its an absolute beauty. Granted the fit could be better but i asked to have it delivered with 1 fit only so it's always going to be a big compromise. I would definitely commission more if i can fly over to Japan regularly again

me.spoke

Reaction score
Update on my DB tuxedo - the lapel shape is not definite, it will be basted for tomorrow’s fitting to visualise its final form.

IMG_3496.jpeg

Question on the trousers, though… I was quite surprised by the side stripe… I was expecting something like this:

IMG_3502.jpeg

But instead it looks like this:

IMG_3497.jpeg

IMG_3498.jpeg

I don’t know what to make of it - the tailor says it is a more traditional and ‘refined’ version, but the sateen stripe seems too narrow to me. The whole thing kind of reminds me of a zipper from the distance due to the machine overstitch. Any thoughts on what whether I should require a change of the side stripe or leave it be?

I think it was supposed to be something like this (Simon Crompton’s tux by Richard Anderson):

IMG_3503.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would add Raffaniello to the list. Had a DB jacket made by him and it’s an absolute beauty. Granted the fit could be better but i asked to have it delivered with 1 fit only so it's always going to be a big compromise. I would definitely commission more if i can fly over to Japan regularly again
I’m surprised he would let a garment out of his shop without being satisfied with it, fit wise.

You bring up a good point though, with Japanese artisans, unless you’re willing to stick it out & do all the proper fittings, what’s the point? Of course, if they travel to the us, that’s a different story. But, I wouldn’t work with them unless I had plans to come back multiple times. @tdang lives in Asia, so it’s not terribly difficult for him to get to Japan (and I am jealous of him for that haha). But, for me, you need to plan to visit frequently until they atleast get your pattern down. Then you can order subsequently & just do 1 fitting.

And, I suppose this goes for every artisan, not just Japanese. But for Americans, Japan is much further than Europe (20+ hour flight vs. 12 hour flight). Just something to think about when embarking on this journey.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on my DB tuxedo - the lapel shape is not definite, it will be basted for tomorrow’s fitting to visualise its final form.

View attachment 2122785

Question on the trousers, though… I was quite surprised by the side stripe… I was expecting something like this:

View attachment 2122791

But instead it looks like this:

View attachment 2122787
View attachment 2122789
I don’t know what to make of it - the tailor says it is a more traditional and ‘refined’ version, but the sateen stripe seems too narrow to me. The whole thing kind of reminds me of a zipper from the distance due to the machine overstitch. Any thoughts on what whether I should require a change of the side stripe or leave it be?

I think it was supposed to be something like this (Simon Crompton’s tux by Richard Anderson):

View attachment 2122827

That style of trouser braiding is called "OFB(Old fashioned Braid)." Be thankful, that is more than likely vintage and very difficult to find. It's the traditional trouser braiding style for Dinner trousers and can be worn with both white and black tie.

me.spoke

Reaction score
That style of trouser braiding is called "OFB(Old fashioned Braid)." Be thankful, that is more than likely vintage and very difficult to find. It's the traditional trouser braiding style for Dinner trousers and can be worn with both white and black tie.
Thanks! Sorry for my ignorance. I will leave it in its current form.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Sorry for my ignorance. I will leave it in its current form.

I wasn't aware of this style either, always something to learn.

Frankly, I would prefer a simpler design on the stripe.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of this style either, always something to learn.

Frankly, I would prefer a simpler design on the stripe.

Tbh, most people outside of the UK would bother to know or care.

The only reason I know is because when I was sourcing trouser braiding for my dinner suit I emailed B&B and asked them about it. They are one of the only online suppliers of OFB trousers braiding.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the OFB braid personally unless my facings are satin in which case I prefer satin...but OFB is equally correct and looks good!

The main advantage that I can think of with regards to OFB is that it is technically neither satin nor grosgrain. As "silk braiding" (hence the origin of the term "trouser braiding" as it relates to military/formal trousers), it can be worn with both Silk Satin and Silk Grosgrain formal trimmings and accessories.

Its also appropriate for all evening formal and semi formal trousers.

Dalaruan

Reaction score
I’m surprised he would let a garment out of his shop without being satisfied with it, fit wise.

You bring up a good point though, with Japanese artisans, unless you’re willing to stick it out & do all the proper fittings, what’s the point? Of course, if they travel to the us, that’s a different story. But, I wouldn’t work with them unless I had plans to come back multiple times. @tdang lives in Asia, so it’s not terribly difficult for him to get to Japan (and I am jealous of him for that haha). But, for me, you need to plan to visit frequently until they atleast get your pattern down. Then you can order subsequently & just do 1 fitting.

And, I suppose this goes for every artisan, not just Japanese. But for Americans, Japan is much further than Europe (20+ hour flight vs. 12 hour flight). Just something to think about when embarking on this journey.
Ah I should clarify things, just realised what I said might cause some misunderstandings

I had my first fit and both of us are satisfied with the minor corrections. I asked him to mail me the finished jacket so he didn't see me wearing the finished article. My body shape changes quite a bit from time to time so I guess that's why the fit is ever so slightly off. It's not that bad though, just nitpicking and me asking for a 1-fit and no final check have contributed to this. I still highly recommend raffa though, beautiful garments

Yes I think it's much better to have a thorough fitting for the first order and then subsequent orders can be a 1-fitter. My plan is to find a time, take the jacket back to raffa for alterations, and then the pattern should be good enough going forward

me.spoke

Reaction score
The main advantage that I can think of with regards to OFB is that it is technically neither satin nor grosgrain. As "silk braiding" (hence the origin of the term "trouser braiding" as it relates to military/formal trousers), it can be worn with both Silk Satin and Silk Grosgrain formal trimmings and accessories.

Its also appropriate for all evening formal and semi formal trousers.
From what I understand the satin stripe running through the middle of the braid is the same fabric that will be used for lapel facings. That said, it is very subtle and I can surely imagine pairing these trousers with jackets with grosgrain facings.

Now that you shed a little light on the topic I think the braid is indeed vintage, just like many other black tie trimmings this tailor offers. He is in his 70s and took over the shop as an apprentice after his boss died in 1950s. I guess they might be pre-war or early post-war items. I will ask him today during the fitting.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonsmit.5555