• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mr Stevens - The $268 for the service doesn't sound terrible, although maybe a tad on the high side. I haven't looked around but you might be able to source an entirely new movement for that price? That might be something to look into with the shop doing the work.

I'd consider the crystal replacement as a separate cost/job. Was there some reason you are replacing the crystal? Is the original one all scratched up or damaged?

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
@Mr Stevens - The $268 for the service doesn't sound terrible, although maybe a tad on the high side. I haven't looked around but you might be able to source an entirely new movement for that price? That might be something to look into with the shop doing the work.

I'd consider the crystal replacement as a separate cost/job. Was there some reason you are replacing the crystal? Is the original one all scratched up or damaged?
Thanks - good point about finding a replacement movement. No, the crystal is in pretty good condition. No idea why they added that to it.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - good point about finding a replacement movement. No, the crystal is in pretty good condition. No idea why they added that to it.
My understanding is that Seiko does not actually perform a full service on the 4R and 6R movements but simply installs a new movement. Also, if you don't want the crystal replaced, tell them. Unless there is something wrong with it, I cannot imagine they will insist on its replacement.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
My understanding is that Seiko does not actually perform a full service on the 4R and 6R movements but simply installs a new movement. Also, if you don't want the crystal replaced, tell them. Unless there is something wrong with it, I cannot imagine they will insist on its replacement.
That makes sense. It looks like $268 is not much more than the movement costs, so you're probably right. I'll just let them know to leave the crystal. Thanks for the insights guys!

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20240503_101026.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Sent in my Seiko Alpinist 6R15-00E0 for service since it's running many minutes slow per day (strangely only when worn though), and they quoted me $400 to repair. Does this seem right? I know it's worth more now, but that's more than I paid for the watch new years back when I bought it. (Edit: typo) View attachment 2178751
It is half of the average price for a luxury watch service…

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was also my experience with Seiko's USA-based servicing. My SARB017 Alpinist needed servicing and calibration, they replaced the movement and dialed it in.
Worth it for me, these are hard to find these days and more than double the service price to buy one.

Edit:
@Mr Stevens , tell your employees to stop drying their trays in the rainforest or I will complain to Jeff Vader.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads