• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a good table/desk lamp

Blog Marley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to stay close to $100 range (can be higher). I currently am using an Ikea halogen that makes my desk/work space unbearably hot. I was looking into LED lamps and was really taken by the Koncept Z-Bar until I heard that it's not so bright (and at 165+ I expect it to be), I'm not a huge fan of its style but the Ecolight by IMG lighting won me over with its great reviews. The only problem is it's only sold on Amazon and Amazon has been sold out. I saw that Ikea has a $40 led lamp, it's not stylish but it serves the function. Ideally I'd like to avoid halogen and the heat it produces. I saw an old post recommending going with a desk and floor lamp set up but I don't want to go the cheap route, I've had a Crate and Barrel floor lamp crap out on me after a year or two.

Also I'd appreciate computer chair recommendations for a small space. I'm completely smitten by the Herman Miller Setu and Mirra but at $500 and 600 respectively it's a bit rich for my blood (small timer college student). I checked out craigslist and ebay, the shipping fees on ebay are ridiculous and I found mostly Aerons on CL.

jkirk

Reaction score
Ikea is the only place that I know of for cheaper lamps but I'm not seeing many complaints about the Z-Bar unless you've found some? I see a couple on Amazon but with over 25 reviews, it still has 4.5/5 stars... Thinking of splurging on that myself for a number of pros... Stylishness and lack of heat being my main benefits. Here are the main ones I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Z-Bar-Power-La...0715370&sr=1-2 You can of course find more if you go to the different colors.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ikea actually makes some great lights.

Too bad I can't currently find a good pendant for my dining table...because if you stay away from their absolute bottom end crap (like the ubiquitous floor lamp that is like $6 and a piece of complete ****), their lights are great.

Definitely a section of the store I could spend a lot of time in. I have always liked the luxo-lamps and the tertial is a fairly good approximation. You can buy a base for it if you don't want to clamp/screw the mount into your desk. Use a CFL instead of a 60w bulb and you will have solved the heat issue.

of course...you could buy a real luxo lamp too...

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Target has many lamps... I use a $10 one on my desk. Throw one of those florescent bulbs and the heat will be gone....

The lamp works well enough... Been using it for a year now.

captoe

Reaction score
a good copy of a tolomeo is around that price. also a bankers lamp but might be to trad for what you want.

arisyap

Reaction score
hey, I know that Z-Bar Led desk lamp! If it is not bright enough bright for you, how about the LED night reader lamp. It comes in two version, the warm light and the day light. Or also you may want to try the moppel lights which can be bent into various poses, and stuck to surfaces using suction cups. I think it's cheaper.

speedfreak

Reaction score
I bought a Tolomeo Tavolo (by Artemide) a few years ago and love it. It's somewhere around the 200 EUR mark (not sure what it retails for in the US), but definity worth it.
artemide-fassini-tolomeo-tavolo-7403_z2.jpg

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Target has many lamps... I use a $10 one on my desk. Throw one of those florescent bulbs and the heat will be gone....

The lamp works well enough... Been using it for a year now.

Exactly what I do. I just wish there was a "dimmer" switch so to speak, so that you could regulate how bright you want the light. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blog Marley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
i'm going to bump this.

anymore recommendations on desk lamps for dorms? something relatively inexpensive.

Blog Marley - which lamp did you exactly see at ikea? a link possibly?

It's not on the website any more it retailed at about $40.

I think I'm going to go with the EcoLight IMG Lighting (the makers of the lamp emailed me and told me they found a missing palette of them, yes this sounds very suspicious to me too)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile