• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer business casual (very casual) shirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shades9323

Reaction score
I need some advice on short sleeve shirts for the summer months. Not sure if I should go with button down dress shirts or polo's or a combination of the two? Both options are acceptable. I am a slim guy, so slim/fitted shirts are a must. I wear chino's/slacks and Allen Edmonds shoes. My shoes fall on the more casual side (6th Avenue, McTavish, Neumok). Also looking for advice on what brands to look for/where to shop. I am used to buying most things from Kohls, but have a lot more disposable income now. I would like to stay under $50 per shirt though.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you'd be willing to spend about $15 more ($65), you can get some good quality polos from Kent Wang.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could suggest that there is *no such thing* as "short sleeve business very casual." But purely for the sake of this thread, I'll instead pretend that I've drifted into a parallel universe identical to my own in every way, save that very casual short sleeve shirts can constitute appropriate businesswear. :)

1. Polo shirts -

I'll put in a vote for Lands' End.

Literally dozens of different styles from which to choose - different fits, lengths, weights, fabrics, etc.

Good color choices.

No logo. I really dislike wearing logos.

And relatively inexpensive, particularly during one of LE's not-too-uncommon 40% off sales, or when using a really good coupon code. So even if the shirt doesn't last as long as an $50 polo from someone else - and I'm not saying it won't - at $18, it's still a bargain.

Go online. Buy a mess of (that's a highly technical term) LE polos in all different styles. Keep the ones you like. Return the rest to your local Sears for an easy refund. (I'm assuming you live somewhere near a Sears store. Maybe you don't. Maybe you live in some foreign land where Sears is unknown. But you neglected to say where you were located, so I figure I'm allowed to assume whatever I like with regard to your location.)

2. Non-polo shirts -

Go to Jos. A. Bank, or L.L. Bean, or somewhere, and buy a few seersucker shirts. Seersucker rocks. And since I'm pretending that very casual short sleeve shirts are business appropriate, I see no reason why seersucker should be ruled out.

I like seersucker so much more than madras, and seersucker will keep you cooler, and it actually looks better when it's somewhat wrinkled. It's a miracle fabric.

shades9323

Reaction score
I am in the business of state government IT. Perhaps business casual is a stretch, but we can only wear jeans on Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members