• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tan Shoes or...no tan?

Lino

Reaction score
I'm considering a couple of AE shoe options. The same model in tan and/or brown.
300789.jpg
300772.jpg
My wife thinks the tan is "a lot of shoe", meaning she thinks it may be a bit loud, I tend to disagree. Opinions? There is also the question of what goes with a tan shoe? I would think they would work well dressed down with jeans and a jacket, with a navy suit (particularly in a linen or cotton summer fabric), or with biz-casual (cotton trousers and odd jacket). How do those sound? (particularly the the idea of the navy summer suit, I happen to have a new corneliani in the closet that I'm looking forward to wearing) Other options? Oh, also, would the tan work with seersuckeer? (i'm thinking not, but wanted to get other opinions) Cheers, Lino

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like tan as a spring/summer shoe, or with certain light color tweeds.

The ultimate seersucker shoe is a white buck. Second would be a brown and white spectator. But tan also works, I think. Light is good with seersucker.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of those shoes would go well with khakis or a jacket and trousers. i have a few pairs of tan shoes that do get a good amount of wearing.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
My wife also dislikes my tan shoes for some reason. Is there a female antipathy to tan?

That said, I'm really looking forward to giving them wear this spring.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister-in-law dislikes tan shoes as well, she thinks mine look too "cowboyish". I wear them with khakis, taupe slacks, denim.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like tan shoes too, but, like Manton, mostly for spring and summer. As such, I tend to prefer simplicity in design. I much prefer a plaintoe blucher or a sleek bal, similar to the Polo Tellman. I would not get much use out of heavy brogues in tan. Maybe your wife is reacting to the combination of the wingtip and the color?

As far as matching, tan shoes are very versatile. Light gray or a warmer blue both look great. But I'd be careful with navy -- if it's a cold navy, the effect might be disjointed.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan. I have several pairs in this range, AE included.
I'd get both colors actually, but I just like how the tan shows off the detailing of the shoe and its bound to get richer with time. As Doc said, they can be a bit jarring with dark blue but in time as the shoe gets darker, less so.
I agree with the above posts as well, you'll get lots of mileage in spring /summer and even fall with tan.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have tan oxfords from CJ, which are just a tad more svelte looking than these. They are good with certain lighter tweeds, and I'm looking forward to pairing them with white or pale yellow trousers in the summer. It's not the most versatile color in my world, but it is nice in the right circumstance.

gj555

Reaction score
I have pair of plaintoe vintage Florsheim Kenmoor's in tan. While I liked the tan when looking at the shoes, I found I was not wearing them very often because I did not know what to wear them with. So, I started to use AE chili shoe cream and have transformed them into a chili colour. Now I wear them a lot more.

All this to say that the darker ones may be more versatile. But, if you get the tan ones and after a while find you are not wearing them, you can always take some darker brown shoe cream and slowly transform them into a deeper brown colour.

Lino

Reaction score
Hmmm...so these would be a bad choice to go with say a linen/wool Corneliani for the tan and for the brown a Zenga navy pin or slim cut navy?

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Suits, you mean? Is the Corneliani one of the bulkier older models?

Unless you've got something creative in mind, I have a hard time picturing these thick, clunky bluchers with a slim suit.

You may be right, I posted that not long after waking up, then considered editing it. Though, as far as bulk, these are trim compared to the gunboats that are the Vass Budapester and...ack, that German brand that starts with a D that is escaping my mind.

Lino

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the brown ones and a pair of black semi-brough bals (as seen on another thread) from Grapevinehill.com.

If I like the brown enough, then I'll reconsider the tan.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AE Chestnut / tan color is not what would be considered the "first" color to buy. However, I have a pair of the Coltons in the chestnut and like them very much. I have antiqued them a bit (and it was easily done) with some darker polish on the cap and counter areas. Takes a bit of the glow from the color while letting it still show as the underlying chestnut. They were a bit like that anyway when new from the box. I considerd the blucher style as a bit less formal and thought it would go better with the lighter color.

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charley
The AE Chestnut / tan color is not what would be considered the "first" color to buy. However, I have a pair of the Coltons in the chestnut and like them very much. I have antiqued them a bit (and it was easily done) with some darker polish on the cap and counter areas. Takes a bit of the glow from the color while letting it still show as the underlying chestnut. They were a bit like that anyway when new from the box. I considerd the blucher style as a bit less formal and thought it would go better with the lighter color.

I love Coltons in Chestnut. If I saw them at this price (in my size), I'd buy them right away.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
selwane33