• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most families don't consider housing a fungible good. We've considered selling our house and renting something for a few months to a year before buying in a different location in our general area but it's a risky move with a lot of negative externalities. Kids don't like moving (even within the same area), moving itself can be difficult, you have to deal with a landlord, etc. It's not like choosing to buy or lease a car which is more purely a finance-driven decision.

We definitely benefit from the risk reduction of locking in housing costs for our primary residence. Pricing is volatile where I live (but mostly moving upward) and I've known plenty of people who face challenges when being forced out of a rental and trying to find a suitable replacement.

For our mountain vacation home situation, long-term leasing would still be a much better fit and the switching costs are far lower / less disruptive to the family. But there are still plenty of benefits to owning.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other "personal choice" factor that's not really weighed in the calculator is simply property availability for the particular type of housing you want. There's a lot fewer single family homes available for rent than for purchase.

Plus, if you actually like to be able to modify your property, that pretty much locks you into owning.

I ran the numbers for my place and it said I'm saving almost two million dollars over 30 years by buying when I did vs renting at current prices. Not exactly a fair comparison considering prices and mortgage rates have also gone up, but I'm happy with that decision. Renting in my neighborhood is currently more than double my mortgage, and there's only about two properties that I've seen up for rent in the last decade.

It's definitely good to question the conventional wisdom that buying is always better than renting. Too many younger people act like they're getting totally screwed by not being able to buy, and that's not necessarily true.

When we moved, a huge part of our criteria was staying in the zone for the elementary school the kids are already attending. I checked, and the only house in this area for rent that even has the room we'd need is renting for a few hundred dollars less per month than our mortgage payment. It's also 2000 square feet smaller and has a smaller lot.

And frankly, I'm done with renting. The landlords I've dealt with have all made life more difficult, especially when it came time to move out.

And yes, I'd rather be responsible for the upkeep of the place. I just installed a new bottom seal on the garage door. It's a hassle, but it's not like new things to repair pop up all the time (sarcasm! Of course they do... I have a list of things to do.).

Again, obviously YMMV. If nothing major changes, we'll have this place paid off within seven years or so, and will pay a fraction of the interest on the loan as someone in a 30-year fixed.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw this in a listing today...Like bro...take it easy out there.
I get that you love your hobby or whatever, but you're selling the house not offering up a photo gallery of your collection.
1715795308948.png

Also, can you imagine running on that treadmill?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

brokencycle

Reaction score
I think you all would be surprised. As a kid, there was always one kid's house that had a ton of hunting trophies (maybe not that extreme).

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw this in a listing today...Like bro...take it easy out there.
I get that you love your hobby or whatever, but you're selling the house not offering up a photo gallery of your collection.
View attachment 2184909

Also, can you imagine running on that treadmill?

Getting gored by a stuffed animal head would be quite the accomplishment.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you all would be surprised. As a kid, there was always one kid's house that had a ton of hunting trophies (maybe not that extreme).
Yeah, this person is 100% married*.

Possibly unhappily and since age 19, but the rest of the house clearly wasn't furnished by a single dude.

*unless the house is being sold due to a divorce

brokencycle

Reaction score

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boomers say you can take my house from my cold dead hands; spending $100k+ to not have to move out.

Two thoughts on the financial aspects.

First - doesn't the tax code drive people toward this outcome? Some people would have to pay cap gains on sale (if gain is over $500k, which is true for millions of boomers in CA). And when people die, they can transfer the property with stepped up basis to their heirs and never have to pay that cap gains.

Second - our society is only getting older. It might be a smart investment to make your house more attractive to geriatrics.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
Two thoughts on the financial aspects.

First - doesn't the tax code drive people toward this outcome? Some people would have to pay cap gains on sale (if gain is over $500k, which is true for millions of boomers in CA). And when people die, they can transfer the property with stepped up basis to their heirs and never have to pay that cap gains.

Second - our society is only getting older. It might be a smart investment to make your house more attractive to geriatrics.
#1 is absolutely true. Our tax code's attempt to social engineer shows unintended consequences.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TryPuravivePils