• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SF Brazillian Jiujitsu Thread - fans, competitors, filthy casuals, all are welcome

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@razorfrazer - have you ever sent in your videos to be critiqued by Andrew Wiltse? I think that his breakdown videos of like "normal blue/purple/brown belts", so basically, by his criteria, everyone not winning gold or silver at worlds and Pans, to be pretty interesting. Sometimes, I am like "Haha, that was dumb." but nearly just as often, I am like "Huh, I do that sometimes. Well, dammit" especially at the purple and brown belt level". I feel like especailly no gi, since I don't really train it, he would say "Oh, now some bullshit went on."

I haven't no. I usually look like **** in competition compared to training so I would be afraid to get critiqued by the master. ha ha. When I was a white belt I paid a black belt to review some of my matches and it was super helpful. The guys name was like Otap or something.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't no. I usually look like **** in competition compared to training so I would be afraid to get critiqued by the master. ha ha. When I was a white belt I paid a black belt to review some of my matches and it was super helpful. The guys name was like Otap or something.
Well, I look my same medIocre self in training and competition. For BJJ, there is really no sense lying about your abilities, or you just send up looking foolish. I will say that I am a decent strategic learner, so I nearly always look better in consequent rounds than I do in my first roll or competition against the same guy. I'm reasonably non-crappy at shutting people down and imposing a grinding, smashing game that uusually produces a submission, usually closer to the end of the round than the beginning. That, or I defend, defend, defend, if the opposition is just that much better, and then get the same "Well, he really tried" accolades that Couch got in the last WNO. The is answer is more often than not "Well, not that guy. but he never gave up." I have to say that i've been surprised a couple of times, which is annoying and probably the most "ugh" feeling matches.

I got caught by smaller (165 lbs) purple belt one time when I was knee cuttimg him hard, and suddenly he had my caught in a suicide baseball bat choke, and because it came on so fast, and I don't see it that often, I forgot every sensible defense and just eneded up tapping. Those are the ones that stick with you. That you 100% should have defended and won, but lost because for about 5-10 seconds, your mind just forgets what it's supposed to do in a situation you might hve seen a few times in training, but while your mind is frantically using its search function to figure out wtf your body should do, you are forced to tap.

Oh, and my first *pro* MMA match, I was against another 0-0 fighter. We both completely blew our gas tanks in the first round (which I won pretty decisively), and also had gigantic adrenaline dumps. It was terrible. I had won the first round, and sat down on the stool tired but elated. 60 seconds later, I could barely feel my feet and hands and stand up. For the next two rounds, we were more or less either at range, pecking at each other, or in the clinch throwing knees or short punches. It was disgraceful. We were actually booed by the crowd. Frankly, neither of us had the energy to care. If either of us had had the strength and resolve to take the other down. there is a zero % chance that the other could have gotten off their back. But neither of us could get it done. I came out the third round resolves to be less crap, and front kicked the dude right in the solar plexus. It buckled him, and emboldened by that, I tried it again, and kicked him right in the nuts. 100% not on purpose. And any training mate will tell you that I have good front kicks and good technical front kicks, but I was over 10 minutes in, and my technique was super sloppy, and my knee caught his cup. A warning (it was clear that it was not on purpose, just the product of eshaustion) More booing. The rest of the round, we clinched up Thai style and exchanged knees and elbows. I won 30-27. While it was a few steps up from Kimbo Slice (Rest in Power) vs Dada 5000 (this is the best last round summary I've seen of that fight: it was not great.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Training today: one super annoying thing that big guys do is "fat boy" out a triangle choke. Basically, you just throw the shoulder. So I have been using, since purple belt, an S grip around the head. In IBJJF rules, you cannot do a neck crank, but if a fool decides to neck crank themselves, that's on them.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Training today: one super annoying thing that big guys do is "fat boy" out a triangle choke. Bascially, you just throw ths shoulder So I have been using, since purple belt, an S grip around the head. In IBJJF rules, you cannot do a neck crank, but if a fool decides to neck crank themselves, that's on them.
I can usually feel when guys want to do the big man triangle pass. The trick is the control the sleeve of the trapped arm so it cant make a connection on your far shoulder. Frankly it only works if the shoulder is already popping out.
I didnt understand the neck crank comment!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can usually feel when guys want to do the big man triangle pass. The trick is the control the sleeve of the trapped arm so it cant make a connection on your far shoulder. Frankly it only works if the shoulder is already popping out.
I didnt understand the neck crank comment!
I’ll try that. What I meant is that I control their jaw using the close hand. It becomes really difficult to turn the shoulder when you can’t turn your neck in that direction. But sometimes I’ll just use both hands to S grip the far side of the head, a bit like a vertical twister. Same concept as what you do, I think, except head control rather than arm.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres also some of the mobility work Ive been doing to be able to return to competition with my bad back.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have the same level of joint pain at the moment although its getting worse. No i dont really lift just like KB’s once in a while. I do a lot of mobility work and running though. I had a buldged disx that was very painful though!

ill start postung more here I enjoy or talks! Competing this friday in a superfight ebi rules and lasy weekend i won a FUJI Open nogi.

some highlights!

Nice. Super clean work. I really do need to learn and practice more no gi. So much of my game is centered on grips, and although things are supposed to translate, they really don’t, or at least, don’t beyond the blue belt level or so. That second entry is sorta my go to for leg entanglements from guard. That second I use to enter single leg X, but I’ll use it to sweep into a leg drag to pass or attack the back directly, but that heel hook looks like an easier path. I need to practice stuff like that more, though your opponents don’t seem to know your strengths. Against someone like you, especially in no gi, I’d do my best to definitely not post my leg the way that first guy does, with no controls at all. I guess that he’ll live and learn.

lol. I’ve popped my right arm twice while writing this post. Dammit.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Super clean work. I really do need to learn and practice more no gi. So much of my game is centered on grips, and although things are supposed to translate, they really don’t, or at least, don’t beyond the blue belt level or so. That second entry is sorta my go to for leg entanglements from guard. That second I use to enter single leg X, but I’ll use it to sweep into a leg drag to pass or attack the back directly, but that heel hook looks like an easier path. I need to practice stuff like that more, though your opponents don’t seem to know your strengths. Against someone like you, especially in no gi, I’d do my best to definitely not post my leg the way that first guy does, with no controls at all. I guess that he’ll live and learn.

lol. I’ve popped my right arm twice while writing this post. Dammit.
The dude i kneebarred looked me up for sure and wouldnt engage me. That was literally off the first real exchangw where ge tried to leg drag me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dude i kneebarred looked me up for sure and wouldnt engage me. That was literally off the first real exchangw where ge tried to leg drag me.
Yeah, bad idea a his part. Leg drags are awesome in gi, and I use those and torreandos all the time, but the are way too uncontrolled for me to like in no gi. It’s over unders, bodylock and knee cuts for me, depending on what’s available.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are totally right. In nogi i will sit back into leg entanglements too . False reap, kani basami or just step in 50/50
I will do a false leg drag to enter the inside ashi, or I’ll step in super deep into head quarters to hunt the undertook and knee cut, and backstep into the knee bar if the guy posts his foot on my hip. Again, no gi is just so different though. With collar and pants grips, it’s so much easier to prevent people from leg entries, or even just like, escaping side control. See Lucas Lepri vs. Jake MacKenzie.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find nogi so much more interesting atm. You would like false reap from top positiono
I think that both are pretty cool. I do find that gi has more possibilities, say, just the sub possibilities from the back (you have to defend both the bow and arrow and related chokes as well as the rnc, just) while no gi makes you work with fewer defenses as well as fewer offensive strategies, the push pull and frame controls are just very different.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@razorfrazer - one of the best leg draggers in the game, and the details there and the level of control you can achieve from the grips and the friction, is one of th=e reasons that I love the gi.

That said, I've been working on my false reap entry from reverse DLR to get te inside sankaku position.

False reap is the **** ! I love hitting it on people that think they can just knee slice through it. One of my top moves right now.

Back on the competition circuit this weekend. Got a brown belt in the Gi and two big boys in NoGi absolute. Been hitting the weight room trying to gain mass so I'll be competing at 155. Hoping by the end of august when I compete AJP I'll fill into this weight class and maybe even have to cut to it.

Also glad to see Meragali get his open weight championship at 2022 worlds. I was afraid he missed his shot.

If you haven't been paying attention to Mica Galvao you better start now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
False reap is the **** ! I love hitting it on people that think they can just knee slice through it. One of my top moves right now.

Back on the competition circuit this weekend. Got a brown belt in the Gi and two big boys in NoGi absolute. Been hitting the weight room trying to gain mass so I'll be competing at 155. Hoping by the end of august when I compete AJP I'll fill into this weight class and maybe even have to cut to it.

Also glad to see Meragali get his open weight championship at 2022 worlds. I was afraid he missed his shot.

If you haven't been paying attention to Mica Galvao you better start now.
I’ve been paying attention to Mica for a while now and the Ruotolos since Keenan and Josh started name dropping them years before 2020. I think like 2018 or even 2017. Tainan I’ve been following since I saw him wreck really good Black belts that I know as a new purple belt. This new generation is insanely good.

155. Geez. I used to have to make a 15 lb cut to make 155 in my birthday suit, and that was over 20 years ago now, These days, I would be super lean at 170. How tall are you? I bet that that is the big difference. I’m 5’11”.

Yeah, I’m loving the false reap, and for the same reason, have either been using only the knee cut with one arm or shoulder firmly in hand, or if I see the false reap myself, switching direction to pass using a leg drag. I don’t wanna get heel hooked! Still having some trouble body lock passing effectively, since my close passing has always been double unders and over unders. But even old guys can learn. We started building out a second gym, but unlike the first one, which I more or less built with my coach by hand back in 2016, I’m not so involved in this one, which is farther away. Sorta sad, but it is what it is.

That leg drag is for real though. I’ve always grabbed the lapel, and this is so much smoother and tighter. I add a step of cupping that lower knee before going to the jacket to prevent guard retention.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile