• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your collection is amazing. I deeply suspect you are a time traveler.

This is the only rational or logical reason.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Allen Edmonds MacNeil. Circa 1968-1972. “Owl eye slug” heel.

IMG_2670.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1988 AE MacNeil in shell today…
IMG_5409.jpeg
IMG_5410.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drizzly day in the PNW so it was time for the beater Imperials.
20240108_181319.jpg

This circa 1952 Eterna-Matic was one of three projects I worked on over the 10 day winter furlough/closure at the community college I work for. My last Eterna was an abject failure with a pinged shock spring and a launched pallet fork that is probably still gaining altitude over the Pacific so I was refreshed to have this one come together with only minor problems. I sourced this dark brown leather band and this watch will take it's place among my favorites.
20240108_203553.jpg

Satoman1

Reaction score
On my Mason Velvet-eez today
PXL_20240109_155041008.MV~2 (1).jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drizzly day in the PNW so it was time for the beater Imperials.
View attachment 2107619

This circa 1952 Eterna-Matic was one of three projects I worked on over the 10 day winter furlough/closure at the community college I work for. My last Eterna was an abject failure with a pinged shock spring and a launched pallet fork that is probably still gaining altitude over the Pacific so I was refreshed to have this one come together with only minor problems. I sourced this dark brown leather band and this watch will take it's place among my favorites.
View attachment 2107621

Those may be your "beater" pair but I love the color and texture. Classic style.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am declaring this “MacNeil Week”.

Today is the black shell edition. Not particularly vintage (1998? 2008?), but since the MacNeil has been discontinued, it is no longer readily available.

IMG_2675.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aldens with a bad case of loose grain today. The natural patina in the leather is great, but if you knock it anything the scuffs are bad. I enjoy wearing them nonetheless.
IMG_5421.jpeg
IMG_5422.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see we made the SF front page again and welcome to any new lurkers.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 11.09.12 AM.png

"They don't make them like that anymore." This saying is especially true when it comes to dress shoes that were made in the USA. In prior decades US had numerous dress shoe brands that included lines of excellent, classic and well built shoes. Nettleton, Hanover, Alden, Allen Edmonds, Florsheim's Royal Imperial, Johnson & Murphy bench made and crown aristocraft and others dominated the market from 1950 to 1990. Sadly, some of those names are gone and some still survive, but in a cheaper, off-shore form that are ghosts of their former quality. Their former creations, however, still survive and are part of many shoe collections.

Just because a shoe is old, does not mean that it worthy of collection. Sometimes, an old shoe is just a old shoe and it needs to hit the trashcan. Other times, that old shoe is a classic gem that still has much to offer and is highly desirable to many. This thread is designed to provide a place to share information to help forum members know which vintage shoes are desirable and which are simply old shoes. While it is fun to look at shoe Appreciation photos, it needs to also be a place for sharing methods for putting more life into a vintage style, how to maintain what you have and advice for problems.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE Fifth Street today…
IMG_5423.jpeg
IMG_5424.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance