• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What table/bench-setup do you use for shining your shoes?

Cerendigit

Reaction score
Hello,
First post here,

This is a weird question That I have been wondering about. Do you have a specific table or bench that you use when you have to shine your shoes? What does that look like? Does your setup work well when you have a lot of shoes to shine (i.e. is it comfortable, Does it have you a hunched over the shoes the whole time? does it ever cause back pain)

Thanks

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't polish my shoes very often. It happens about once every two or three years, and I only do one or two pairs at a time. Not all my shoes get polished, just certain ones.

About ten years ago, I bought this leather pad so I could have something to cover my lap. I think an old t-shirt would do the same thing.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually sit on my coffee table, turn on the TV/play some music or both(TV on mute and music playing), pour myself a drink(s) and maybe polish 4-5 in 1 shot.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to DWW, I clean my shoes and my wife's shoes about once every year or two*. Some of them get polished, some of them get conditioned, some of them get waterproofed, some get nothing more than a clean, and some just get looked at. I choose a nice day to do it, and I sit outside on the the edge of my deck with a mug of tea. Very occasionally I will clean and polish a particular pair if there is some specific reason.

*The ones I do have to do every year are the winter boots and shoes - if you don't get that salt washed off and the leather properly treated they will degrade badly. So that gets done at the end of every winter before I put them away.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After I bought my first pair of quality leather shoes, I was also mistakenly under the impression that one needed to polish their shoes more often than is necessary. It wasn't after every wear but probably once every month or two. Since then, my fervor has tempered and I only polish when necessary. That would usually be if I scuffed the shoe and I wanted to touch it up.

Polishing shoes is enjoyable and calming however it's not something worth obsessing over.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I too polish my shoes infrequently, but when I do, I do it like Reynolds: with a rag on my lap.
D5D0D1F1-CF0E-4776-8A2E-0F5AD7CA7F2E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member