• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would You Take Perfect Machine Made or Imperfect Handmade?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was recently talking with a friend about various tailoring operations around the world, how things are set up, and how clothes are produced. And I'm curious to hear people's opinions -- would you rather have a perfect suit that was machine-made or an imperfect suit that was handmade?

Let's take two extremes.

Let's say in the future, you can order the perfect suit off Amazon (using their current interface, presentation, photos, etc. Shopping for a suit would be like how you order books or Band-Aids). Let's say the suit was custom made according to your desires and specifications and it fits perfectly. Amazon can replicate any house style in the world -- Liverano, Anderson & Sheppard, Huntsman, etc. You choose stylistic options using various drop-down menus. The garment is 100% machine-made in a factory somewhere far away.

The other option is to have a suit made by a tailor who's working out of a workshop or sometimes even their home. The long seams are produced using a sewing machine, but everything is handmade. The tailor has a certain house style, which you like, but can't deviate too far from that. Additionally, there are minor imperfections. For the sake of this discussion, let's say they're incredibly minor -- a centimeter of fullness through the seat, which can be adjusted using an alterations tailor. Or you asked for a pen pocket inside the coat and didn't get one. You buy these garments by meeting the tailor.

In this case, which would you rather buy? Let's say the prices are exactly the same -- say $2,500 for a suit. That makes it painful enough that you'll be bummed if you don't get exactly what you want. Do you value the perfect suit, even if it's machine-made? Or do you prefer the slightly imperfect suit that was handmade?

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I would lean toward handmade mainly because clothing (or anything) can mean so much more than the end product. When you buy handmade, it's easy to imagine a skilled artisan working at a craft they've been honing for decades, carefully making something specifically for you. It's a relationship. The process is personal. The product becomes more than what it is.

When you buy something that is perfect but spit out by a machine, it lacks narrative. It's perfect but lacking.

That said, I've never had anything made specifically for me so maybe that's why I see the romance of the process.

apShepard

Reaction score
I would go for whichever style I would like more. But let's face it there is no way in hell man made stuff can be produced as cheaply as things in economies of scale. The Amazon stuff is probably going to be less than half in price than the man man. In which case I'm going to go with Amazon and pocket the rest.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this case, which would you rather buy? Let's say the prices are exactly the same

This is the bit that isn't realistic.

There are three reasons why such a thing would exist: choice (as you mention); the 'perfection'; and the price. And there is no way, in reality that they would be the same price. In fact the differential is likely to be even more as handmade would increase in price with rarity and machine-made would have an economy of scale. Also:

Hypothesis 1: Such as system would allow more people buy a really good suit who couldn't afford the current / handmade version, but this wouldn't make more people dress 'better' by CM standards, because they would get perfect versions of whatever was fashionable not what is considered 'classic'.

Hypothesis 2: People here might say they would always choose handmade, but many of them are posturing, or answering entirely hypothetically. A better questions would perhaps be: at what price difference would you choose the machine-made suit? Given a real choice, and the realistic difference in price, many would atually choose machine-made perfection.

Hypothesis 3: In the end, there is always going to be a market for handmade / artisinal, whatever the price, and it's going to be an elite / niche market.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is the bit that isn't realistic.

This convo came up because my friend and I were discussing two companies that are roughly the same price. One offers a fully machine-made garment that I think fits very well. The other offers a fully handmade garment with very slight imperfections (my trousers were actually a centimeter off in the seat -- that's why I gave that specific example. I'm getting them adjusted locally by an alterations tailor).

The exact example actually came up because I'm choosing between two companies. The only thing that's off in my scenario is that I'm not ordering off Amazon. I just wanted to take a more extreme view of this.

apShepard

Reaction score
I would add that the entire thing is an exercise in imagination. Amazon could probably if they wanted make 10000 liverano suits suits a day at £1k a piece but there first needs to be a demand for it. And we know how few people wear tailoring at all nevermind about the geeky aspects of bespoke.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would add that the entire thing is an exercise in imagination. Amazon could probably if they wanted make 10000 liverano suits suits a day at £1k a piece but there first needs to be a demand for it. And we know how few people wear tailoring at all nevermind about the geeky aspects of bespoke.

Yes, I've removed the names of the actual companies for various reasons. The choice exists today and I'm asking people to imagine what they would choose.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
Do you value the perfect suit, even if it's machine-made? Or do you prefer the slightly imperfect suit that was handmade?

I guess it depends on some things not in the scenario. The machine made suit will be perfect within the options available, but are there as many options available as with the handmade tailor? Do I like some style the machine can make more than I 'like' the handmade style?

If we're assuming the same price, and very nearly, but not quite, the same level of perfection, if everything else is also equal I guess I'd take the machine made suit because 1) it's probably easier to order, and 2) I don't have to pay to fix the slight imperfection, which still makes it a bit cheaper.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s an interesting scenario but we will learn probably nothing discussing this. Some have already stated they don’t even believe this to exist today, so unless you provide more info this will be just one long ass opinion….

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s an interesting scenario but we will learn probably nothing discussing this. Some have already stated they don’t even believe this to exist today, so unless you provide more info this will be just one long ass opinion….

I think all the relevant details are in the original post.

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You buy these garments by meeting the tailor.
There is the availability factor, not everyone has a good tailor at hand, and if you need to travel to meet one, that would be an added cost.

Many years ago I only used "my" tailor, who knew exactly what I wanted, but he is too old now and retired. Since then, I tried different tailors, with mostly bad luck. Even though I don't use suits anymore, In case of need, I would prefer to know that I will receive a perfect one after ordering online.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walton__Gavin