• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best all-around chinos?

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Maybe worth taking a flyer on something like this

Spier trousers are not a good fit for me personally, but they're good quality and the price is borderline ridiculous. Worth a go to see if they hit the mark for you.
Thanks, I'll look into those!

DG123

Reaction score
brand name of this chinos?

NINTCHDBPICT0004840706331.jpg

Mick !

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bit the bullet and decided to buy the Armoury chinos. But in sizes 46 and 48 and return the one that doesn't fit. However, I'm not sure if either fit and wanted to get some outside opinions. The first two photos are the size 46 and the second two the 48. The 46 seems to fit in the thighs and legs but is a little tight in the waist. The 48 is a bit too loose in the waist and also pretty big (dare I say billowy) in the thigh and legs. Based on the photos, does anyone have feedback? Or ideas on possible tailoring options? I feel like you guys have a better understanding of how clothing should fit than I do.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4,121
  • IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4,105

hysteria

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Asket Chino's?
The SM ones can be hit or miss. They have diff lines of Chino's - some of the fabrics are nice, others aren't. Fit is also awkward.

cedarlake23

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Asket Chino's?
The SM ones can be hit or miss. They have diff lines of Chino's - some of the fabrics are nice, others aren't. Fit is also awkward.
I have tried the Asket chinos and they aren't really for me. Fabric doesn't seem too nice and the fit was off for me (too low rise, had pocket flaring, etc.). I should do a follow-up post here, though, for the Armoury chinos. They are so nice. The price is painful, but they are hands down the best chinos I've owned.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Just found out that Brooks Brothers has discontinued their core Advantage chinos and now only have the lightweight variant (which they are passing off as the real stuff...dirty liars). I know recent Brooks Brothers isn't super popular here but these pants were a pretty cool marriage of dress chinos and workwear: the fabric was very beefy and wrinkle resistant, like workwear pants, but were soft to the touch and could hold a sharp crease, and in general the Clark fit is cut like proper dress chinos, which is great for my line of work, where I might have to be at a customer's scuzzy facility during the day and then be ready to wine and dine the director of manufacturing at night. The wrinkle resistance is also very helpful for my work-related travel.

I know this is sort of an unusual set of requirements, but does anyone have any idea who else might make something similar? I'm looking around and a lot of options are all made out of a flimsy material or are too much on the sloppy-casual side. I have a pretty ****** backside thighs to match, which oftentimes rules out the "nice" options like Sid Mashburn or Armoury. Thanks!

MattyS

Reaction score
I know this is sort of an unusual set of requirements, but does anyone have any idea who else might make something similar? I'm looking around and a lot of options are all made out of a flimsy material or are too much on the sloppy-casual side. I have a pretty ****** backside thighs to match, which oftentimes rules out the "nice" options like Sid Mashburn or Armoury. Thanks!
I think you will find these similar, and they come in a range of different styles.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Gustin khaki selvedge chinos are amazing. I’ve owned chinos in other fabrics from them but these are special due to the cloth which has a substantial feel yet softens up quickly and takes on your shape over time.

My beef with Gustin is mostly about their fits. They’ve offered the same three fits since their inception. I would love a higher rise and relaxed top block on their straight model in both their denim and chino styles. They seem to be content with what they offer.

I have a pair of the selvedge khaki, never worn, in size 32. I had to go up a size because I needed room up top. If you’re interested DM me. Check link below for specs.
Gustin Selvedge Chino

SteveMc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bit the bullet and decided to buy the Armoury chinos. But in sizes 46 and 48 and return the one that doesn't fit. However, I'm not sure if either fit and wanted to get some outside opinions. The first two photos are the size 46 and the second two the 48. The 46 seems to fit in the thighs and legs but is a little tight in the waist. The 48 is a bit too loose in the waist and also pretty big (dare I say billowy) in the thigh and legs. Based on the photos, does anyone have feedback? Or ideas on possible tailoring options? I feel like you guys have a better understanding of how clothing should fit than I do.

Thanks!

Hard to tell the fit from this top-down angle, but if it is just a matter of being a little tight in the waist, then the waist can be let out easily.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!
If you throw them in the washer then dryer, they shrink enough to maybe fix the loose areas. I'd go 48. It doesn't look that loose anyways.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I think you will find these similar, and they come in a range of different styles.

Thanks! I had seen them before out of the corner of my eye at Nordstrom but for some reason assumed they were some sort of of store brand. Didn't realize they were a serious pants company. Just shot their CS an email asking about sizing; fingers crossed that these work!

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry to completely miss the rest of this! But I do think these are the best chinos I've owned in terms of materials, construction, and fit. I now own three pairs and hope to get more. I just wish they were less expensive :(

If someone is looking for something similar for cheaper, I do think getting a pair of Bill's khakis original twill in their M2 fit and getting them tailored should be similar, if not even a slightly higher rise, which I think is a good thing.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

rjc149

Reaction score
I'm quite happy with the S&M chinos. I was on a chino quest myself late last year, as my office dress code has relaxed and Friday's have now become de facto business casual (it used to be only in summer).

I went through Banana Republic and Bonobos, finding them a little too slim and never impressed with the fabric (Bonobos fabric in particular is very thin -- and sizing QC is just an absolute shitshow).

I decided I didn't want a very modern slim fit anymore, and I didn't want a stretch chino in the interests of garment longevity. I was looking into Jack Donnelly but $150 for a pair of chinos that needed hemming, and lack of color options, were the major deterrents from pulling the trigger.

S&M is usually a contender when I'm looking for new clothing. I read a lot of S&M chino reviews which weren't glowing -- most citing the strange fit. I bought a pair from their newer line, after reading they've updated the fit in response to criticism. I decided to roll the dice and I ordered a pair in 32 x 30, slim fit.

Right off the bat I could tell the fabric was obviously superior to the BR and Bonobos chinos. It was just heavier and softer. The pants appeared to be solidly constructed, with a good heavy-duty fly zipper. They came unhemmed and untapered. I washed them to get the shrinkage out, then had my tailor hem them to 29 inches and taper them down to a 7.25 inch opening. They fit me quite well.

I then ordered 2 more pairs. For the time being, they're my go-to chinos. $58 for the pants, plus $35 for the alterations, all in at $93 which is comparable to Bonobos, but much better IMO. My only gripe is the pockets -- they're angled in a way that causes my phone and wallet to protrude outward at an angle, but that can be fixed with a pocket repair.

If your budget is around $100 per pair, I would look into S&M. Just be prepared to have them altered to fit properly.

cedarlake23

Reaction score
They do look great! Which size did you end up selecting? 46 or 48? Any alterations?
Thanks, I ended up with the 46! The only alteration was hemming. I'm pretty active, so I have larger thighs and seat and to be honest they are slightly constricting when I sit down and I've noticed that I have a lot of creasing in the uppers when I stand up. I know they're cotton so there should be some creasing, but compared to their advertisements for the chinos, mine look more intense. They're still super nice and aren't really skinny - so they feel nice and sport coats can be worn with them while maintaining a silhouette. If their slim fit ends up bothering me I might see if they can be widened through the thigh (not sure if this is possible with cotton chinos). For future ones, I might just size up and get the waist taken in. Does anyone know if the Armoury offers complimentary tailoring on their products? I seem to recall when I tried on a suit at their NY store they mentioned they have an in-house tailor, but idk if that was free with purchase or not.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuaweleye