• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that Covid killed

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of shocked that Neiman Marcus hasn't died yet. They've been hanging by a thread for years even before Covid.

I know Gieves and Hawkes went into liquidation but don't know if they've shut down permanently yet. Kilgour shut down it's location on SR.

jack webb

Reaction score
FWIW, Jack Welch set GE on the path to destruction.
Welch got an absurd retirement package that included a NYC apartment, fresh flowers delivered daily, use of a corporate jet, and other benefits his $417 million payout couldn't possibly be expected to cover. At some point this became controversial, and in a WSJ op-ed he claimed he would spurn some of the largesse because it seemed like the right thing to do. Of course looting the company seemed just fine prior to the bad publicity.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welch was also a ****** executive who only managed to do so well due to accounting tricks and taking advantage of a US boom. His actual management principles fucked over a lot of other companies when they were applied to other places.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would have been cool if he were the CEO of Welch's, the juice company, and looted them, fulfilling his name Jack Welch.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's difficult to (buy and) use Tom Ford fragrances when you have no sense of smell. My anosmia preceded COVID19 by a couple a years, I blame catching a cold from a little girl sneezing and coughing a couple of rows in front of me during a flight. I have a reasonable collection including the big bottles, but haven't used them for years. I might go back to them later - I have some slight recovery enough for really noxious aromas but not enough to appreciate the fragrances, however right now I wear scrubs to and from work, and I think it's silly to wear fragrances with srubs. But that's just me. 🤷‍♂️

djohns7275

Reaction score
FWIW, Jack Welch set GE on the path to destruction.
Check the share price of when he took over and when he left . Just because G E was mismanaged after Jack Welch doesn't me he set them on that path . Everybody has an opinion . You say he set them on a path to destruction i say he didn't . Warren Buffet and Bill Gated both stated that they admired Welch. In regard to other comments about the size of his payoff . It's small potatoes compared to the value he added to the company . After Welch left G E the mere mention that he might join a company as a board member sent the price of that companies shares upward . So I guess the market liked him as well.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the share price of when he took over and when he left . Just because G E was mismanaged after Jack Welch doesn't me he set them on that path . Everybody has an opinion . You say he set them on a path to destruction i say he didn't . Warren Buffet and Bill Gated both stated that they admired Welch. In regard to other comments about the size of his payoff . It's small potatoes compared to the value he added to the company . After Welch left G E the mere mention that he might join a company as a board member sent the price of that companies shares upward . So I guess the market liked him as well.
Of course the share price went up when he was there because he was playing accounting tricks. Once the tricks ran out under his successor the stock tanked.

djohns7275

Reaction score
Of course the share price went up when he was there because he was playing accounting tricks. Once the tricks ran out under his successor the stock tanked.
Are you honestly trying to tell me that all the extra value Welch added was accounting trickery ? Welch used the same type of accounts that all the other leading companies in the world use and he used the same kind of accounting trickery that every other CEO uses .

If you really want to know why GE became so valuable and then crashed under Imelt's reign it's not that difficult to figure out . When Welch took over GE they made things . What many people don't realize is that when Welch left GE 80% of their profits cam from GE capital . GE was really a credit broker . It's that simple . Then the crash came and it was not a good time to be lending money . So what Welch did was very simple, during his reign there was a huge boom in debt . So he turned GE into a giant credit broker . So he did what Wayne Gretsky advises he skated to where the the puck was going not where it is . There was a boom in credit .G E got into the credit business . It was that simple . Whether Welch would have foreseen the crash I doubt and how he would navigated the problems that GE ran into nobody will ever know .

So don't believe all this nonsense about cooked books . Welch ran GE for a long time under his tenure it became the worlds largest company . Can you imagine the scrutiny the numbers were under . I've read all the stuff that eulogizes about Welch as well as the stuff that criticizes him . Then truth is more nuanced than A he cooked the books or B he was the greatest CEO ever . The truth is he turned GE into the worlds most valuable company by turning it into a finance broker . As I said 80% of GE's profits came from GE capital .That's the real hidden story .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads