• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just when I thought the weather was changing to Spring, it got cold again. eBayed vintage J. Press sport coat.

View attachment 2174017
Just when I thought the weather was changing to Spring, it got cold again. eBayed vintage J. Press sport coat.

View attachment 2174017
Beautiful plaid. Do you know when the jacket was made because the shoulders look
built-up for an Ivy model? In the early 2000s, If I remember correctly, JP veered from
the pure natural shoulder, for which it was widely criticized. I recall trying on a jacket
in their NYC store and finding the shoulders quite padded and the fabric stiff. I understand that JP has returned to its roots since.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful plaid. Do you know when the jacket was made because the shoulders look
built-up for an Ivy model? In the early 2000s, If I remember correctly, JP veered from
the pure natural shoulder, for which it was widely criticized. I recall trying on a jacket
in their NYC store and finding the shoulders quite padded and the fabric stiff. I understand that JP has returned to its roots since.
I loved the plaid too, which is why I got it. There is definitely padding in the shoulder. I'll do some research.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spring Break is here. Breaking out some colors. The outdoor shots give a better impression of the jacket color.

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

BlackClayHalo

Reaction score
Hi all. New poster here and first time post. Please be brutal. I enjoy dressing formally, but sometimes feel that I can’t be objective.

Here I’m wearing brown tassel loafers by Charles Jourdan, grey high rise trousers by Spier & Mackay, white TM Lewin Shirt, Shibumi Firenze tie and Navy DB jacket.

I think in the photos the trousers have fallen slightly at the waistline but other than that please let me know what I can do to improve the fit.

Looking forward to being here and contributing.

Attachments

• IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4444.jpeg
    IMG_4444.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4449.jpeg
    IMG_4449.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4456.jpeg
    IMG_4456.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4461.jpeg
    IMG_4461.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 82

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean if we’re picking nits (it is SF after all) your left sleeve looks perfect, right sleeve could use maybe 1cm (hard to tell exactly without seeing IRL) but overall, looks good.
I think my watch was holding the left sleeve in place better. The right is closer to reality. I think .25-.50 in sleeve lengthening or so would be ideal just to cover my basis for less than ideal shirts.

paxonus

Reaction score
Hi all. New poster here and first time post. Please be brutal. I enjoy dressing formally, but sometimes feel that I can’t be objective.

Here I’m wearing brown tassel loafers by Charles Jourdan, grey high rise trousers by Spier & Mackay, white TM Lewin Shirt, Shibumi Firenze tie and Navy DB jacket.

I think in the photos the trousers have fallen slightly at the waistline but other than that please let me know what I can do to improve the fit.

Looking forward to being here and contributing.
You would be much better served by a looser fit. The jacket is too tight across the waist. The trousers are too tight from the hips all the way down. Focus on the side view photo. Your profile looks like this:
/.\
/....\
\..../
\./
For a classic look aim to make it look more like this:
| |
| |
| |
| |

Last edited:

BlackClayHalo

Reaction score
You would be much better served by a looser fit. The jacket is too tight across the waist. The trousers are too tight from the hips all the way down. Focus on the side view photo. Your profile looks like this:
/.\
/....\
\..../
\./
For a classic look aim to make it look more like this:
| |
| |
| |
| |
Thank you. Appreciate that. Probably need to lose some weight then but I think you’ve told me what I subconsciously knew - disappointed about the trousers - they are a real up grade quality wise for my wardrobe but maybe need to look at S&M contemporary as these are slim fit.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
maybe need to look at S&M contemporary as these are slim fit.
I figured this out as well (through some input from this forum) - much happier now with the perfect fit of contemporary, and continue to buy S&M contemporary trousers today.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again at the place where many adventures begin, the Los Angeles Metro E Line Expo/Bundy station. Was on the way to a Coburn Chamber Orchestra concert downtown at Zipper Hall.

As I said, Los Angeles Metro trips are always an adventure.

IMG_7262.jpeg

Brooks Brothers jacket, OCBD shirt, tie, sweater vest, and pocket square, Polo Ralph Lauren trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

At the concert.

IMG_7270.jpeg

Extra added attraction, a mobile in the lobby of Zipper Hall.

IMG_7272.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction Part Deux. Have never understood why people post bathroom mirror selfies. If you are going to post bathroom mirror selfies, at least add some challenges to taking the picture, like taking a mirror selfie in a bathroom on a train.

Here's a picture from last Monday.

IMG_7245.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads