• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swimming trunks

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Could you not pick something up when you arrive?

My in-her-fifties wife picked up some swimwear & in Italy the last time we were there. She’s been quite pleased with it. I assume one could get something that would work for a man in his fifties without looking too hard.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Been wearing Etro for ages, some have a Velcro back pocket that’s pretty secure and a coin pouch in the right front pocket that’s big enough to hold your room key and ID, and they usually come in a somewhat water repellent paisley printed pouch which can be utitilized to hold a few small gadgets when going to the beach and pool

Vilebrequin also exists

jamie411

Reaction score
The past few years I’ve been mostly using Abercrombie & Fitch’s Resort Short - it’s a lined swimsuit that looks like shorts, similar to Orlebar Brown (without the side tabs). Good fit, stylish and functional without being too flashy. They used to offer more basic colors compared to what’s available now, but I think the olive seersucker looks nice…
Olive resort short

I haven’t tried their regular trunk style swimsuit, so can’t comment.

I know A&F is available in the UK.

Vizard

Reaction score
The past few years I’ve been mostly using Abercrombie & Fitch’s Resort Short - it’s a lined swimsuit that looks like shorts, similar to Orlebar Brown (without the side tabs). Good fit, stylish and functional without being too flashy. They used to offer more basic colors compared to what’s available now, but I think the olive seersucker looks nice…
Olive resort short

I haven’t tried their regular trunk style swimsuit, so can’t comment.

I know A&F is available in the UK.

I quite like the brown ones. They seem very good value too.

The Sunspot ones arrive today, I may buy some AF ones to compare and contrast.

L.deJong

Reaction score
Another question, I'm kinda hijacking this topic, but I'm struggling to find swimshorts with a high-rise (say around 12in/31cm front rise), I always wear high-rise shorts and trousers.
So when I don my swimshorts I have an ugly 'white' skin band above my waistband. It's an absolutele sight to behold! But not one I enjoy, especially since that white skin is also very much sunburned at the end of the day.
Now did I look at Drakes, but it's still 5cm too short, and same for almost all brands. So maybe, just maybe there are more members that enjoy higher waisted swimshorts? I hope so because this search of mine is almost like searching for a needle in a haystack. Oh dear members help this poor fellow out:)

Vizard

Reaction score
Well that didn't exactly go swimmingly.

I ordered the Sunspel in Medium, because their size guide said I was a medium. I am apparently a Large, the same as I am in almost every other brand of clothing. It was like I was trying to pull on a pair of my wife's knickers.... erm what I imagine that would be like obviously... because I have never done it... okay!

Quality-wise they look alright and they have a colour-matched carry bag. Ok enough for the price? Not sure.

Might get some AF to try.

Vizard

Reaction score
Abercrombie now ordered. Size L. I am cornering the market in trunks guys, some of you will be swimming commando this season.

Vizard

Reaction score
Abercrombie now arrived and... disappointment.

The cloth is nice, quality seems fine. But they hang low at the front. Now there's a good reason why my swimwear might do that, if ya get me. But having to hoist up ones trunks repeatedly isn't a good look.

So far the (relatively) cheap Intimissimi ones are the best.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Another question, I'm kinda hijacking this topic, but I'm struggling to find swimshorts with a high-rise (say around 12in/31cm front rise), I always wear high-rise shorts and trousers.
So when I don my swimshorts I have an ugly 'white' skin band above my waistband. It's an absolutele sight to behold! But not one I enjoy, especially since that white skin is also very much sunburned at the end of the day.
Now did I look at Drakes, but it's still 5cm too short, and same for almost all brands. So maybe, just maybe there are more members that enjoy higher waisted swimshorts? I hope so because this search of mine is almost like searching for a needle in a haystack. Oh dear members help this poor fellow out:)

Patagonia baggies have that high 12-13" rise. I would be careful about leg opening and inseam, and if possible size down to avoid a skirt-like flare (unless you are into that look of course)

But in a general comment, I don't get the whole obsession over "sartorial" swim trunks. I think some are over-thinking what's supposed to be a cheap item, swim shorts

L.deJong

Reaction score
Patagonia baggies have that high 12-13" rise. I would be careful about leg opening and inseam, and if possible size down to avoid a skirt-like flare (unless you are into that look of course)

But in a general comment, I don't get the whole obsession over "sartorial" swim trunks. I think some are over-thinking what's supposed to be a cheap item, swim shorts
Very true, I don't understand the pricing neither. 200+ for polyester swim shorts is beyond me.
Thank for the tip!

acconrad

Reaction score
100% agree here. I have basically Patagonia baggies and Soffe running panties and funny enough the Soffes look like those short (expensive) Italian swim trunks that people obsess over. I really don't see why you would throw away the money on a pair of Orlebar Browns - and I've worn a pair I got deeply discounted on Grailed and they weren't worth the hype (certainly not at retail)

Vizard

Reaction score
I was in London today so called into Orlebar Brown. I am not in bad shape for my age but my gosh I looked a mess in their swimwear. I am sure all OBs customers have single digit body fat but I am unlikely to get back to being skinny enough to look good in it.

On the basis that I am now running out of time I think I may stick with Intimissimi.

L.deJong

Reaction score
I was in London today so called into Orlebar Brown. I am not in bad shape for my age but my gosh I looked a mess in their swimwear. I am sure all OBs customers have single digit body fat but I am unlikely to get back to being skinny enough to look good in it.

On the basis that I am now running out of time I think I may stick with Intimissimi.
I bought Patagonia baggies as well, maybe try them out?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinuavi