• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Blog Marley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm building out my black tie collection: black and midnight tuxedos plus a dinner jacket and would appreciate some help on the last few pieces. I appreciate the help.

For shoes I'm thinking of a pair of patent opera pumps and a pair of plain black toe Oxfords. For the shoes I'm in between cordovan Aldens and C&J's Wembely. It seems like cordovan is doable but not a popular choice. My preference is to keep the shoes under $900. I'd prefer to try on in person, I'm in NYC.

For ties I have a midnight navy tie and was going to pick up a black one. Do I need another? It seems like the forum frowns upon pre-tied ties but for some reason I like the look of Tom Ford's velvet ties I guess it falls into the wear what you like category but I'm curious about the rules and traditions here.

For braces it sounds like Albert Thurston is the beginning and end for braces? I'm leaning towards black here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple questions.

How many events per year are you wearing black tie?

You’re putting together a midnight rig and black rig, plus a separate dinner jacket to mix and match? So three jackets, two trousers?

For shoes, a pump and an oxford should cover you. If you’re adding another shoe maybe a Belgian loafer in black suede or black velvet.

For ties, above a black and a midnight, you don’t really need another (again, how many events a year?). But if you did get another, black velvet sounds good (tie your self, not pre tied)

Braces, yes, black…. Thurston is the way to go.

Last edited:

MattyS

Reaction score
Sounds weird but I have had grosgrain silk where the braids have been cut from the same silks.

Alternatively, you can buy grosgrain braids or OFB (my preference) from the lining company.

I have several pairs of trousers with a grosgrain stripe down the outside of the trouser leg. None of them have any issues, as far as I can tell. There is nothing visibly wrong, which equates to nothing wrong, in my mind.

Find a different tailor.

The tailor who made my tuxedo had similar concerns and, additionally, wasn’t sure if the ribbing should be horizontal or diagonal. In spite of their recommendation to not use grosgrain, I asked them to do their best and it worked out just fine. No issues that I can see.
Thanks to all three of you. I asked the tailor for some more details, and they said that their concern has to do with the thickness of the grosgrain that's available to them. They suggested that it's thicker than normal, which is why they don't recommended it for trousers or cummerbunds.

I'm in the UAE, where there are not as many tailoring or fabric options as elsewhere. This is certainly one of the best tailors -- perhaps the best -- in the country. They have made a number of beautiful and perfectly fitting suits and jackets and suits for me. So, I suspect that they have at least some idea of what they're talking about. I'm tempted to ask them try the grosgrain and see what happens.

Last question. When you do opt for grosgrain, what direction do the stripes run: horizontally, vertically, or diagonally?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horizantally but I prefer OFB braid with grosgrain lapels over grosgrain stripes for the trousers. The only time I match the stripe to the lapel is if I have it faced with satin.

Blog Marley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Answers inline.
I’ve got a couple questions.

How many events per year are you wearing black tie?
2-4 now but could increase in the future.
You’re putting together a midnight rig and black rig, plus a separate dinner jacket to mix and match? So three jackets, two trousers?
Correct
For shoes, a pump and an oxford should cover you. If you’re adding another shoe maybe a Belgian loafer in black suede or black velvet.

For ties, above a black and a midnight, you don’t really need another (again, how many events a year?). But if you did get another, black velvet sounds good (tie your self, not pre tied)
I'll probably stick with the black and midnight navy for now. If the number of events increases I'll look for a black velvet. I haven't found many self-tying options during a quick search.
Braces, yes, black…. Thurston is the way to go.

MattyS

Reaction score
Horizantally but I prefer OFB braid with grosgrain lapels over grosgrain stripes for the trousers. The only time I match the stripe to the lapel is if I have it faced with satin.
Could you please explain what OFB braid is? I'm not familiar with the term.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you please explain what OFB braid is? I'm not familiar with the term.

3713_1.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm building out my black tie collection: black and midnight tuxedos plus a dinner jacket and would appreciate some help on the last few pieces. I appreciate the help.

IMHO, I think a black tuxedo and midnight tuxedo both tick off the same formal box and are a bit too similar to need both versions.

If I had 2-4 black tie events a year to go to (assuming throughout the year), I'd do the following:

a DB shawl ivory DJ (self facing)
a SB shawl bottle green velvet DJ (self facing)
black trousers
a 3-piece SB peak midnight tuxedo
midnight cumberbund
black cumberbund

this would tick off hot weather, cold weather, formal and informal. The vest and cumberbund would allow you to add some versatility to your formal tuxedo rig.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMHO, I think a black tuxedo and midnight tuxedo both tick off the same formal box and are a bit too similar to need both versions.

If I had 2-4 black tie events a year to go to (assuming throughout the year), I'd do the following:

black trousers
midnight cumberbund
black cumberbund

this would tick off hot weather, cold weather, formal and informal. The vest and cumberbund would allow you to add some versatility to your formal tuxedo rig.

My own setup is very similar to this:

a SB peak ivory DJ (self facing)
a SB shawl Black Watch DJ (silk facing and turn back cuffs)
black trousers
Patterned cumberbund
black cumberbund

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how bottle green velvet caught on as such a "must have" piece of formalwear. I hate it.

Entirely subjective, of course, but it isn't remotely for me.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

black trousers
midnight cumberbund
black cumberbund

My own setup is very similar to this:

a SB peak ivory DJ (self facing)
a SB shawl Black Watch DJ (silk facing and turn back cuffs)
black trousers
Patterned cumberbund
black cumberbund

I have no idea how bottle green velvet caught on as such a "must have" piece of formalwear. I hate it.

Entirely subjective, of course, but it isn't remotely for me.

I am with you on the green velvet. If I had the need (multiple events during the year) and was adding to existing black tie wear (Midnight DB shawl two piece, and separate Ivory SB shawl odd dinner jacket) I'd likely add a blackwatch or similar odd dinner jacket vice a green velvet (maybe I'd do black velvet??)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads