• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

North Sea Clothing

jivyivy

Reaction score
I just picked this Expedition sweater up on eBay and it looks to be the original MK1, which I've long been after.

The only thing is that I'm not really digging the nickle Indian head button on the shawl. The North Sea website indicates that brass anchor buttons are featured on this sweater, so I'm wondering where this came from. Can anyone shed some light on this; was it some retail collab or special/limited issue? I'm hoping that the fit hasn't been "updated".

Here's a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262180558897

Last question - I'm a size 38R sport coat and purchased the above in the same size. I like a bit of drape and billow and don't go for the contemporary tapered look. I was initially looking forward to layering this over a button down, but judging from some of the other pics I've come across within this thread, that seems like a bit of a stretch. Are these sweaters really a form hugging fit and is there any chance of layering over a button down or would it make little difference due to the tightness of the shawl collar; ie. button down would not show?

Thanks for your feedback.

nmoore82

Reaction score

I just picked this Expedition sweater up on eBay and it looks to be the original MK1, which I've long been after.

The only thing is that I'm not really digging the nickle Indian head button on the shawl. The North Sea website indicates that brass anchor buttons are featured on this sweater, so I'm wondering where this came from. Can anyone shed some light on this; was it some retail collab or special/limited issue? I'm hoping that the fit hasn't been "updated".

Here's a link to the listing: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262180558897

Last question - I'm a size 38R sport coat and purchased the above in the same size. I like a bit of drape and billow and don't go for the contemporary tapered look. I was initially looking forward to layering this over a button down, but judging from some of the other pics I've come across within this thread, that seems like a bit of a stretch. Are these sweaters really a form hugging fit and is there any chance of layering over a button down or would it make little difference due to the tightness of the shawl collar; ie. button down would not show?

Thanks for your feedback.

Not sure about the button. I would hazard a guess that the seller on eBay changed it to the Indian Head design.
I have an expedition jumper in a size 40 that I bought direct from NSC (measures 20" from pit to pit). Isn't figure hugging at all and can easily be layered over something

jivyivy

Reaction score
Thanks very much, that's reassuring!

I may pick up an old cognac colored leather football button to replace the Indian head nickle.

xdawes23

Reaction score
Has anyone tried shrinking a NSC Item? I just got the Marine (in navy), but because of the way it drapes, the fit is larger on me than I would like. Seeing how loose the knit is, however, I am tempted to shrink it. The flip side is, if I dont like it shrunk I just decreased the resale since it is currently BNWT. What do you guys think I should do?

Ill post a fit in a few hours when I get home.
I have the same problem - the fit is too big on me. I would suggest that you don't shrink it at all.

Shameless plug: I have a new Navy Mariner in size 38 for sale if anyone is interested. http://www.styleforum.net/t/514802/north-sea-clothing-the-mariner-shawl-sweater-sz-38/0_100

geremy

Reaction score
So is the consensus that the fit is overall loose? The measurements I've seen imply that they are slim fitting. I am in between a size 40 and 42 and am looking to purchase a Diver sweater, wondering which I should go with. Normally I would take the 42 (L) but if it's going to be super loose I'd rather get the 40 (M).

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So is the consensus that the fit is overall loose?  The measurements I've seen imply that they are slim fitting.  I am in between a size 40 and 42 and am looking to purchase a Diver sweater, wondering which I should go with.  Normally I would take the 42 (L) but if it's going to be super loose I'd rather get the 40 (M).

I have the Submariner in 40 (I'm about a 41'' chest and an M in most knits, like John Smedley) and the fit is pretty good. I might have gotten away with sizing down to a 38, but for this kind of bulky knit you're not really aiming for a super streamlined fit anyway. Note that they (at least the Submariner) are pretty long. So much so, that I sometimes fold up the lower rib edge, just like with the rib cuffs.

Quality is great, can't imagine that I'll ever wear it out.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just discovered this brand. The submariner in grey looks lovely. However, really wish the service roll neck was available in a crewneck.

tdiddy23

Reaction score
Quick question about North Sea Clothing submariner (actually called a Victory in my model http://www.northseaclothing.bigcartel.com/product/victory-roll-neck ). Tried one on today, a 44". Body was fine, ideally 46" would be a bit better.

However I'm a bit curious about the length. With the extra long ribbing at the waist, how long should this sweater be?

I'm quite tall and always self-conscious about wearing things too short. Wasn't sure if the upper end of the ribbing being above waist (lower was mid-1/4 down fly) is a no go or whether I was just over analysing... anyway went with my gut and left it. I could order the 48"/50" online above (with a nice sale), be a big baggy, but get an extra 1"/1.5" of length. Anyone know of another brand of similar quality with twisted white/navy or white/black that might be a bit longer?

cheers

star656

Reaction score
Just picked up a NSC Expedition sweater in Navy from Grailed and I love it. Very comfortable, fits great. Little bit of piling but that's to be expected with use. However, I am having trouble identifying whether it is a Mark 1 or Mark 2 expedition sweater. I am planning on ordering a new one in gray from NSC directly at some point, but wanted to get the same sweater. Any tips? The tag collar just says Expedition and the original purchaser said he bought it in 2014, so I'm guessing it is the Mk1.

cellardoors

Reaction score
Can we revisit the Silvermans - Outdoor Knitwear - NSC divison? Can I get an Outdoor Knitwear and expect that its similarly quality, soft good wool, and so on? Thank you.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we revisit the Silvermans - Outdoor Knitwear - NSC divison? Can I get an Outdoor Knitwear and expect that its similarly quality, soft good wool, and so on? Thank you.
I've got an outdoor knitwear submariner and other than it being a bit over-sized I'm happy with the quality. I don't own any NSC to compare though.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! And do you find it itchy (or scratchy :))?

I don't have overly sensitive skin, but whilst it's not merino soft it's softer than some Shetland's I've got, and much softer than my Saint James Matelot.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flexosaminede