• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Can confirm that half up-front is required now. Was looking to have some essex engineers made.

Interestingly, the wait is "only" until August 2022. The Underdogs that I put in for earlier this year aren't due til Oct. 2023. Are there different lists for different boot models?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can confirm that half up-front is required now. Was looking to have some essex engineers made.

Interestingly, the wait is "only" until August 2022. The Underdogs that I put in for earlier this year aren't due til Oct. 2023. Are there different lists for different boot models?
I’d be curious to know as well, but it seems odd unless he makes certain models in small batches. My engineers should be this time next year and that deposit was done in 2020. My underdogs deposit was made in fall 2019, supposed to be done March 21, and still no word as to when they’ll be complete other than “soon”.

lol_12345

Reaction score

yeah seems a bit odd. when i placed my order for some underdogs a couple months ago, he told me august 2023 if i put the full amount down now but jan 2024 if i choose to put only half down. curious to know if your quoted estimate for oct 2023 was for the full amount?

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
yeah seems a bit odd. when i placed my order for some underdogs a couple months ago, he told me august 2023 if i put the full amount down now but jan 2024 if i choose to put only half down. curious to know if your quoted estimate for oct 2023 was for the full amount?

He gave me the estimate before I put anything down but I've only put down the deposit.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He might be batching them up and have one group planned for that timeframe. I have seen pics on his IG doing that.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like difference between 2 to 2.5 years would hardly be noticeable. To me, that’s not much of an incentive. I mean after a couple months I forgot about my lace to toes 2 order ?

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
My Flat Head engineers are done ??

20D6C1E4-13D3-4A9C-91A7-65CF479139A4.jpeg

Last edited:

Fear and Loathing

Reaction score
I dunno. If people wanna wait 6 months for a resole or X amount of years for a new pair of boots, more power to them. Whatever makes you happy, I say.

That said, the boots don’t look superior to my eye than some other similarly-priced options that can be had far quicker and with a lot less hassle… and I’ve heard statements to that effect from storied makers who I respect.

To put it plainly, I think Brian is hype.

Now, to be clear, that doesn’t detract from his talent and product, nor does he stand alone in that respect… this whole industry is mired in hype. Absolutely inundated with hype. Gagging on hype. Every trending maker, every limited release… rinse and repeat. So I guess it boils down to basic cost/benefit analysis… just how much hype and resultant hassle are you prepared to stomach for a particular pair of boots?

Clearly, many can stomach the bucketfuls of hype-hassle required to own a pair of Role Clubs or have Brian resole a pair of boots. For me, it’s a few gallons beyond my limit. But again, absolutely no disrespect to those who lean the other way. They are definitely beautiful boots.

Last edited:

lol_12345

Reaction score
My turn on the waitlist if finally coming up soon. Anyone know what leather options Brian offers at this point? (I know there are some listed on his site but dunno how up to date it is)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any updates from RC boot owners?
I just recently received my underdogs last month. They were almost a year late based off the original quoted time. I recently was corresponding with him about my second order which are engineers and I confirmed the details with him. They're supposed to be delivered this summer, but I won't hold my breath. It'd be a nice surprise if they showed up on time, or not nearly as late.

I dunno. If people wanna wait 6 months for a resole or X amount of years for a new pair of boots, more power to them. Whatever makes you happy, I say.

That said, the boots don’t look superior to my eye than some other similarly-priced options that can be had far quicker and with a lot less hassle… and I’ve heard statements to that effect from storied makers who I respect.

To put it plainly, I think Brian is hype.

Now, to be clear, that doesn’t detract from his talent and product, nor does he stand alone in that respect… this whole industry is mired in hype. Absolutely inundated with hype. Gagging on hype. Every trending maker, every limited release… rinse and repeat. So I guess it boils down to basic cost/benefit analysis… just how much hype and resultant hassle are you prepared to stomach for a particular pair of boots?

Clearly, many can stomach the bucketfuls of hype-hassle required to own a pair of Role Clubs or have Brian resole a pair of boots. For me, it’s a few gallons beyond my limit. But again, absolutely no disrespect to those who lean the other way. They are definitely beautiful boots.

I largely agree with you, and if I hadn't made my deposits a few years ago I wouldn't bother getting on his list now. I'm not sure I agree about hype cause if anything its other people hyping him from what I've seen. He's still just one guy making boots by himself. Lots of smaller brands, wether from Japan, Indonesia,etc have all been getting more and more hype cause of IG denim and heritage bros/influencers shilling everything. I just avoid any of that kind of fodder altogether. My White Klouds are still the best made boots I have and are far superior to anything else I own. Just way more difficult to get with an equally long wait.

The only real advantage I'd say with Brian is getting fit by him as the fit on my boots is very very good versus something RTW. I agree though, theres a lot of amazing footwear that is more readily available provided you can get the right fit. All that said, I consider myself a collector and Role Clubs were simply just pairs I wanted to add and didn't mind waiting for.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a quote from Brian. The RC-M42 boots are now $1780 with a required deposit of $1000. Re-soles start at $240
*insert clever saying about supply, demand, and charging what the market will bear*

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CutGlassAce