• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange Excel File Issue

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't know where to put this, but maybe somebody can help me out. I have this excel file that has a lot of tabs, but there isn't much in them that should be causing the types of problems I am having. It is slow as dogshit to open or do anything in and the file is sized at a massive 246,000 KB. There are a few charts on each of the tabs, but it doesn't seem that unusual. I don't understand why it is taking up so much processing power. Is there any kind of troubleshooting, or perhaps background stuff that could be clogging up the file that I don't know about? I'm not all that savvy when it comes to these kinds of things. Thanks a bunch.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Odds are it's recording data in blank cells. Highlight the first empty row, control + shift + down arrow to select them all the way to row 1,048,576. Alt E + D to delete.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Recording data in blank cells? FWIW, I copied and pasted values so there aren't even any formulas in it. I figured this would solve the issue, but it hasn't.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i don't know the best way to put it, but just control-delete every row and column that isn't being used to hold data, and then click save.

the other thing to do is check to see if any of the charts are linked to another excel, and if that excel is big and overstuffed (v-lookups will do this).

either one of these solves my slow file issues 98% of the time.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had one tab that was linked to an external excel file temporarily. I figured this was the issue and most likely remains the issue, but I deleted that tab so there isn't any linking going on at all, just pasted values and charts. I fear for my computer's life when I hit save because it takes up so many resources to do anything to it. I fear I will have to recreate the workbook, but that's a ton of work, obviously.

I just deleted all of the blank row information under where the data ends in each tab. That did nothing. Will do the columns now and see how it goes.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
do the delete thing on every single worksheet. there's one that can be the problem child. And I mean delete the rows/columns, not delete cell contents.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I deleted all empty cell data. No change. Hidden workbooks? I made the damn thing, I don't recall hiding anything... I think I am doomed to recreate this thing.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
see instructions in post #2. I only know the keyboard shortcut, but I think there's a delete button on the main "home" bar, and you can also right click and delete (highlight every single row/column)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cells just repopulate. I think there is only a "hide" cells way of removing them. I actually never heard of the Alt D+E Do you mean control?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
waht do you mean repopulate? Yes, there's still cells there, but you're deleting any formats and any other size stealing issues that can happen. A border on a single cell that is accidentally copied down the entire length of column A will bring a file from 9 kb to 6,000 kb. When I highlight on a given row and select every row from there and below then do a "delete row", the file shrinks right back down again.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

The cells just repopulate. I think there is only a "hide" cells way of removing them. I actually never heard of the Alt D+E Do you mean control?

Alt E + D is simply the key command for row/column delete (not contents delete)

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
What kind of formulas are you using on the workbook? Anything exotic or any macros/scripts? Vlookup can be a culprit, but maybe you have a wonky arrayformula that's chewing up your speed.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hawaiianshirt