• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surprise me with secrets about your jobs or past companies

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Short answer? Poor and at-risk people get their child care partially or fully paid for by the government. In theory. Getting a center is easy - they can be run out of your home. Fix it up for the initial inspection and you're in business.
"Hire" the other single moms in the neighborhood. "Enroll" their children at your unlicensed center (forcing them to be licensed has a "disparate impact") and bill the government for providing their child care. Give a cut to your "employees." Profit.
Launder money there by buying swing sets, painting the rooms, etc...
The Milwaukee Journal did a nice article about the rampant fraud that exists in the system.

Long Answer - A big part of the welfare-to-work transition in the 1990's (under the greatest president of my lifetime, and undoubtedly your favorite, Bill Clinton). The Feds decided to make some much needed changes to the welfare system that would have the added consequence of kicking people off of welfare and putting them back to work.
Now, no one in government really gives a damn about single men, so they were basically SOL. All the single mothers though needed someone to watch their kids as they were now forced to find jobs. Coincidentally, I'm sure, the illegitimacy rate amongst women soared after widespread welfare was introduced in the 1960's "War on Poverty (as effective as the War on Drugs/Terror/Racism/whatever. So not providing child care to all these mothers would be a social disaster.
So the government stepped in and modified part of TANF to provide child care for poor, abused, immigrant, and "seasonally employed" people. The states were given block grants to administer these funds.
States set up early learning offices, almost completely run by teachers and social workers, as they have the programmatic expertise. However, this group, while much needed in society to provide a counterbalance to calculating assholes like me, does not tend to make accountability a high priority when giving money to people. So the systems are rife with abuse and rules are usually very lax. The midwestern states as a whole have the highest rates of fraud. Miami-Dade county though, as with every single governmental aid program ever created (several billion dollars a year in medicaid/care fraud alone), has the most corruption of any MSA.
TMYK.

I'd be happy to provide specifics on how to bilk the system, but I've already typed a novel.

Also, Child Care Centers are great places from which to sell drugs. I have unsuccessfully defended several people charged with working at such places at the same time they were selling meth or crack out in the parking lot.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I worked at a Papa Murphy's Pizza in high school. It was run spotlessly. Nothing to worry about on the consumer side. But the manager routinely smoked up, snorted lines, and sold pot out of the walk-in freezer. We'd be washing dishes in the back and random people would knock at the service door and come in to make a purchase. They used a scale that was meant to measure how much sauce went on the pizzas to weigh the pot if there was skepticism towards the amount. The manager paid us with 25 lb. bags of diced chicken to keep us from telling the owner. My coworkers were going places in life.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Can definitely corroborate this one. My dad worked for Fed-Ex in his late teens/early 20s, and he said exactly what just said, "Fragile" meant "How far can you throw/kick this". No wonder companies pack things so well.

My dad refurbishes electric guitars and ships about 2 a week. He writes fragile like 20x on the box with arrows pointing "up" and stuff thinking it makes a damn difference.
facepalm.gif

My first job was shipping/receiving at a small company. Many boxes I received were accordion shaped, had footprints all over them, corners well rounded, and obviously tossed around. This is normal wear and tear. The box is there to protect what is inside. Get over the ****** looking box. Product always made it intact IF IT WAS PACKED WELL IN AN APPROPRIATELY SIZED BOX, unless it was glass.

I have shipped the same box back and forth (RMA type things) up to 4 times before. That's about the longest a box can last. The contents was always fine every time because of how it was packed up.

Almost every problem I've had was because the shipper did a ****** job at packing the box. Call and chew them out for that? LOL "oh it was [shipping company]s fault, not mine."
facepalm.gif
Next box they ship to me was packed much better anyways. Suure blame UPS for it.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread would be a bit more juicy than this.

I had *********** ex gf on both my desk and the boardroom table at my previous job after hours. Meetings in the boardroom always bought a smile to my face after that....

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
As a server, I really ******* hate people who do all of this. And it's not accidental, no- there are people who come in and do this intentionally, over and over, and we know who they are, and we do rub our balls against their second order of new york strip after eating half of the first one before complaining it's "medium well plus, not medium well".

When I worked in restaurants, we just banned those people. There weren't a lot of them, but they certainly weren't allowed back in. Naturally, they said they were going to tell all their friends not to come to our restaurant. Usually, the manager said "good."

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've worked for start ups that were pretty sketchy, too, before I really understood how it should work.

1. we'd go out in december and get everyone to put in big orders, and tell them that we would let them cancel the orders in january. so we would inflate our sales by 30% or more. the CEO would present to the board before the cancelations came through and get additional investment, as well as getting him bonus (and our commisions)

2. I worked for one company that had "scheduled" maintance on the products, lets say a 5 hour maintanance session for every unit in the field every year. with thousands of units out in the field and only a couple of people in the company who could do the maintanance. so, if the customers actually sent in the units for the recomended maintanance (covered by warrenty and without which the warrenty was voided) the company simply couldn't have done the work.

3. last small company I worked for shipped goods to a country under embargo illigaly. I had filled out the paperwork to ship (and it takes about a year to get the license) and left the company. they shipped before we got the license.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool

Needless to say, I would not advise antagonizing telemarketers. There were a few cases where one of the prisoners would end up noticing that someone lived nearby...

Best advice given on styleforum?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member