• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm playing a 7 day rn i accepted a challenge from a 1200 player haha .

Screenshot 2023-05-05 9.10.31 PM.png

i think so far i'm pretty good . we had a false opening where we traded light squared bishops , now i'm up a pawn and his knight has a choice to make ... but now i'm going to lift e6 and then c6 , bring the knight to c7 and then work up the kingside maybe with the pawn chain not sure ... meanwhile we'll see how my sentinel pawn can disrupt their defenses . i went with scandinavian defense it got a bit weird .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm playing a 7 day rn i accepted a challenge from a 1200 player haha .

View attachment 1952879

i think so far i'm pretty good . we had a false opening where we traded light squared bishops , now i'm up a pawn and his knight has a choice to make ... but now i'm going to lift e6 and then c6 , bring the knight to c7 and then work up the kingside maybe with the pawn chain not sure ... meanwhile we'll see how my sentinel pawn can disrupt their defenses . i went with scandinavian defense it got a bit weird .
I understand nearly none of those words. I do understand that neither of you care about development, apparently.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand nearly none of those words. I do understand that neither of you care about development, apparently.

early trades are a feature of the scandinavian defense , the center gets challenged then rebuilt . it's a response to e4 , the development is just beginning . you're seeing move 4 .

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bg3 is a very favorable move imho

but i believe the one they are looking for is the simpler qb7 EDIT : qb7 is a fail lol , but i was right about bg3

2xEDIT : had to look up the solution , nice !

Last edited:

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

but i believe the one they are looking for is the simpler qb7 EDIT : qb7 is a fail lol , but i was right about bg3
Queen to B5

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2xEDIT : had to look up the solution , nice !
There are quite a few mates in 2 for white as well. It might be fun to see how many we can find.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few mates in 2 for white as well. It might be fun to see how many we can find.

yeah . i really like bg3 . promoting f7 is also a very clean option . kb5 turns the tables on the rooks i think .

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hikaru dresses up like a can and goes like 14-2 against nyc hustlers . interesting to hear him describe a loss from 12 years prior , plus a nice feature with cornbread .

a thing i notice in my game is i focus on pieces and position etc but i never really see the board itself . i think i'm going to memorize the board which i've obvz never bothered to do and might as well memorize the alphanumeric notation / positions as well ( as in knowing intellectually that f5 is a light square ) , i think for me a bit of studying the map a bit will yield good results .

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hikaru dresses up like a can and goes like 14-2 against nyc hustlers . interesting to hear him describe a loss from 12 years prior , plus a nice feature for cornbread .

a thing i notice in my game is i focus on pieces and position etc but i never really see the board itself . i think i'm going to memorize the board which i've obvz never bothered to do and might as well memorize the alphanumeric notation / positions as well ( as in knowing intellectually that f5 is a light square ) , i think for me a bit of studying the map a bit will yield good results .

I actually find the games of lower rated streamers to be less instructive, but more thrilling. Someone like Hikaru, it's just a one sided beatdown.

I need to learn more theory and strong fundamentals. So basically, everything.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually find the games of lower rated streamers to be less instructive, but more thrilling. Someone like Hikaru, it's just a one sided beatdown.

I need to learn more theory and strong fundamentals. So basically, everything.

btw do you have the website matching us ? i think it's fate lol .

i haven't been playing a lot of live games lately but ngl the website is so good , i have like 80+ friends from playing fun games ( ~ 10% of my games ) , a bunch of them i have played multiple games like 5+ , it's very very engaging

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw do you have the website matching us ? i think it's fate lol .

i haven't been playing a lot of live games lately but ngl the website is so good , i have like 80+ friends from playing fun games ( ~ 10% of my games ) , a bunch of them i have played multiple games like 5+ , it's very very engaging
Not sure what you mean by matching us, though I'm still learning the site. The story of how somene from Twitch, wanting to get more out of Chess.com, changed the site to be more interactive, with multiple levels of engagement. Fascinating stuff about the gamification of chess.

I got up beyond 1600 in puzzles today, but am a bit tilted, so I'm going to call it a day. As you get there, the puzzles become harder, and the algorithm punishes you for taking your time to get the answer wrong, and I am always slower, even when my answer is right, since I want to double check everything.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by matching us, though I'm still learning the site. The story of how somene from Twitch, wanting to get more out of Chess.com, changed the site to be more interactive, with multiple levels of engagement. Fascinating stuff about the gamification of chess.

I got up beyond 1600 in puzzles today, but am a bit tilted, so I'm going to call it a day. As you get there, the puzzles become harder, and the algorithm punishes you for taking your time to get the answer wrong, and I am always slower, even when my answer is right, since I want to double check everything.

oh well i get notices for direct challenges from my friend group but the site is suggesting we play , i think b/c we have no record but are friends ...

anyways yeah i cracked 1600 in puzzles a few days ago but slid back to like 1450 , so it goes .

Last edited:

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hesitate to post in here, because I like to play chess yet do not have much to say about it. Other than, bughouse and 5 minute lightning games can be addictive. The games are like the Waffle House clientele, fast and loose.

Oh and that I used to whoop on @PhilKenSebben pretty mercilessly! (J/k, he's pretty good)

Last two games: this guy thought he had a winner until I gave him a free rook. -10 mate ftw.

Screenshot_20230513-000619.png

Meanwhile this guy fell on my ninth move, really weird one.

Screenshot_20230513-000652.png

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hesitate to post in here, because I like to play chess yet do not have much to say about it. Other than, bughouse and 5 minute lightning games can be addictive. The games are like the Waffle House clientele, fast and loose.

Oh and that I used to whoop on @PhilKenSebben pretty mercilessly! (J/k, he's pretty good)

Last two games: this guy thought he had a winner until I gave him a free rook. -10 mate ftw.

View attachment 1956729

Meanwhile this guy fell on my ninth move, really weird one.

View attachment 1956731
Looks too easy for you. I think that it's time for you to play meme opening.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdp