• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Italian Travel Thread

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the daughter likes cats, take her to the cat sanctuary in Rome.
It's right next to Campo dei Fiori which is where I stayed, and my kid made me take her there every day.
You’re talking about the cats in the ruins of Largo Argentina. They have been cleared out and moved (it was illegal) in advance of the new work going on now to finally make the temples accessible to the public—with new walkways, handicapped access and a museum below ground.

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They used have a sign (in English) please do not feed the cats, they are well taken care of.
2019, I was last in Italy and tried not to but drove into almost every city of size ZTL zone (zona traffic limitato), I still get tickets from Pisa, Roma etc and U.S law firms trying to collect for them. Has anyone ever had this happen and most importantly were you still able to rent a car?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We've been caught in the ZTLs in Florence and Bologna. We paid both and ever since because super obsessive about avoiding ZTLs. Do you mean can you still rent a car in Italy if you haven't paid the ZTL/fines?

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, ticket from Pisa I literally got 2 years after being there, thankfully they do not bill the car rental co and then my credit card. If i go back can I rent a car and also god forbid if I have to show a local Polizia my U.S/International drivers permit, am I going to Italian jail for unpaid tickets?

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Rome I did ask the hotel near the Trevi fountain for assurances , hotel said your ok, your on the list, which also means your so f*cked. Ubers and cabbies all said everybody (locals) ignore it. It is now huge source of revenue for local municipalities
1676084979034.png

1676083660251.png

Last edited:

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mrs Fish reminded me when we left Pisa for Menton and drove through Genoa where the bridge had collapsed and we left the autostrade and detoured through at least 10 ZTL zones. Not one ticket
1676087066066.png

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, ticket from Pisa I literally got 2 years after being there, thankfully they do not bill the car rental co and then my credit card. If i go back can I rent a car and also god forbid if I have to show a local Polizia my U.S/International drivers permit, am I going to Italian jail for unpaid tickets?
The car rental companies don’t care if you have unpaid fines; you can still rent a car. The police do, although it’s not like America where police “pull you over” as cameras monitor speeding and other infractions on the autostrade.

Here you are likely to encounter police only if you have an accident or breakdown. Even then, unless you are involved in a serious incident, chances are they’re not going to run your license through some database which probably doesn’t include non-EU drivers anyway.

If they do catch you with unpaid tickets you will not go to jail; they will charge your credit card for the unpaid fines and late fees on the spot, and yes they have card readers.

Generally hotel guests have a limited time window to unload in the ZTL and must follow a specific route; it’s not a free pass to drive around for the length of your stay. But every city is different.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re talking about the cats in the ruins of Largo Argentina. They have been cleared out and moved (it was illegal) in advance of the new work going on now to finally make the temples accessible to the public—with new walkways, handicapped access and a museum below ground.
The cat colony is still there but in a contained zone so the renovations could be carried out. It seems to me there are fewer cats these days.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So far, my itinerary is UK to Catania, Palermo to Rome, Rome to UK - 3 weeks.

In Sicily, we'll go Palermo to Messina (if my tailor hasn't died), Aeolian islands, Messina, Taormina, Noto and back to Catania. Phew.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aeolians are special - if you're on Stromboli, depending on the degree of volcanic activity, you can go out in a boat @ night and watch the lava flow. I think there is always something to see - little kids like lava, right? Lipari & Vulcano are active as well...

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cheers. The kid does like volcanoes. Back in January we took a plane flight to buzz White Island in NZ.

In the past, we've stayed in upper Taormina which we've enjoyed with it's Bam Bar (granite) and Roberto's cannoli. This time we may stay lower down by the coast, day trip it up to the top, and also use it as a base for Gole Alacantara, which is always fun.

Currently we've a few days at the end of the Sicily leg that we're not sure where to go. Noto (where we've only been for an evening) or back to Modica/ Ragusa, or somewhere else.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Siracusa is about the same distance from Noto (NE instead of due west). Depending where you are headed for the evening it could be anther choice. The old town, Ortigia is very cool - location of one of Sicily's 3 Caravaggios. Depending on your architectural tastes, a very nice Duomo. Excellent archeological park w/ 1st rate Greek theatre, Ear of Dionysus & more....for what it's worth, we rented a house in Brucoli, on the coast about halfway btwn Catania & Siracusa. A little sleepy, but geographically very convenient.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yup, thanks. Ortigia's on the list, again. It'll be our base to go to Cavagrande del cassibile. Last time, we stayed at a hotel close to the east coast (Algila?). Details on your house in Brucoli please?

Last edited:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went through The Thinking Traveler - nice house on the water. We were there for a week NY '20.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
innogialuronar