• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
'take it to a good tailor' is such a nothing thing.
you only know if they're not good AFTER they've f*ck*d your item up.

Exactly the same can be said of the store’s tailor, except that you have less transparency. Store tailors have f*cked up clothes of mine—including at SLP and Loro Piana. It can be a fight to get them to replace the ruined item.

Anyway, this is about shortening a jacket sleeve. It is a basic job. If the OP has a tailor he likes, there is no reason to change things up.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a tailor shorten from the end of the sleeve once and was left with fewer buttons!!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a tailor shorten from the end of the sleeve once and was left with fewer buttons!!

Well, that is stupid.

However, if the jacket does not have working button holes, you should absolutely shorten from the sleeve end and NOT from the shoulder. Shortening at the shoulder is major surgery with much greater risk.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing I wonder about there, though, is wouldn't that adversely affect the silhouette? I suppose it could be said in both directions, but for some reason I like the touch of flare at the end of the sleeve, whereas I tend to like a tighter/higher armhole upper bicep region unless I'm working out too much for Hedi Slimane pieces!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
according to the most credible source in the world, Instagram, HS seems to be on the edge of departing Celine. Would make sense as five years is a long time and I could see his proposed replacement, Michael Rider of Polo, being a suitable replacement. I’ve always had this idea that Celine is the Polo Ralph Lauren of France.

I’d suspect that Hedi would take a sabbatical for a couple years and then reenter the game at some watershed or more likely subtle moment, where his aesthetic might be ready to reemerge in the game. I wouldn’t be surprised, assuming the rompre is not too acrimonious, of a return to Dior or a self-styled label.

erikkuuuuu

Reaction score

Michael Rider, creative director of Polo Ralph Lauren women’s, is exiting the brand at the end of May.

A representative for Ralph Lauren confirmed the departure in an email on Monday: “Michael Rider has made the decision to leave Ralph Lauren. We are fortunate to have a deep bench of exceptional creative talent throughout our company who have worked closely with Ralph for many years.”

Rider joined Ralph Lauren in 2018 and has been credited for revamping the mid-priced women’s Polo line and bringing it upmarket. His successor is Karen Brown, an 18-year Ralph Lauren vet whom the brand says has been “instrumental in the repositioning of women’s Polo alongside Michael”.

The announcement heightens speculation that Rider is heading to Celine to replace Hedi Slimane. WWD reported in April, quoting sources, that Rider was the frontrunner to take over the role of creative director at the LVMH-owned brand. Slimane, according to the report, would step down later this year.

Rider would be making a return to Celine in the role: he worked as the label’s ready-to-wear design director under Phoebe Philo from 2008 to 2018. Prior to that, he was a senior designer at Balenciaga.

Rider has not disclosed where he’s heading next. Celine declined to comment.

slpldr

Reaction score

New Celine show. Maybe I'm reading too much into things but feels like a funeral.

It is and the collection is rather disappointing IMO, I saw those very similar pieces before. And the whole presentation is messy: this music video-style does not work well with classical music, and editing is weird. I didn't get the message: cowboy, LA, cars, wtf does it mean??

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too saw this as a swan song, return to California, all blacks, funeral feel, although somewhat contrasted with the dynamic orchestral score. This was one of the collections that spoke to me the most and seems more easily wearable, thus, likely his final collection for Celine!!

DTOB

Reaction score
I too saw this as a swan song, return to California, all blacks, funeral feel, although somewhat contrasted with the dynamic orchestral score. This was one of the collections that spoke to me the most and seems more easily wearable, thus, likely his final collection for Celine!!
Exactly. Everything he loves, ending in the jukebox combusting. Will be interesting to see the actual collection given how tailoring focused the runway was. Really liked how classic all the silhouettes were though. No crazy oversized stuff, very classic Hedi.

LantonMills

Reaction score
I watched this as soon as it dropped. As soon as I saw the procession of Cadillacs I just knew the moment I’d feared since the pandemic had finally arrived. I pulled out a TRIOMPHE leather phone case and gently wrapped it around my phone with delicate precision and placed all my Celine suits jackets and trousers down on to the the floor of my walk in closet, and began to sob violently. I look around at my beautiful coats and artifacts collected over the last decade and shed bittersweet tears.

As I sit here alone, shaken to my core, enveloped in my tears and memories, I feel a calming sense of relief and strength that we have achieved everything that what we set out to do and made it to the finish line. We have triumphed. We have TRIOMPHED.

ScrubbyDoo

Reaction score
In my mind the description written about Symphonie Fantasique really tied everything together. Considering the fact that it was written due to unrequited love and all the rumors currently surrounding Hedi, my initial impression lead me to believe this show may have been an ode to Celine. However upon further rumination I now feel it makes a lot more sense to think of it as a love letter to LA, a city Hedi has had a long running love affair with but is separated from.
The clothing felt very inspired by 19th century western wear, almost as if fw06 went cowboy-core, which fit the 19th century timeline of the musical score being written, The black cadillacs, cowboys, jukebox & setting all work with the very romanticized depiction of 50's-60's LA.
Whether or not this is Hedi's final show at Celine still remains uncertain in my eyes, the writing may be on the wall but I choose to look the other way until it surrounds me. I do understand the funeral vibe, Palladium also heavily referenced golden era LA, however I still don't think that's the main theme of the show. Despite my beloved Dior, Celine has really taken my heart as my favorite iteration of Hedi. If this is the end then it was a great run and I feel this collection was an excellent note to end on.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member