• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Faber looks unbeatable at 145, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up in weight soon.

** Penn would destroy him at 155. Faber's height is really going to limit him in moving up to 155 as I see him being a great match up for Sean Sherk but having a similar outcome as Sherk when attempting to fight ** Penn.

EliteXC is a joke and it makes me sick that a lot of people watching MMA for the first time had to watch a bunch of amatuers. The worst of all the stoppages was the Gina Carano-Kaitlin Young match. It wasn't even stopped by the doctor or the fighter. When the commission gets involved simply because it was a females face about to split on network TV it's time for it to stay on cable.

If it's going to be tamed down for network TV with multiple early stoppages then it should stay on cable.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya, Zuffa has to work out what it wants to do with WEC though. If it wants it as a minor league - ok, fine...then get the top talent into the UFC (where Faber and Condit and one or two others would therefore belong), and use it accordingly. If it wants it to be a lighter weight supplement to the UFC - then maybe throw out the bigger boys altogether, bring a few heavyweights into the UFC (where the heavyweight talent pool is drying up) and look get the top fights in the lighter divisions more exposure on UFC cards for WEC titles ... or something. At the moment WEC is a little neither here nor there.

somecallmebj

Reaction score
I miss PRIDE
cry.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This wasnt an mma fight it was a circus. I have heard people talk about how kimbo is a beast and all. Are you kidding me? He's a joke. If he went up against any real heavy weights like Fedor and even a good miiddleweight he would get tooled like a little *****.

This whole elite XC really went and set the whole MMA reputation back to what it was in the 1990s when people just thought the UFC was just a televised streetfight.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
M@T - good point . WEC could have the chance and draw to focus and highlight smaller sized fighters. The UFC could bring in more and weights and super heavies.
Both shows could be ran with A level fighters bringing Zuffa and others not to mention the fighters better pay days.

Kimbo slice is a bad dude but NOT EVEN a C level fighter. He has potential and might be good ina few years.

Johnny - I dont think its that bad but CBS and elite XC did **** up.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody else get annoyed at Elite XC when they list a figher's fighting style as "Brawling" or "Streetfighting". That **** is plain stoopit and bad for the sport.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
** Penn would destroy him at 155. Faber's height is really going to limit him in moving up to 155 as I see him being a great match up for Sean Sherk but having a similar outcome as Sherk when attempting to fight ** Penn.

EliteXC is a joke and it makes me sick that a lot of people watching MMA for the first time had to watch a bunch of amatuers. The worst of all the stoppages was the Gina Carano-Kaitlin Young match. It wasn't even stopped by the doctor or the fighter. When the commission gets involved simply because it was a females face about to split on network TV it's time for it to stay on cable.

If it's going to be tamed down for network TV with multiple early stoppages then it should stay on cable.

Penn brought Faber into his last training camp to simulate Sherk. I agree that Penn would own Faber, but Penn would own anybody at 155. Faber wants to avenge his only loss, to Tyson Griffin at 155. If he can beat Griffin, he can be competitive at LW, particularly after Penn leaves the weight class to fight GSP. I would like to see Faber fight Frankie Edgar at 145 first.

I wasn't too disturbed by the Carano-Young stoppage, because I wasn't that interested in that fight. If the backlash against a woman getting her face split open takes women's MMA off the card, I say good. I thought the Kimbo-Thompson stoppage was a bit premature, but the fight probably would have ended 10-15 seconds later. What was EliteXC thinking letting Thompson into the cage with that nasty cauliflower ear? Drain and tape that sucker! The Smith-Lawler stoppage was completely inexcusable.

Originally Posted by m@T
ya, Zuffa has to work out what it wants to do with WEC though. If it wants it as a minor league - ok, fine...then get the top talent into the UFC (where Faber and Condit and one or two others would therefore belong), and use it accordingly. If it wants it to be a lighter weight supplement to the UFC - then maybe throw out the bigger boys altogether, bring a few heavyweights into the UFC (where the heavyweight talent pool is drying up) and look get the top fights in the lighter divisions more exposure on UFC cards for WEC titles ... or something. At the moment WEC is a little neither here nor there.
I've read that the UFC is thinking of getting rid of the WEC's higher weight classes, which are very thin. The problem is that with the exception of a few fighters (Condit, Filho, Sonnen), most of the fighters in those classes are not UFC-caliber. Where would they go? And Filho, who was one of the top MWs in the world when he fought in PRIDE, won't find Anderson Silva because they're friends.

Reborn

Reaction score
Penn brought Faber into his last training camp to simulate Sherk. I agree that Penn would own Faber, but Penn would own anybody at 155. Faber wants to avenge his only loss, to Tyson Griffin at 155. If he can beat Griffin, he can be competitive at LW, particularly after Penn leaves the weight class to fight GSP. I would like to see Faber fight Frankie Edgar at 145 first.

I wasn't too disturbed by the Carano-Young stoppage, because I wasn't that interested in that fight. If the backlash against a woman getting her face split open takes women's MMA off the card, I say good. I thought the Kimbo-Thompson stoppage was a bit premature, but the fight probably would have ended 10-15 seconds later. What was EliteXC thinking letting Thompson into the cage with that nasty cauliflower ear? Drain and tape that sucker! The Smith-Lawler stoppage was completely inexcusable.

** Penn is by far my favorite fighter ever so I'm baised and I think he's going to finish GSP at 170. It's going to be a great fight but ** is a monster now that he's actually training 100%.

I listened to the ref(same guy) from the Kimbo-Thompson and Smith-Lawler fights and he explained that Thompson was out on his feet cross eyed and didn't know the fight was even over. I still would have liked for him to let Kimbo finish Thompson off.

He said that the Smith-Lawler stoppage was because Smith kept saying "I can't see out of my eye. If I keep fighting I'm going to get knocked out. I can't see him, I'm going to get knocked out." He said it would have kept going is Smith wouldn't have been complaining that he couldn't see and he was going to get knocked out.

It's a bit biased because of course he's not going to say he had 2 early stoppages that night but it sheds a little more light on why they were stopped.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I've read that the UFC is thinking of getting rid of the WEC's higher weight classes, which are very thin. The problem is that with the exception of a few fighters (Condit, Filho, Sonnen), most of the fighters in those classes are not UFC-caliber. Where would they go?
EliteXC (hey, most of them could take Kimbo
smile.gif
) Affliction IFL Dream Strikeforce Whoever else comes along....I'm sure they'll find a slot somewhere.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somecallmebj
I miss PRIDE
cry.gif

Tell me about it....

Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson probably the best fight ever in MMA history....

shimmyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Tell me about it....

Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson probably the best fight ever in MMA history....

You'll get that rematch by next summer if Wanderlei destroys his next opponent and Rampage destroys Forrest and whoever else is after that. Hell you might see it sooner if Forrest wins.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shimmyt
You'll get that rematch by next summer if Wanderlei destroys his next opponent and Rampage destroys Forrest and whoever else is after that. Hell you might see it sooner if Forrest wins.
Yea but unfortunately Wanderlei's glory days are over. Back in the good ol' days of pride he was a unstoppable beast, like back when he broke Sakuraba's shoulder.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just threw down some cash and signed up for 12 months at Urijah's gym. He hooked me up a little bit since we went to the same university.

It was funny, I walked in there and next to his ring there is a couch/lounge area with a plasma TV and he is just chillin there with his fight on Sunday playing on a loop. He couldn't shake my hand because his hands are pretty sore still.

Should be interesting, especially interested in the BJJ he offers.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I just threw down some cash and signed up for 12 months at Urijah's gym. He hooked me up a little bit since we went to the same university.

It was funny, I walked in there and next to his ring there is a couch/lounge area with a plasma TV and he is just chillin there with his fight on Sunday playing on a loop. He couldn't shake my hand because his hands are pretty sore still.

Should be interesting, especially interested in the ** he offers.

fixed

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member