• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The small footprint / minimalist wallet thread.

MMiUSA

Reaction score
So a few years back, I wanted to find a small wallet that could hold a key / coins (if I wanted) bills, and cards but with a super small footprint. That seemed nearly impossible, and I studied pretty hard to find the few wallets that met this criteria. The most famous of all was of course, the Bellroy Hide & Seek.

I liked the Bellroy a lot, but it's a bit steep for a small wallet at ~$100.

There is a Chinese knock-off called the Ikepod that was virtually exactly the same as the Bellroy, but still $40... and questionable whether or not it would be decent quality.

* I don't mind spending money on a wallet, BTW. $40 isn't an insane price, but being I wasn't looking for a designer wallet or something that used exotic materials I definitely wasn't fond of dropping $100 on the Bellroy, and I just was unsure of the Ikepod quality wise.

So I stumbled upon a kickstarter for a wallet called the MiniMax, spoke to the dude who owned / started it (Simon) and elected to give it a shot for ~$30 USD back in 2017. This wallet, I legit swear by still 4 years later. It is tiny, holds coins, cash and cards. If you want to check the wallet out, his new campaign for the MM3 is here.

Pretty inventive. I guess I am still a bit old school and carry more than just cards on occasion, but maybe I am in the minority.

What wallet do you guys use? I know many prefer designer wallets. Figured this would be an interesting thread to show off wallets or help people that are also looking for something small / minimalist but don't want to spend hours researching like I did. Haha.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second Comme des Garçons corner zip wallet and it's great: super compact, simple, discreet depending on the colour you go for. Leather quality is low but I don't even care because it's thin, light, and supple. The only downside is that plastic cards rub directly against each other and so tend to deteriorate a bit quickly.

1616106868542.png

MMiUSA

Reaction score
I'm on my second Comme des Garçons corner zip wallet and it's great: super compact, simple, discreet depending on the colour you go for. Leather quality is low but I don't even care because it's thin, light, and supple. The only downside is that plastic cards rub directly against each other and so tend to deteriorate a bit quickly.

View attachment 1577139
For some reason, I never really considered a zip wallet.

Nice stuff!

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ashland Leather Frank the Enforcer is a minimalist wallet -- here's mine, in unglazed shell cordovan. The front and back are pictured. There is also a slot in the top that can be used for bills, etc. I like this wallet a lot, it's surprisingly versatile and I carry it more than any of my other wallets:

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0589.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use a Chester Mox alligator breast wallet. Design is big on purpose so it's easier to fish out of my in-breast pocket

tumblr_inline_ph3aqwsmVG1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_ph3apsCPmz1qfex1b_540.jpg

But it's also thin, so it doesn't ruin the silhouette of a tailored jacket

tumblr_inline_ph3aq04kfC1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_ph3aq9DFLd1qfex1b_540.jpg

Design is partly inspired by traditional coat wallets, but made more compact cause I don't carry as many cards or a checkbook

tumblr_inline_ph4ae4eRAs1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_ph4houVkb31qfex1b_540.jpg

Also have a couple of small card cases from Chester Mox and Il Busseto, which I use in conjunction with an Elsa Perretti money clip. I use those with casualwear, as the coat wallet is too big for casual jackets.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I bought a Chester Mox wallet due to an article written by @dieworkwear about 3 years ago. It has an Italian shell cordovan exterior and a French chèvre interior. I absolutely love the thing. I use it everyday. It’s my only wallet. I believe it’s model number 53.

Anyways, it’s so durable and well made. There isn’t a single stitching even fraying let alone torn. The thing literally looks brand new and Ive never done anything take care of it. I recommend them to everyone. I couldn’t be happier and I don’t even think about how much I spent on it since it’s worth every penny.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't found anything better than the Swaine Adeney London Tan bridle leather bifold, minimalist but elegant.

Its Joseph

Reaction score
I use a Chester Mox alligator breast wallet. Design is big on purpose so it's easier to fish out of my in-breast pocket

View attachment 1577326 View attachment 1577327

But it's also thin, so it doesn't ruin the silhouette of a tailored jacket

View attachment 1577328 View attachment 1577329

Design is partly inspired by traditional coat wallets, but made more compact cause I don't carry as many cards or a checkbook

View attachment 1577331 View attachment 1577330

Also have a couple of small card cases from Chester Mox and Il Busseto, which I use in conjunction with an Elsa Perretti money clip. I use those with casualwear, as the coat wallet is too big for casual jackets.
This wallet is fantastic ..
I’d love to purchase one of these .. I used to only wear alligator wallets.. very hard to find now
Joseph

WriterActor

Reaction score
I love this one. It fits anywhere, including pants side pocket. I don't need/want to carry keys in my wallet, but I need multiple cards, ID and cash. This is terrific for that purpose, and costs very little. I've had it for more than a year.

(I'm just a user, not affiliated with the company in any way. It's changed my life--I went from the guy with a fat wallet who had to take it out of the rear pants pocket and put it on the table to eat at a restaurant to carefree me now. Of course, I had to prune the number of cards and random stuff in my wallet. But this still holds what I need, and is ultra thin and feather light.)

MMiUSA

Reaction score
I didn't put any pictures in the first post of the MiniMax, but here is one I took and one stock photo showing the features. Mine is more "small footprint" than minimalist I suppose, as it retains tiny shape but still allows me coins / cash / cards.

26756699_1010380735782438_3081403669497809636_o.jpg

mm.png

Dodgeful Artist

Reaction score
I recently switched out my (aging) card holder for this red hornback bifold that I bought a number of years ago. The card configuration is 3 and 3, plus a money clip. Like many bifolds, this wallet has interior pockets for extra cards; I don't use them because stuffing my wallet with old memberships and other unnecessary cards ruins the svelte profile that I've worked so hard since my high school days to achieve (were corpulent wallets ever in style?).

It may not look this way from the photos, but the hornback ridges have a considerable topography to them that makes the wallet easy to find in an exterior pocket (and confusing for pickpockets?). After about 8 months of consistent use, the wallet is showing no significant signs of wear.

Attachments

• IMG_dfe1.jpg
    IMG_dfe1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_dff1.jpg
    IMG_dff1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_dfg1.jpg
    IMG_dfg1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 57

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ashland Leather Frank the Enforcer is a minimalist wallet -- here's mine, in unglazed shell cordovan. The front and back are pictured. There is also a slot in the top that can be used for bills, etc. I like this wallet a lot, it's surprisingly versatile and I carry it more than any of my other wallets:

View attachment 1577229
View attachment 1577231

Similar one here. Have had it for a little over a year and I love it. I've always carried my cash in my pocket so minimalist is all I need. It has aged quite nicely........

20210322_054205.jpg
20210322_054159.jpg

wttm

Reaction score

I vouch for this! One of my most beloved wallets I've ever used. Very accessible to purchase with many different seasonal colors to choose from beside the staple colors.

jab296

Reaction score
You may be interested in kangaroo leather wallets from Australian shops such as Rose Leather Crafting, Nivisto, or Harrison. Super thin but also very strong

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhnguyen38