• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sous VIde Thread

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'd enjoy them. Similar flavor and texture as artichokes, much less prep required. PM me your shipping info and I'll send some out this week.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While on the subject, would anyone here like some free salsify? I have a box sitting in my fridge that I simply won't be eating. They are from Belgium and they are a delicious vegetable to cook sous vide. I can USPS to all 48 contiguous states.

This is a great service. I'll vouch for it.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend's dad challenged me to a BBQ cook-off for 4th of july and I want to bring my A-Game. I cook mainly italian food so I figured why not convert the t-bone fiorentina recipe to a sous vide chick roast (probably 4-5 lbs).

A few questions:

1) What's the best way to get a crust on the grill without overcooking the meat? Just get the grill searingly hot? Maybe add some sugar to jumpstart the browning? Finally cave and buy a searzall? Just accept some overcookedness in the outside?

2) I'm going to be doing the cook beforehand, ice-bathing, transporting, re-heating and then searing so that I can make sure things don't go south. How hot should I make the re-heating bath?

3) Bag it with dried versions of the fiorentina herbs but no salt yes? Should I re-herb before searing?

4) I'm going to be testing to see if i want 24, 48, or 72 hours SV @ 135*. I don't want it to be excessively tender, just tender enough to have a good bite. Any experience?

5) Any other tips? I'm going to practice my long cooking beforehand but I really want to wow

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read numbers 1-4, but for #5 I suggest you search this forvm for posts by "GrillinFool".

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, "chick roast" is a really excellent typo.

Second, maybe you ought to clarify the rules of this "BBQ cook-off".

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's pretty much open to whatever. We're both not really huge grillers, mainly home cooks (since the only time we can really grill is summer), and it's basically just a fun little competition to have us cook for them.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have now done some experiments with meat and I am not as impressed as I had hoped to be.

Sous vide certainly allows for an impressive consistency I can only approximate with conventional cooking and a digital thermometer. And you can certainly do a lot of tenderizing with cheaper cuts of meat that is pretty tough to do otherwise. I think this is where I've been most impressed.

Sous vide certainly doesn't dry meat out and it retains almost all its moisture. But I think this may be a problem.

Most of the sous vide roasts and steaks just haven't been as flavorful as they would have been with conventional cooking. This isn't very noticeable with a sauce but I found it very noticeable with a simple preparation. For example, a tri-tip prepared sous vide and then finished for a few minutes on a grill comes out very different, both in flavor and in texture. While it is anything but dry, the flavor is "washed out". The problem with the texture is a bit harder to explain. A properly-grilled tri-tip will be tender yet "toothy" -- Jesus, this is harder than describing wine -- anyway, it has a different feel in the mouth. Whereas a tri-tip prepared sous vide is almost "buttery". That's nice too but somehow not quite as satisfying. It's almost like you don't have to chew it at all.

I've noticed similar issues with other cuts as well. I am thinking that this may be exactly because sous vide does not dry out the meat. Perhaps all that extra water means less-concentrated flavor. I'm not saying this is bad, exactly. In some cases it could be a huge advantage, but it's definitely different.

I am wondering if you could avoid these problems by using dry-aged beef. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've only ever used it with dry aged beef and I definitely think it isn't as good as normal cast iron pan cooking.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just my opinion here but I think sous vide excels are two main types of proteins. First, it excels at very lean cuts. A 6" think baseball cut fillet mignon comes to mind. You're just never going to get a 6" thick cut of extra lean meat that perfect pink all the way through like sous side will. The other type is a cut full of connective tissue that is also a cut that it's standard to use heavy flavouring on. Braised shortribs come to mind, in particular the David Chang 48 hour short ribs.

Just an off the cuff ramble here so don't take it too seriously.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just my opinion here but I think sous vide excels are two main types of proteins. First, it excels at very lean cuts. A 6" think baseball cut fillet mignon comes to mind. You're just never going to get a 6" thick cut of extra lean meat that perfect pink all the way through like sous side will. The other type is a cut full of connective tissue that is also a cut that it's standard to use heavy flavouring on. Braised shortribs come to mind, in particular the David Chang 48 hour short ribs.

Just an off the cuff ramble here so don't take it too seriously.

I've always been wary of cooking something like fillet sous vide, and especially that thick. I think it tends to mush up a bit if left in a long time, and a 6" steak has to be in a long time. Never done it, though, but just my worry.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

48 hour sous vide chuck tender roast. It was good but honestly it would've been a lot better without that line of gristle that runs through it. Texture was super tender though--I'll probably do it again but carve out some faux filet mignons (the taste is pretty similar too).

Also it was hard to get even browning in a dry pan. Will attempt more of a shallow fry next time.

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have now done some experiments with meat and I am not as impressed as I had hoped to be.

Sous vide certainly allows for an impressive consistency I can only approximate with conventional cooking and a digital thermometer. And you can certainly do a lot of tenderizing with cheaper cuts of meat that is pretty tough to do otherwise. I think this is where I've been most impressed.

Sous vide certainly doesn't dry meat out and it retains almost all its moisture. But I think this may be a problem.

Most of the sous vide roasts and steaks just haven't been as flavorful as they would have been with conventional cooking. This isn't very noticeable with a sauce but I found it very noticeable with a simple preparation. For example, a tri-tip prepared sous vide and then finished for a few minutes on a grill comes out very different, both in flavor and in texture. While it is anything but dry, the flavor is "washed out". The problem with the texture is a bit harder to explain. A properly-grilled tri-tip will be tender yet "toothy" -- Jesus, this is harder than describing wine -- anyway, it has a different feel in the mouth. Whereas a tri-tip prepared sous vide is almost "buttery". That's nice too but somehow not quite as satisfying. It's almost like you don't have to chew it at all.

I've noticed similar issues with other cuts as well. I am thinking that this may be exactly because sous vide does not dry out the meat. Perhaps all that extra water means less-concentrated flavor. I'm not saying this is bad, exactly. In some cases it could be a huge advantage, but it's definitely different.

I am wondering if you could avoid these problems by using dry-aged beef. Has anyone tried this?

I found the same thing. I started using a better quality french grey salt and more of it. When finishing on an incredibly hot pan I'll add the sauce back over the steak at the end and it almost forms a glaze. Adds back all the flavor and more.
I also always make to add some kind of vinegar to the bag and potentially a balsamic for the sugar. It doesn't play much of a difference during the sous vide itself but really comes out at the end.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I've always been wary of cooking something like fillet sous vide, and especially that thick. I think it tends to mush up a bit if left in a long time, and a 6" steak has to be in a long time. Never done it, though, but just my worry.

It's been a year or so since I've done it, and I think your concern is very valid, but I don't remember the texture being compromised. I'll have to experiment again at some point.

Now that I have the Anova, and a big polycarbonate container, I think I need to try some 48 hour dino (beef) ribs. Have you done those?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member