• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows 7 phone announced today

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gizmodo is calling this "the most groundbreaking phone since the iPhone." I must admit, it looks pretty impressive. Then again, I'd never use half of the functions that reputedly make it so (cross-platform social media integration, xbox live, photo sharing, etc.). That being said, what looks like a complete office suite is very intriguing. In any case the essential point is that Microsoft -- with the Xbox 360, Windows 7, and now this -- has decided to end a decade of mediocrity and remind us all of why we stopped using DOS in the first place. Glad to see that competition finally means something again. http://gizmodo.com/5471805/windows-p...=Google+Reader Windows Phone 7 Series: Everything Is Different Now
500x_windowsphon7.jpg
It's astounding that until this moment, three years after the iPhone, the biggest software company in the world basically didn't compete in mobile. Windows Phone 7 Series is more than the Microsoft smartphone we've been waiting for. Everything's different now. Today, at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Microsoft is publicly previewing Windows Phone 7 for the first time. The brand new, totally fresh operating system will appear in phones this year, but not until the holidays. All of the major wireless carriers and every likely hardware maker are backing it, and they'd be stupid not to. It's awesome. Further details are forthcoming, but here is what you need to know: The name—Windows Phone 7 Series—is a mouthful, and unfortunately, the epitome of Microsoft's worst naming instincts, belying the simple fact that it's the most groundbreaking phone since the iPhone. It's the phone Microsoft should've made three years ago. In the same way that the Windows 7 desktop OS was nearly everything people hoped it would be, Windows Phone 7 is almost everything anyone could've dreamed of in a phone, let alone a Microsoft phone. It changes everything. Why? Now that Microsoft has filled in its gaping chasm of suck with a meaningful phone effort, the three most significant companies in desktop computing—Apple, Google and Microsoft—now stand to occupy the same positions in mobile. Phones are officially computers that happen to fit in your pocket. Windows Phone 7 is also something completely new for Microsoft: A total break from the past. Windows Mobile isn't just dead, the body's been dumped, buried and paved over by a rainbow brick road.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Interface It's different. The face of Windows Phone 7 is not a rectangular grid of thumbnail-sized glossy-looking icons, arranged in a pattern of 4x4 or so, like basically every other phone. No, instead, an oversized set of bright, superflat squares fill the screen. The pop of the primary colors and exaggerated flatness produces a kind of cutting-edge crispness that feels both incredibly modern and playful. Text is big, and beautiful. The result is a feat no phone has performed before: Making the iPhone's interface feel staid. If you want to know what it feels like, the Zune HD provides a taste: Interface elements that run off the screen; beautiful, oversized text and graphics; flipping, panning, scrolling, zooming from screen to screen; broken hearts. Some people might think it's gratuitous, but I think it feels natural and just…fun. There's an incredible sense of joie de vivre that's just not in any other phone. It makes you wish that this was aesthetic direction all of Microsoft was going in. Windows Phone 7 is connected in the same sense as Palm's webOS and Android, with live, real-time data seamlessly integrated, though it's even smoother and more natural. Live tiles on the Start screen are updated dynamically with fresh content, like weather, or if you've pinned a person to your Start screen, their latest status updates and photos.
500x_windowsphon7musicvideohub.jpg
The meat of the phone is organized around a set of hubs: People, Pictures, Games, Music + Video, Marketplace, and Office. They're kind of like uber-applications, in a sense. Massive panoramas with multiple screens that are kind of like individual apps. People, for instance, isn't just your contacts, but it's also where social networking happens, with a real-time stream of updates from like Facebook and Windows Live. (No Twitter support announced yet, it appears—a kind of serious deficiency, but one we're sure will be remedied by ship date.) As another example, Music + Video is essentially the entirety of Zune HD's software, tucked inside of Windows Phone 7. A piece of interface that's shockingly not there: A desktop syncing app. If anyone would be expected to tie their phone to a desktop, you'd think it'd be Microsoft, but they're actually moving forward here. All of your contacts and info sync over the air. The only thing you'll be syncing through your computer is music and videos, which is mercifully done via the Zune client.
500x_windowsphone7peoplehub.jpg
Hello, Connected World The People hub might be the best social networking implementation yet on a phone: It's a single place to see all of your friends' status updates from multiple services in a single stream, and to update your own Facebook and Windows Live status. Needs. Twitter support. Badly. But you have neat things going on, like the aforementioned live tiles—if you really like someone or want to stalk them hardcore, you can make them a tile on your Start screen, which will update in realtime with whatever they're posting, and pull down their photos from whatever service. All of your contacts are synced and backed up over-the-air, Android and webOS style, and can be pulled from multiple sources, like Windows Live, Exchange, etc. Makes certain other phones seem a little antiquated with their out-of-the-box Contacts situation. Holy Crap! The Zune Phone! Microsoft's vision of Zune is finally clear with Windows Phone 7. It's an app, just like iPod is on the iPhone, though the Zune Marketplace is integrated with it into the music + video hub, not separated into its own little application. It's just like the Zune HD, so you can check out our review of that to see what it's like. But you get third-party stuff like Pandora too built-in here. Oh, and worth mentioning, there will be an FM radio in every phone (more on that in a bit).
500x_pictureshub.jpg
Pictures is a little different though, and gets its very own hub. That's because it's intensely connected—you can share photos and video with social networks straight from the hub, and via the cloud, they're kept in sync with your PC and web galleries. The latest photos your friends post also show up here. Of course, you get around with multitouch zoom and scrolling stuff too.
500x_xboxlivephone.jpg
Xbox, on a Phone I'll admit, I very nearly needed to change my pants when I saw the Xbox tile on the phone for the first time. Obviously, you're not going to be playing Halo 3 on your smartphone (at least not this year), but yes, Xbox Live on a phone! It's tied to your Live profile, and there are achievements and gamer points for the games you can play on your phone, which will be tied to games back on your Xbox 360. If Microsoft's got an ace-in-hole with Windows Phone 7, it's Xbox Live. Gamers have talked about a portable Xbox for years—this is the most logical way to do it. The N-Gage was ahead of its time. (Okay, and it sucked.) The DS and PSP are the past. The iPhone showed us that the future of mobile gaming was going to be on your phone, and now that just got a lot more interesting. The potential's there, and hopefully the games will be plentiful and awesome enough to meet it. Browser and Email Yes, the browser is Internet Exploder. And yes, the rumor's true: It won't be as fast as Mobile Safari. Not to start. But it's not bad! Hey, least it's got multitouch powers right out of the box. Naturally, you've got multiple browser windows, and you can pin web pages to the Start screen, like any other decent mobile browser. The Outlook email app makes me question how people read email on a BlackBerry. It is stunning. I never thought I'd call a mail app "stunning," but, well, it kind of is. It's the best looking mobile mail app around. Text is huge. Gorgeous. Ultrareadable. Of course, it's got Exchange support too.
500x_officephone.jpg
Apps, Office and Marketplace Remember what I said earlier about Windows Mobile being dead? So are all the apps. They won't work on WP7. Sorry Windows Mobile developers, it's for the best. Deep down, we all knew a clean break was the only way Windows Phone wasn't going to suck total balls. The Marketplace is where you'll buy apps. Since we've got like 6 months 'til Windows Phone 7 launches and people should be excited to develop for it, hopefully there'll be plenty of stuff to buy there on day one. Apps have some standardized interface elements, like the app bar on the bottom for common commands. Naturally, Bing and Bing Maps are built into the phone as the default search and maps services. They're nice, smart, and very location-focused. Bing's also used for universal search on the phone, via a dedicated Bing button. Bing Maps is multitouchable, with pinch-to-zoom. It's rich, with built-in listings with reviews and clever ways of searching for stuff. And yeah, Office! It's connected to that cloud thing, for OTA syncing and such. Business people should be happy. Hardware and Partnahs Another way the old Windows Mobile is dead is how Microsoft's handling partners and hardware situation. With Windows Mobile, a phonemaker handed Microsoft their monies, and Microsoft tossed them a software kit, and that was that. Which is why a lot of Windows Mobile phones felt and ran like crap. And why it took HTC like two years to produce the HD2, the most genuinely usable rendition of Windows Mobile ever. Microsoft's not building their own phones, but they're going to be picky, to say the least, with Windows Phone 7. Ballmer phrases it as "taking more accountability" for people's experiences. There's a strict set of minimum hardware requirements: a capacitive, multitouchable screen with at least four points of touch; accelerometer; FM radio; and the like. There are serious benchmarks that have to be met. And only chosen OEMs get to build the phones now, not like before, when anybody with $20 could get a license. The OEMs that Microsoft's announcing they're working with at launch are: Qualcomm, LG, Samsung, Garmin Asus, HTC, HP, Dell, Sony Ericsson, and Toshiba. AT&T's their "premiere partner" in the US (dammit). Every phone will have a Bing (search) button and a Start button. Custom skins, like the minor miracles HTC worked, are now banned. The message to hardware makers is clear: It's a Windows Phone, you're just putting it together. Basically, phonemakers get to decide the shape and whether or not there's a keyboard. One other word on hardware, in a manner of speaking. Hardware it won't work with? Macs. Which is kind of stupid to us—a lot of the people Microsoft wants to use Windows Phone 7, like college students, have been going Mac in droves. You wanna lure them back Microsoft? Let them use your phone with any OS. The Big Picture Windows Phone 7 Series is, from what we've seen, exactly what Microsoft's phone should be. It's actually good. It brings together a bunch of different Microsoft services—Zune, Xbox, Bing—in a way that actually makes sense and just works. But there's a real, lingering question: Are they too late? The first Windows Phone 7 Series…phone—goddamn that is a stupid name—won't hit until the end of this year. That's more than three years after the iPhone, two years after Android, hell, even a year after Palm, the industry's sickly but persistent dwarf. History is on Microsoft's side here—we know what happened the last time Apple had a massive head start. Microsoft is, if nothing else, incredibly patient. Remember the first Xbox? Back when it was crazy that Microsoft was getting into videogames? It's cost them about a billion dollars and taken nearly 10 years, but now, with Xbox Live, Project Natal and their massive software ecosystem, they arguably have the most impressive gaming console you can buy. That was a pet project. Now, mobile is the future of computing. What do you think Microsoft will sink into that? The mobile picture is now officially a three-way dance: Apple, Google, and Microsoft. The same people who dominate desktop computing. Everybody else is screwed. Former Palm CEO Ed Colligan famously said a few years ago: "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." That's precisely what's just happened. Phones are the new PCs. PC guys are the new phone guys.

r...

Reaction score
The tought of this OS running on an Xperia x2 makes me really happy.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the phone actually does something new. When the revolutionary iphone came out, the only thing revolutionary about it was that you could now pay $600 for a phone that couldn't send pic messages or cut and paste. IMO, just reorganizing the way a phone performs already performable tasks is far from 'revolutionary'.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
IMO, just reorganizing the way a phone performs already performable tasks is far from 'revolutionary'.

I agree to a point, but the iPhone made everything "useable". That was a revolution. Windows Mobile had everything, but it pretty much didn't work.

So when somebody does something that changes the way many people interact (iPhone), it's a revolution of sorts. The App store is a revolution, too.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
IMO, just reorganizing the way a phone performs already performable tasks is far from 'revolutionary'.

Not to derail the thread, but I would consider that to be the definition of revolutionary. What its not is Innovative.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tl;dr, fanboi. It's like you're selling Apples for Microsoft.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
tl;dr, fanboi. It's like you're selling Apples for Microsoft.
I copied and pasted an article. I even embedded pictures and video for people like you.

Why the hate?
frown.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I copied and pasted an article. I even embedded pictures and video for people like you.

Why the hate?
frown.gif

tl;dw

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This isn't jumping the gun, this is running the race before everyone else gets to the stadium. The irony is, that Windows is going to have to WAIT to gain any market share, since the people they want to sell phones to are already currently locked into an iPhone contract, or will have purchased an android phone by December. I think they'll stumble out of the gate but if they can hold on - they might eventually be competitive again.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
This isn't jumping the gun, this is running the race before everyone else gets to the stadium. The irony is, that Windows is going to have to WAIT to gain any market share, since the people they want to sell phones to are already currently locked into an iPhone contract, or will have purchased an android phone by December. I think they'll stumble out of the gate but if they can hold on - they might eventually be competitive again.
Had a busy morning so just now catching up to the WM7 news despite waiting for MWC since January. I think you're bringing up a valid point about the release date. On the flip side, it gives the OS some more time to mature and the app developers time to rewrite/update/release new applications. That's one of the things I'm somewhat disappointed about. While I 100% completely agree with MS that they needed a complete break instead of trying to support old applications, I also have a ton of programs that are now useless and won't work with WM7. I hope they get updated soon. I'm also wary of this being a "new" OS since it's a complete rewrite. Buying version 1 of anything is always a risk that early adopters take and I'm waiting to see the stability, battery life, etc. of this new release. However, I've also had a good experience with MS and I'm looking forward to the final product release. Also, I really think that they have minimum requirements for the phones to be a wonderful thing. Not to mention that those minimum requirements are pretty damned powerful (hurrah for 3.5 mm headphone jack with no effing dongle). I think the fact that any ****** hardware could run WM really hurt it because the person with the slow, buggy POS phone that really shouldn't be trying to run WM 6 or whatever is not going to blame the hardware specs but instead say that MS is a ****** company and swear off any future WM phones. Site not loading for me at the moment cause it's getting hammered I guess but supposed to be a good video showing off WM 7 here - http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Laura...Hands-on-Demo/

milosh

Reaction score
I love that they built on the ZuneHD interface. It really looks great. Can't wait to play with it.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Not to derail the thread, but I would consider that to be the definition of revolutionary. What its not is Innovative.

I don't think that's what Apple meant by revolutionary. At least that's not what all of their advertising claimed. I found the main appeal of the iphone to be it's bright and shiny screen. It looked cool. When it came down to it, the phone lacked revolutionary features that had much practical use. Couple that with a heavy price tag and the non-ability to perform things that phones could do 5 years prior... that is not my definition of revolutionary.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
tl;dw

One word replies should be a bannable offense.

I didn't pay much attention to the iPhone craze, partly because of me being here in Korea. Funny how the iPhone is receiving so much attention here now that the gubmint finally let it into this marketplace, much to Samsung's chagrin (they even sent an exec to plead/bribe officials into denying the iPhone's entry at the 11th hour.) But I like what I see on this new phone from Microsoft, and the Xbox feature is pretty cool since I'm a gamer. The scrolling interface is also pretty sweet.

I'll probably end up getting this one instead of the iPhone because I hate Apple and the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Mblova

Reaction score
This is AWESOME. I have 6.1 and it's ehh, but was waiting for this.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile