• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need recommendations on New York tailors

Sam99

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I'm new here and excited to be part of your community.
My name is Sam and I am having a difficult time finding the right tailor here in Brooklyn, NY.
I have a few slim fit shirts I recently purchased, and I need a tailor who is familiar with slim fit alterations.
Any recommendations on a reliable tailor in Brooklyn or Queens?
Thanks in advance, gents

Regards
Sam

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ercoles does custom work. While I'm not a client, I have seen their work, and it does look really nice.

Not sure if they do alterations, but if they don't perhaps they can give a good recommendation for alterations.

Sam99

Reaction score

@Ercoles
 does custom work.  While I'm not a client, I have seen their work, and it does look really nice.

Not sure if they do alterations, but if they don't perhaps they can give a good recommendation for alterations.

Hi and thanks for the reply.
Are they in Brooklyn?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
make the ride to the LES......go to Stanton Tailor Shop.

close thread.....kthxbye

Sam99

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is there like an online store where I can purchase name brand slim fit shirts and have them do the alterations, as well?

Regards
Sam

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you try Proper Cloth for MTM shirts rather than have OTR altered? They have a NY showroom that can either measure you up or assess the first shirt you make, suggest corrections, and even remake your first shirt for free. I've been very happy with their service, choice of fabrics and website

/plug

Sam99

Reaction score

Why don't you try Proper Cloth for MTM shirts rather than have OTR altered? They have a NY showroom that can either measure you up or assess the first shirt you make, suggest corrections, and even remake your first shirt for free. I've been very happy with their service, choice of fabrics and website 

/plug

What is MTM, OTR? Sorry, I'm new here. : (

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTR - off the rack. Any shirt you buy that's already made.

MTM - made to measure. Your measurements (yoke, chest width, length etc) are used to make a shirt (usually from a standard pattern)

Proper Clothis the latter - check out their very useful and informative website

BTW I have no affiliation whatsoever with them, just a happy customer. @ccallis works there and is great at answering questions in the Proper Cloth Thread

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i doubt there are any online stores that do alterations on their shirts before they go out the door.

there are numerous companies that will make you a shirt to your measurements (MTM) Custom made shirts.
quality and prices vary from company to company.

how much work do the shirts need.
your local dry cleaner could easily add darts if that is all you need. they can take in as much as 2-3" from the back

if the sleeves feel to full, then you better go to someone who knows how to alter a shirt.

I do not alter shirts that I did not make.
I doubt ercole wants you to show up with your shirts for alterations either.
and going out to the middle of nowhere in Brooklyn is not necessary for simple shirt alterations.

Last edited:

Sam99

Reaction score

OTR - off the rack. Any shirt you buy that's already made.

MTM - made to measure. Your measurements (yoke, chest width, length etc) are used to make a shirt (usually from a standard pattern)

Proper Clothis the latter - check out their very useful and informative website

BTW I have no affiliation whatsoever with them, just a happy customer. @ccallis works there and is great at answering questions in the Proper Cloth Thread

I will note that, thank you

Sam

Sam99

Reaction score

i doubt there are any online stores that do alterations on their shirts before they go out the door.

there are numerous companies that will make you a shirt to your measurements (MTM) Custom made shirts.
quality and prices vary from company to company.

how much work do the shirts need.
your local dry cleaner could easily add darts if that is all you need. they can take in as much as 2-3" from the back

if the sleeves feel to full, then you better go to someone who knows how to alter a shirt.

I do not alter shirts that I did not make.
I doubt ercole wants you to show up with your shirts for alterations either.
and going out to the middle of nowhere in Brooklyn is not necessary for simple shirt alterations.

I might just have to go that route. Thank you

Sam

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members