• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLH03

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a collar type that will stay under the jacket lapels? I previously returned a shirt with the Classic Spread (C6), as the collar points were too short.

I'm particularly curious about the Italian Spread varieties (C13-C21).

Also, how different are the two Italian Button Down options (C22 vs C23)? I have a C22 and like it, but I'm considering going C23 for a custom shirt.

Thanks.
The spread collars, at least the Italian spread I have doesn’t really stay up under a collar all that well, even though it has fairly long points. Your best bet there is the cooper collar or one of the button down. I really like the Italian button down collars they have on some of the oxfords

Stylewords

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a collar type that will stay under the jacket lapels? I previously returned a shirt with the Classic Spread (C6), as the collar points were too short.

I'm particularly curious about the Italian Spread varieties (C13-C21).

Also, how different are the two Italian Button Down options (C22 vs C23)? I have a C22 and like it, but I'm considering going C23 for a custom shirt.

Thanks.
The Italian spread collars seem to work for some people, but many, myself included, find that they don't fall well under the jacket. It seem to me that that having longer points doesn't help if the collar is a lot taller (as is the case of the Italian collars). I would love a normal height collar with just much longer collar points. Others may have a different experience.

zspasic1

Reaction score
I just looked at the email about the new MTO shirt program and checked it out. It was a little unclear as to what the difference in between this and what they had been offering, which is, apparently, their MTM program. It looks like there is a $20 upcharge to go from MTO to MTM, which really only comes into play if you're wanting to alter any of the measurements from their basic sizing. So if their current sizes work well for you but you want to pick out your collar style/other details, it may be a good option.

I'm not sure about the pricing compared to competitors, though. Prices starting at $78 for MTO, which would mean starting at $98 for MTM. At that point, you're solidly in ProperCloth territory, who I view as sort of the gold standard of online custom shirts. Although I'm not sure I would say that PC is that much superior to SM in terms of quality, the PC interface is just so much better. Spier is quoting over 200 fabrics currently available, but it's kind of a mess if you're trying to view them. And while Spier's selection of collar styles seems to be expanded, I'm not sure the graphic representations are quite as valuable as the actual photographs that PC uses on their website.
I like the idea behind the MTO shirt program. I just wish that they didn’t increase the price of MTM shirts along with it

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have for me once. I had to email them for the request which made it not so expedited. But to be fair they got it to me by the requested date and did not charge anything extra.
Good idea. Will try now.
They got back to me quickly.
For $20 they will express ship.
I said hell yeah.

Last edited:

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a quick update. Spier is expediting my order for $20 (well worth it as I leave to Spain for a wedding early Thursday) and I will receive it by Monday. Plenty of time to get the pants hemmed.
Luckily their 42 Slim suit almost always fits me right out of the box other than hemming of the trousers. Hopefully this time will be no different.

I know some of you have complained about S&M communication but I've always had a very good experience in that realm.

I did as another member suggested an emailed them with my request to expedite. I also hit them up on instagram and got very rapid responses from both.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Some of the recent releases and teases have me wondering if I should cave and get a new S/S go-to sportcoat. Normally I'm a bigger fan of F/W fabrics and releases but they've really brought it this season. Might have to add a few more listings on the B/S/T thread.

Lapel1010

Reaction score
Thoughts on the fit of this? It's a 38 contemporary but I think I need a 38 slim. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3174.jpeg
    IMG_3174.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the fit of this? It's a 38 contemporary but I think I need a 38 slim. Thanks!

View attachment 2182279
Are you referring to the jacket waist? You could have it taken in a little. Personally, I'd rather stick with contemporary and take it in rather than go with slim and let it out

BlueSteel

Reaction score
What’re your guys’ thoughts on mixing contemporary jackets with slim trousers and slim jackets with contemporary trousers?
Depends on your build. But for me, I realized that I preferred Contemporary in both. I found a Contemp jacket with Slim trousers made the pants look even more "peg leg".

First pic below is Contemp jacket with Slim trousers. Second pic below is both pieces Contemp. For me the second pic shows a lot more proportionality and classic style:

Sept 6 Outfit Different Trousers (2).jpg

S&M Sand Donegal Twill Jan 2 2023 (2).jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads