• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am with you on the green velvet. If I had the need (multiple events during the year) and was adding to existing black tie wear (Midnight DB shawl two piece, and separate Ivory SB shawl odd dinner jacket) I'd likely add a blackwatch or similar odd dinner jacket vice a green velvet (maybe I'd do black velvet??)

I just prefer the green velvet cause I dig green...but I think any of the standard velvets or even a tartan could work in this place for a winter DJ that is more informal and festive...

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just prefer the green velvet cause I dig green...but I think any of the standard velvets or even a tartan could work in this place for a winter DJ that is more informal and festive...

Like I said, obviously subjective. A couple of folks here have good looking ones. Still not for me, but they're far from ugly

Yeah, what @ericgereghty said, some of them look good, just not for me, maybe it’s the near ubiquitousness of that particular makeup. FWIW, green is my favorite color…..

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manin Bespoke.

Screenshot (1717).png
Screenshot (1718).png

Johnmdub

Reaction score
Hi all,
Got some great advice here when I got my first dinner suit (pic here, worn at my birthday last summer, vintage 1960s barathea double breasted) and I’m hoping for some more help.
Getting married in August and think I want basically the Casablanca jacket, but not having much luck finding one in my budget. Spier and Mackay do one, but not in stock again this year, anyone any tips?
Maybe someone here is thinking of selling something in a 40/42? Double breasted shawl collar doesn’t seem so easy to find
IMG_1394.jpeg

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Got some great advice here when I got my first dinner suit (pic here, worn at my birthday last summer, vintage 1960s Barthes double breasted) and I’m hoping for some more help.
Getting married in August and think I want basically the Casablanca jacket, but not having much luck finding one in my budget. Spier and Mackay do one, but not in stock again this year, anyone any tips?
Maybe someone here is thinking of selling something in a 40/42? Double breasted shawl collar doesn’t seem so easy to find View attachment 2182051

maybe reach out to them and see if Spier and Mackay would do a MTO one for you?

Johnmdub

Reaction score
maybe reach out to them and see if Spier and Mackay would do a MTO one for you?
Considered it, but as I’m in Europe it’s pretty expensive once you add taxes and import charges, so hoping to find something cheaper if I can
(weddings are expensive - lots of expenses coming up)

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Hi all,
Got some great advice here when I got my first dinner suit (pic here, worn at my birthday last summer, vintage 1960s barathea double breasted) and I’m hoping for some more help.
Maybe someone here is thinking of selling something in a 40/42? Double breasted shawl collar doesn’t seem so easy to find View attachment 2182051
Maybe this one?

Johnmdub

Reaction score
Maybe this one?
Saw that option as well, also looks great - but four month turnaround time. Alsp would have the same import costs etc, pushes up to the same 800 cost as the spier one

acconrad

Reaction score
Hi all,
THta's a nice jacket it just fits like a sack literally no curve from shoulders to waist. If that's what you have I think just tightening up the waist would make it look x10 better

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
No idea your exact price range. And understand this is not DB, but it looks pretty nice. Might be an ok option

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
If Suitsupply's double breasted shawl jackets made in their online MTO program look as good IRL as they do on the website, I'd consider them. Only downside is that you cannot get it without vents.
Skärmavbild 2024-05-10 kl. 08.57.22.png

Johnmdub

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Don’t think I’ll alter the black one - I kind of like the severe silhouette, and honestly it’s pretty heavy, hence why I’m in the market for something new for the wedding.
Have had the suitsupply in my basket for a couple of weeks, it’s nearly perfect - lowering buttoning stance and it would be ideal.
What’s the opinion on tropical wool for a jacket like this? It’s their cheapest off white option

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member