• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it is the brown sting ray BS samples frpm G&G then that has a rear seam, i think there also might be a deco in black ray too.

I remember that Tony told me they broke close to 20 needles trying to stitch them whilst making them, i honestly dont think sting ray would be possible todo seamless, nor croc or ostrich!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Ostrich is nice and flexible I think. But I'm sure those stingray wholecuts from G&G had a seam.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I have heard that a stingray whole cut can't be made larger than a certain shoe size because large stingray hides are few and far between.

thelonius

Reaction score
I've worked with stingray...and I'd like to see an example of a true seamless wholecut in SR.

I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't know where the movement comes from. Blocking for a seamless wholecut isn't just about stretching, it's also about compression. The beads can't compress.

What kind of stingray are you, and others previously, talking about ?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What kind of stingray are you, and others previously, talking about ?

Do a Bing search...Dasyatis Bleekeri...it all looks the same, to me, colour variations aside.

They don't get much bigger than 25" long...not all of it usable. The skins are covered with small "ivory" beads. Hell on needles. A nightmare for making straight, consistent, evenly spaced stitches.

Last edited:

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Luk-Cha -
do you think that Cleverley is generally a better fitter than other makers? I like my Cleverley's, but I was mildly dissappointed by the fit and I've since been reluctant to order another pair. I finally decided to go in a different direction, but have wondered whether perhaps my expectations were simply too high.

To get good fit take good customer knowledge of foot and fit and it take good communication to maker.
Communication on fit take place at measure stage at fitting and follow up with email to make sure communication very good.
To learn fit and foot take good effort and art to learn.
Many man not no good on fit because he have rtw shoe and not no of good fit.
Many man think he no good fit,
but he not no good fit.
Customer guide maker on fit,
but to guide on fit is art form like 6 sense.

thelonius

Reaction score
Do a Bing search...Dasyatis Bleekeri...it all looks the same, to me, colour variations aside.

They don't get much bigger than 25" long...not all of it usable. The skins are covered with small "ivory" beads. Hell on needles. A nightmare for making straight, consistent, evenly spaced stitches.

Thank you. After some research I see several species are used, but maybe D bleekeri is the most frequent.

G

Griffindork

To get good fit take good customer knowledge of foot and fit and it take good communication to maker.
Communication on fit take place at measure stage at fitting and follow up with email to make sure communication very good.
To learn fit and foot take good effort and art to learn.
Many man not no good on fit because he have rtw shoe and not no of good fit.
Many man think he no good fit,
but he not no good fit.
Customer guide maker on fit,
but to guide on fit is art form like 6 sense.

Totally possible but i can tell you now after going down the road with other shoemakers cleverley's process doesn't lend itself to getting a perfect fit nearly as much as G&G or Lobb.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Totally possible but i can tell you now after going down the road with other shoemakers cleverley's process doesn't lend itself to getting a perfect fit nearly as much as G&G or Lobb.

Yes Daniel has changed the meassuring process, now it is alot more complex, also G&G are doing fitting shoes so it gives you a chance to double check the fit before the final shoes are made.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just not those stupid plastic try-ons that Lobb Paris uses from time-to-time. The worst was when I asked the workshop on rue Mogador to alter the toe of my last. They didn't want to do it without my also having a fitting with the plastic try-ons for around €350...

To get good fit take good customer knowledge of foot and fit and it take good communication to maker. ...

If so then Anthony Delos must be telepathic because I don't recall having to say anything really...

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kuro what happened to your JLP order that made them not fit?

I only had leather try-on. But I think there're japanese makers using plastic try-on shoes as well. Not sure how well those work.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ERIC18018