• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelling in the Baltics

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to visit the Baltics later this year. Definitely Riga and probably up to Tallinn and to somewhere else from there. Other possibilities include Lithuania, Helsinki, St Petersburg. Stockholm is an option too, but I would probably save that for a more Sweden-focused trip.

Anyone have any experience in these areas? (@Find Finn?)
Would mid September be problematic weather-wise? Probably wouldn't want to go later than that due to the rapid loss of daylight.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mid Sept should be fine. A few years ago I did a southern Sweden and Finland trip late August into mid September, and the weather was great. However, the Swedes really consider Sept 1 to be the end of summer, and some of the schedules changed for touristic activities, so you may want to see if that is true there as well.

Its been a decade since I went to the Baltic countries, and was July when I went. All three capitals are worth spending a few days in.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like it is going to be departing 9/18, returning 9/30 which probably means actually arriving 8/19 and leaving on the 29th...so 10-11 nights...although those could probably still shift a couple days earlier.

Destinations will be
Vilnius, Lithuania
Riga, Latvia
Tallinn, Estonia

With anything interesting that I can find in between them, and potentially a ferry across to Helsinki depending how the timing works.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So August?

You might want to look into spending some time on the Curonian Spit. I spent a couple days in Nida between Riga and going to Vilnius.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like we will be renting a car and doing some driving (despite reports of crazy-ass drivers and bad roads).
We fly into Vilnius on the 18th and have to make it to our Airbnb apartment in Riga on the 22nd.

Renting a car will give us some access to anything outside of Vilnius we want to see (especially if we tire of Vilnius early), and it will let us stop and see the Hill of Crosses on the way up to Riga.

Would like to go see the Curonian Spit, but I don't know that we really have time to make it to the Lithuanian coast...and mid-late september seems like it is well past beach resort town season.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm from Tallinn, ask away :)

If I wanted to take a single day trip (or partial-day) outside of Tallinn, where would I go? Particularly if it is possible by bus/train since we won't have our rental car anymore when we arrive in Tallinn.

Last edited:

Wine Snob

Reaction score
If I wanted to take a single day trip (or partial-day) outside of Tallinn, where would I go? Particularly if it is possible by bus/train since we won't have our rental car anymore when we arrive in Tallinn.
Not much to do then, with a car you could access some places where the bus/train service doesn't run or runs too irregularly to make 1/2 or a full day count.

Then there is old town, museums and maybe some night life.

Wine Snob

Reaction score
ot much to do then, with a car you could access some places where the bus/train service doesn't run or runs too irregularly to make 1/2 or a full day count.

Then there is old town, museums and maybe some night life.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I suppose I could pick up a car then.

We are there for part of a Thursday (morning flight in from Riga) and then all of Friday/Saturday, before taking the ferry to Helsinki Sunday morning.

Haven't decided where to stay yet; probably either find a Hotel or pick out another Airbnb apartment...are there any cool neighborhoods we should look to stay in?

Wine Snob

Reaction score
Haven't decided where to stay yet; probably either find a Hotel or pick out another Airbnb apartment...are there any cool neighborhoods we should look to stay in?
Old Town or hotels close to there. Swissotel is a bit nicer as a large hotel, but a bit too far from where stuff happens, so to speak.

Kadriorg and Kalamaja are nice if you are looking to pick an apartment, first is a 20s-30s neighbourhood built before WW2. second was just voted as one of the most hipster neighbourhoods in the world and gets some love from The Economist.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Old Town or hotels close to there. Swissotel is a bit nicer as a large hotel, but a bit too far from where stuff happens, so to speak.

Kadriorg and Kalamaja are nice if you are looking to pick an apartment, first is a 20s-30s neighbourhood built before WW2. second was just voted as one of the most hipster neighbourhoods in the world and gets some love from The Economist.

Looks like we will be staying 3 nights in an AirBNB on the eastern side of Kalamaja, right outside of Old Town.

Wine Snob

Reaction score
Ah, forgot to check the thread. How was Tallinn and did you like the Kalamaja scenery? I happen to live in the centre of it :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ERIC18018