• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I caught my second cutthroat (Colorado River Cutthroat Trout) yesterday on a stream whose name I won’t reveal at about 9,000’ elevation.

998C28F8-C3F3-4EEB-A7F3-FF9FF7AC5A32.jpeg

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's funny how fish Appreciation has evolved. It used to be you had to wait for the bi-monthly handful of publications (Fly Fisherman, Fly Rod & Reel, etc.) to get your fix. Then came the advance of DVDs featuring exotic fishing locales and amazing fish. And now FB & instagram are filled with an embarrassment of riches as practically every guide is posting their prize catches daily.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny how fish Appreciation has evolved. It used to be you had to wait for the bi-monthly handful of publications (Fly Fisherman, Fly Rod & Reel, etc.) to get your fix. Then came the advance of DVDs featuring exotic fishing locales and amazing fish. And now FB & instagram are filled with an embarrassment of riches as practically every guide is posting their prize catches daily.

You’re just now noticing this? Appreciation Appreciation went this way before anything else.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I purposefully left it to others better qualified to recognize the parallel - I am old, happily married and essentially computer illiterate. I DID make the pages of Fly Fisherman about 30 years ago: each issue they would print a page called the 'Catch & Release Gallery' consisting of pictures sent in by readers. It was a sweet brown I caught on the Big Hole - maybe my most memorable fish and a national ff magazine saw fit to print it - I felt like such a stud!! Of course many fewer people fished back then - for all I know they printed every picture that got sent in.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congrats on your catch and the photo. Did you save a copy of the magazine?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, now that you mention it, but we recently moved my mom into a senior community and sold my childhood home - I knew there was a reason I didn't feel quite right tossing all those stacks of old fishing magazines :facepalm:! Now that I think about it the magazine was called Flyfishing, and it helped to convert my wife (then girlfriend) into a fisherman. She caught a very similar sized brown (just under 30") on her first trip to Montana and I duly sent in the photo to Flyfishing. Back then the only women you saw in fishing magazines were Joan Wulff and Cathy Beck, so of course they put her in the next issue!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@romafan
Googled Joan Wulff and Cathy Beck. Impressive bio's.
Didn't know my niece was a flyfishing instructor/guide until I stumbled across her IG. She quit a corporate gig and decided to make her way fishing. Kudos!
Shame the magazines are gone :(

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, congratulations to your niece on following her dream. It is a tough way to make a living but highly rewarding once you've got some traction. I have not given up hope on the magazines - I have a feeling they would have been separated out from the stacks and stored in curated memento files somewhere - there are still some places to search!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Joan continues to runs her fly fishing school on the Beaverkill.

Here's Lee with Curt Gowdy in Labrador. Nine days after Lee got his pilot's license he was solo flying to Newfoundland to fish.

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So great - fly-in your canoe! Look at those fish!! Lee's life is pretty amazing to contemplate. Born in Valdez, Alaska; arrives in pre-depression Manhattan w/ $100 in his pocket; struggling artist; becomes friends w/ Dan Bailey; marries 1st wife in Greenwich CT; becomes desk jockey; more desk work in Kentucky(!); whole new career as outdoorsman/writer/fisherman; marries soulmate who is casting champion; reigns as king of his chosen profession; checks out piloting his own plane @ 86.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There’s a soon-to-be-released documentary on him. And Joan has hundreds of hours of footage that she doesn’t know what do with. Hope it isn’t tossed.

lefty

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this thread was raised from the dead ....

This was pre Covid, hope to get back out to Utah soon. It's my favorite place to fish.
216F3E50-83B8-436D-B6D5-76F3455D4DFC.jpeg

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice Big A! I've never fished in Utah (never been there, except an airport!!) - Is that the Green? I know nothing about the state except LDS/Park City-Snowbird/Uinta mtns where a buddy used to go - looks a little chilly but nice looking 'bow - luv that coloration w/ the olive flanks & deep magenta gill plate!!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Big A! I've never fished in Utah (never been there, except an airport!!) - Is that the Green? I know nothing about the state except LDS/Park City-Snowbird/Uinta mtns where a buddy used to go - looks a little chilly but nice looking 'bow - luv that coloration w/ the olive flanks & deep magenta gill plate!!

this is actually the Provo a little ways below the dam.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamonyx